Community_discussions_small  

Question

28 Dec 2008- 8 Jan 2009 Anyone?

11 Apr 2008 CherrySA asked

Default_avatar
Just wondering if anyone else is as crazy as me going to freezing Europe in December this year? on the above dates?

Also if anyone has any information on a packing list that would be GREATLY appreciated! I know there is a winter packing list but who on earth is going to wear a dress in Europe in Winter???

Would be great to hear from you!
  • 16 Apr 2008 Dulcinea said

Default_avatar

Hey there. I’m also going on the winter tour. I as far as packing, I’m no expert (I live in Sunny Florida), but I’m taking a heavy winter coat, scarf, gloves and a ton of socks. Hope to see you on the trip!

• 16 Apr 2008 CherrySA said

Default_avatar

So are you doing this exact trip on the same dates? I am getting less and less worried about clothes to wear for going out, I think skirts with tights and boots and a nice top will be okay for the nicer places! I am so excited its scary, im already batteling to sleep because i am constantly playing out the trip in my head! I cant imagine how i will be a month before!!!

• 14 May 2008 lauren_in_oz said

lauren_in_oz

Hi guys,

My partner and I are also doing this one…I live in Sydney, Australia and am quite used to sunny and hot summers this time of year but thanks to my Mum re-locating to the middle of Switzerland earlier this year, I’m having Christmas in London with her and then departing on these exact dates for Euro Discovery.

I’m a bit worried because this isn’t a guaranteed departure and it hasn’t been confirmed yet but hopefully we’ll be there! As for clothes…it’s still sunny and warm here in Oz, I haven’t thought that far ahead! But tights and boots can be an invaluable source of warmth…surprisingly!

• 15 May 2008 CherrySA said

Default_avatar

Hi Lauren

I am so glad to meet someone here who is on the same trip!

I am also travelling with my partner we both have family in the UK and are looking forward to spending Christmas with them..!!!

How old are you both?

I wouldn’t worry about the departure date changing tooo much, I have looked on the cancelled trips and the winter trips mainly get cancelled in March April! Besides who wouldn’t want to spend New Year in a foreign country! And the way I look at it is they need 20-25 people for a guaranteed departure … and only something like 5 % of Contiki travellers per tour visit this website and there are 4 of us booked on this tour already so the odds are looking up!

Hope to hear from you soon!

• 15 May 2008 lauren_in_oz said

lauren_in_oz
    quote:
    Originally posted by Explorer1096053:
    Hi Lauren

I am so glad to meet someone here who is on the same trip!

I am also travelling with my partner we both have family in the UK and are looking forward to spending Christmas with them..!!!

How old are you both?

I wouldn’t worry about the departure date changing tooo much, I have looked on the cancelled trips and the winter trips mainly get cancelled in March April! Besides who wouldn’t want to spend New Year in a foreign country! And the way I look at it is they need 20-25 people for a guaranteed departure … and only something like 5 % of Contiki travellers per tour visit this website and there are 4 of us booked on this tour already so the odds are looking up!

Hope to hear from you soon!

Absolutely and the travel agent I’ve been dealing with told me that Contiki have said this is one of the more popular tours so fingers crossed!

My partner and I are both 22, how about you? This is our first time overseas, for both of us, it’s very exciting…but I am worried about freezing my butt off since I’m already feeling the cold here in Sydney and I know that’s nothing compared to London!
  • 23 May 2008 lauren_in_oz said

lauren_in_oz

Hi Cherry, I love your name! My work has been hectic too…I need a holiday!

My partner loves beer; beer and football (rugby league), he’s a typical male. I’m more of a champagne/spirits girl but I’m sure the schnapps in Germany will keep me happy. I’m looking forward to experiencing the nightlife in other countries…in other words, drinking in other countries, haha.

I’d love to go to Dublin as well but I think I’ll have to save that for another trip. I’m dying to go to Prague as well but it’s just getting too costly…I’m on a tight-enough budget as it is now.

I’m very excited…but I know it’s going to go by so quickly.

• 23 Jun 2008 ExplorerSean said

ExplorerSean

i might be going on this trip…

havnt booked yet, was going to wait another month..

its gunna be soooo cold..

• 23 Jun 2008 lauren_in_oz said

lauren_in_oz

Numbers are looking positive; I’ve got my heart set on this trip!

We paid for our trip last week and received a discount.

• 7 Jul 2008 lauren_in_oz said

lauren_in_oz

Bump.

Anyone received any word re: confirmation?

• 14 Jul 2008 CherrySA said

Default_avatar

Hi Michele A…

This trip starts from the RNH in London (I think people from USA have a 14 day trip) this is only a 12 day trip and we are spending New Year in Austria…

Should be great! Let us know if you decide to join…

Lauren…

I have spoken to someone at Contiki.. the trip is Not yet confirmed!..

Hopefully in a couple of months they will tell us for sure!

• 15 Jul 2008 Tara said

Tara

I am so glad to see this post up I just decided to go on this trip for these dates and I’m so excited to see other people have posted here!!! I can’t wait to spend New Years Eve in Austria I hear they have a killer fireworks display.

• 15 Jul 2008 lauren_in_oz said

lauren_in_oz

Cherry, I got the same reply from my travel agent. A little frustrating but from the looks of this thread, we should be good to go.

So just to confirm, where will we be spending New Year’s Eve? And more importantly, I’ve worked out we’ll be spending the 30th of December in Munich, is this right? That’s my boyfriend’s birthday and he loves anything German so it would work out perfectly.

• 16 Jul 2008 Tara said

Tara

Hi Cherry

Yes I am doing the tour alone, I am 23 and from the states. I hope more people get on the forum but I read one post from a contiki mod that said alot of people don’t post on here so there may already be more people than we know about. Heres hoping to that!!

• 17 Jul 2008 Tara said

Tara

It is really nice having people from all over going on the trip thats gonna make it that much more fun.

As for what I want to see the most I don’t know. Before I decided to go on the trip I could have told you but now that i’m going im so excited to see everything its hard to pick just one lol but I think I’ll go with Rome and Paris.

As far as I have read on different sites and heard from people who have been to Europe during the winter say its one of the best times to go because there are not many tourists around. Which means more time for us to see everything lol!!!!

I am going to be arriving early on the 27th the day before the trip because I want to see London before we go. How about you when are you arriving? I was hopping some people on here were gonna get there about the same time so we could get together and explore London.

• 17 Jul 2008 lauren_in_oz said

lauren_in_oz
    quote:
    Originally posted by Tara:
    I am going to be arriving early on the 27th the day before the trip because I want to see London before we go. How about you when are you arriving? I was hopping some people on here were gonna get there about the same time so we could get together and explore London.

I think my partner and I will be arriving the same day from Switzerland.
  • 21 Jul 2008 CherrySA said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by lauren_in_oz:
    Excellent and at least it’s an adults trip so we won’t be offending anyone!

I think I’ll just buy a few clothes in London (I want to go to H&M, Top Shop etc) and then just souveniers on the way, nothing too heavy that’ll send me over when we’re coming back. Also, we’re stopping in Hong Kong for a few days and I’ve heard the shopping is awesome there, so of course I’ll need to experience this first hand, haha.

Exactly, I can survive without sleep and since this is my first time overseas I don’t think I want to waste any hours in the day! Sounds like we’ll get along great – out at night, asleep during the day…perfect!

I’d like to go see a soccer game over in London but I doubt I will. I’m also a little cut because I’m a huge Doctor Who & Shakespeare fan and the guy who plays Doctor Who is currently in the production of Hamlet but it finishes just before we get over there. But I’m sure it’ll still be fantastic.

Hong Kong!!!! You are very lucky!!! Shopping there will be amazing!!! Especially for electronics and Name brand clothes! I gather it’s a stop over and you spending a few days there?? We flying SAA direct to London Heathrow… would have been nice to stop in Dubai which was our original idea but it turned out the flights were cheaper flying direct???

Hey we cant sleep all day… we are going to Europe to see the sights!!! Smiler ha ha ha! I’m going to live on Red Bull!

I know there is a tour in London of where he used to perform… My parents are going to the UK next month and are planning to go and see it here is the link I’m sure you can do it on your own….but London Tours is offering it! Shakespeare Globe

I’m sure there will be lots on when we are over there… just have to wait and see! This booking so far in advance thing doesn’t suit me, I need to know now what is confirmed and what’s not!

Have a awesome day!!!
  • 5 Aug 2008 CherrySA said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    I emailled my travel agent yesterday to see if there was anything I need to know…hopefully he brings me back some good news.

Hi Lauren …

Any news from the travel agent?? we work on Africa time here it takes forever for people to come back to you!!!
  • 5 Aug 2008 lauren_in_oz said

lauren_in_oz
    quote:
    Originally posted by Explorer1096053:
    quote:
    I emailled my travel agent yesterday to see if there was anything I need to know…hopefully he brings me back some good news.

Hi Lauren …

Any news from the travel agent?? we work on Africa time here it takes forever for people to come back to you!!!

Hi Cherry,

I think he may be running on African time, no response from him as yet! Might give him a call today at some time.

Saving is going okay, we had to shell out for some accomodation in London before I go to Switzerland and flights to and from so that put a dent in the account but with four months to go, I’m sure we’ll be fine. Happy birthday by the way! Unfortunately mine has been and gone but hopefully someone will take pity on me and offer me some coin to head OS with!

At the moment I’m a little worried about shoes; I just bought a good pair of boots (that are hot too!) but my feet get cold very easily and I don’t think they’ll be very comfortable when I’m wearing a thick pair of socks nor when I’m in areas that are a lot colder than Sydney in Winter. I definitely won’t be bringing heels, that’s for sure.

I’m not sure what I’m doing luggage wise yet. I’ll have a handbag that I’ll fill with the essentials (asthma medication, wallet, passport, ipod etc) and then just a suitcase I guess. I’ve been doing boxing with my personal trainer so hopefully by the time I need to carry a month’s worth of clothing around Europe I’ll have the muscles to do so, haha.
  • 9 Aug 2008 Vanessa611 said

Vanessa611

Hi everyone! My name’s Vanessa and I just booked this tour with a friend. I’m from New York City and this will be my first time going to Europe! I’m really excited!

• 10 Aug 2008 Tara said

Tara

Yay !!! We got another one on the trip woo hooo!! I swear I’m a little too excited about this trip lol.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion