Community_discussions_small  

Question

carry-on bag?

9 May 2010 Emma B asked

Emma B
i am leaving this thursday and i just looked thru my contiki package and it says you arent allowed to have a duffel bag!!??! what about for a carry on? i am bringing 1 suitcase and 1 purse but i think i need a carry on as well. Can i bring a duffel bag? do they mean you can;t bring a duffel bag for your main luggage?

please help Smiler
  • 9 May 2010 Kelsey said

Kelsey

Your carry on can only be about the size of a school type backpack.

• 9 May 2010 MagpiePants said

MagpiePants

Does that mean that your carry on can’t be a duffel bag ? I don’t have a suitcase, I have, what is probably a duffel bag ! That’s ok for other luggage is it ??

• 9 May 2010 Kelsey said

Kelsey

Do you mean you have a suitcase for your regular luggage and want to bring a duffel for you carry on?

A duffel would be fine for carry on as long as it is not much bigger then a school sized backpack. This is because the carry on racks on contiki buses are a lot smaller then on airplanes.

• 9 May 2010 MagpiePants said

MagpiePants

No I mean I have a duffel bag for my actual luggage, as I don’t own a suitcase. My carry on luggage would be a small back pack. Sorry to be confusing !
    And sorry to steal your thread Emma :P

• 10 May 2010 Mel the aussie said

Mel the aussie

from wat ive read you prolly wouldnt want a duffle bag for a suitcare neways coz it doesnt offer any protection for ur things inside… but its ultimatly up to u…

• 10 May 2010 cdm115 said

cdm115

There is nothing that prohibits a duffle bag as a suitcase – but many aren’t of high quality and wont offer much protection to your items and are more likely to not survive the airplane and the demands of a tour. If it’s of a better quality then it’ll be fine.

As for a duffle bag as a carry-on for the bus, as long as it’s small enough to fit under the seat or in the overhead section it’s fine – keep in mind these areas are much smaller then on a plane – backpack size is about right.

• 11 May 2010 AstroPhys said

Default_avatar

I was curious about the carry on, one moderator suggested if you think you might be over weight just toss your things into your carry on. I’ve heard nothing about them weighing your carry on or anything like that.

Also, how safe is it to leave your bag on the bus and just use a day bag?

• 12 May 2010 Shannon735 said

Shannon735

We never had our suitcases weighed prior to loading the bus. However, it can’t be so heavy that the bus driver and/or TM can pick it up!

For my carry-on, I normally had a purse (small one) and then I had brought my Puma bowler’s bag. It looks similar to this in size: http://www.uncrate.com/men/ima…-heritage-bag-xl.jpg

So just like mentioned above, it’s about the size of a school back pack.

Also, for most stops, the TM and bus driver locked the bus so that you could leave your carry on bag on the bus and not have to walk about the sites/museums/cities with it unless you wanted to.

• 25 May 2010 dianahue said

dianahue

ok so i have a question so can you take your suitcase your carry on and a purse?

• 27 May 2010 Explorer1132402 said

Default_avatar

yes you can take a suitcase, a carry on and a purse but i tended to put my purse in my carry on bag to give me less to carry.x

• 31 May 2010 Shannon735 said

Shannon735

I normally left my Puma bag on the bus (as the driver locked everything up when we were sight seeing) and I would just take a purse/handbag with me to the sights.

For the sight seeing most people brought small bags rather than back packs. Something big enough to hold your wallet/camera/water bottle, but not so big that it was bulky and a nuisance to carry.

• 31 May 2010 Shawna said

Shawna

If you don’t have a proper suitcase, now is the time to buy one. I only had a carry on, but luggage was on sale for 60% off on top of a buy-one-get-one-half-off deal at literally every single store that carried luggage. I got a 28" good quality suitcase and a matching carry-on for $100 Canadian.

• 31 May 2010 AstroPhys said

Default_avatar

Contiki only cares about your main luggage that is stored under you. They weight that bag and do not care about anything else. You could could have like 3 carry on bags and as long as you had a place to put them they do not seem to care.

If you are worried about going over weight, just stuff all the heavy things into your other bags. I’seen some girls with 3-4 carry on, they throw two under their seats and two above the seats. You can easily bring one large 28" duffle bag with you.

I think the rule is… if they get pulled over and weigh the bags all people and unstowed items do not count in that weight.

Bring a main bag, backpack or purse (or both), and a second duffle bag if you know you will go over.

• 29 Jul 2010 leisioz said

Default_avatar

i took a suitcase that was a little bigger than the measurement as they never check as long as its not too big. i also took a backpack and a small handbag for going out. my hand bag i just kept on the bus and if we were just going somewhere we didnt need our backpacks i just took my wallet and camera and left everything else on the bus. just make sure your bag at the begining of the trip isnt more then 20kg

• 30 Jul 2010 Casey said

Default_avatar

do they actually weigh your “carry-on” bit o the listed 4kg, or just the main luggage to 20?

• 30 Jul 2010 AstroPhys said

Default_avatar

Just your main luggage. If you are over weight they really don’t stop anyone from just pulling out items and putting them in another bag or in the corner while weighing your main luggage.

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.