Community_discussions_small  

Question

Optional dinners and stuff...which ones are a must?

4 Jun 2008 Nikki D.Ca asked

Nikki D.Ca
As Im preparing all my funds that have been drained from my bank account for this trip! I'm wondering if anyone can offer advice on which optionals were really fun and if there were any you could of done without? Thakns!
  • 4 Jun 2008 Nikki D.Ca said

Nikki D.Ca

I’m doing the European Encounter June 22nd…

wondering mostly about the Venetian Restaurant
    Tuscan evening
    Monaco Restaurant
    and Nouvelle Eve Dinner and show

those are the ones I’ve been seeing complaints about

• 4 Jun 2008 Cyphus said

Default_avatar

I have not gone on the trip yet!!!!!

I too have heard mixed reviews on: tuscan evening/ Venetian restaurant-

I heard that the Jungfrau mountain optional was a great experience.

I have heard that the Nouvelle Eve dinner/show was not so great… I was thinking about prebooking tickets for the Moulin Rouge dinner/show on that same evening!!! It will cost a bit more, but hey…. I’d love to be able to say that I’ve ‘gone to the Moulin Rouge’. Red Face<!--graemlin::o-->

Nikki D.Ca

after reading so much negative stuff about the Nouvelle Eve I don’t think I will go…. it lists it at 114 euros, and that’s 228 dollars and that is ALOT!!!!! def. doing the white water raftingn hopefully it will make up for it Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

Nikki D.Ca

when is your guys trip?

Nikki D.Ca

agree. thats a 7 night cruise to mexico!

• 4 Jun 2008 Cyphus said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by benji:
    However, per person, the Nouvelle Eve comes in at CAD183 and Moulin Rouge CAD234.

ooo.. wince I did NOT think of it that way.. nervous laugh

• 4 Jun 2008 Jess-ade said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by OffToSeeTheWorld:
    Ive been convincing myself that the amount of Euros are actually Australian dollars, so $114 AUD isnt too bad.
    I know that by convincing myself of this and seeing my Australian dollars disappear will probably freak me out lol but I just know if I start to double everything and say “Omg im spending this much! Its too expensive!” then it work out worse for me.
    I dont know why they dont make the night at the Moulin Rouge if its so much better! I’ll probably just go to the Nouvelle Eve though because I assume thats where most of the group will go Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

I’ve read on here somewhere that it’s because Moulin Rouge is too packed out during summer to get group tickets.

I’ve decided that I’m not going to do the dinner and show, I’m just going to see the Moulin Rouge show. That’s only 99euros (ONLY!) so we’ll get our own food elsewhere a lot cheaper (they’re trying to charge us 45 euros for food that I’ve heard is mediocre – for 2 of us that’s a waste 90 euros… no thanks!).

• 4 Jun 2008 PinaI said

PinaI

I didn’t have the “venetian” dinner when I did my tour but I did have the others.

I would pass on Nouvelle Eve if I went again.

I would do the Tuscan dinner, thought that was good fun.

Monaco was nice, it’s one night where everyone seems to dress up just that little bit more and have a good time. You could skip it if you wanted to save money but I don’t remember there being too much else around the hotel for you to do so, I would suggest going into town with the group but then pick up a pizza or something take-away and just eat that around the Piazza, a few people on my trip did that and, if I went again I would probably do the same.

Nikki D.Ca

Thanks Pina! yea Im hearing alot of good stuff about the Tuscan Dinner

• 17 Feb 2009 Nikki D.Ca said

Nikki D.Ca

after coming back from my tour I have to warn, DO NOT waste money on the switzerland optional. the folklore show is so boring! and food was soo gross. the boat ride was ok, but could of done without it! wish we would of taken the day to do the bobsled thing down the mountain. All the other optionals were well worth it, and i ended up doing nouvelle eve and had a great time! Since it’s the last night of the tour it’s a really good night

• 17 Feb 2009 cdm115 said

cdm115

Nikki,

If Nouvelle eve is 114 euro then it actually converts to 143 USD, not 228. That’s using todays exchange rate.

I’ve mostly heard good things about Nouvelle Eve. But it’s still just a Vegas style show, something to experience at least once to see if you like it, but doesn’t have to be done in Paris (or Vegas).

As for the dinners. The Venice dinner generally gets mixed reviews, I personally didn’t like it. The dinner in Florence (Tuscan dinner) generally gets good reviews, and I did like that one.

• 17 Feb 2009 katrina said

Default_avatar

i and 5 others in my tour skipped the venetian restaurant, and went to another restaurant in venice, which was just as good, but cheaper! i think with most of the optional extra dinners you can go just as good for cheaper, and you can get to know others in your group a bit better (who you may not hang out with otherwise).

i did do the tuscan dinner though, and the food and wine were both really good Smiler<!--graemlin::)--> was lots of fun, also since we went out to the “space electronic disco” afterwards having already had a fair bit of wine…

• 19 Feb 2009 annafazz said

Default_avatar

hey nikki!

i’ve not been to the nouvelle show but i have been to the moulin rouge. you pay through the nose but it’s totally worth it! the show was AMAZING and you just sit there with your mouth open the entire time!!

the food was pretty bad so like jess-ade was saying, you’re better off taking the 99 euro option.

the monte carlo dinner was ok – nothing extravagent but like pina said, it’s a nice night for everyone to dress up and be together…and there really isn’t all that much else around…

we chose to ditch the tuscan dinner on our trip and went to a restaurant recommended by a friend:

www.ristorantelagiostra.com

it was THE BEST MEAL I’VE EVER HAD! and i’ve been recommending it to everyone since! there were 5 of us who went to dinner together and we ended up paying roughly the same as the people who did the tuscan dinner…but we got entree’s, mains, desserts and wine. and the chef came out and said hello and we got photos and now i’m rambling so i’ll stop…but yes. It was great :-)

hope this helps!!

• 21 Feb 2009 Elmo5226 said

Elmo5226

hey guys… i went to the paris show the nouvell or however if i was you i would skip it.. not so much fun… just sit there and see people dance i would def.. do the white water rafting.. In Venice we opted not to eat aaround st marks square too expensive we went to this really small restaurant we were a group of 10 and we ended just paying all together about 195 euros.. amazing spheggati ever and lasagna seriosly if i can get the name soon i will pist it.. goodluck!

• 2 Mar 2009 Nat said

Default_avatar

Hey guys…we did the Moulin Rouge and I would definately suggest it, everyone else said the Novelle Eve wasnt that great. Also the tuscan dinner…DONT DO IT…it was so bad that noone wanted to do any of the other dinners. It was boiling hot and 3 groups were crammed into this celler/basement and the food was pretty average too. If you have the option for the Gondola ride in Venice, i’d suggest not doing it and getting a group of people to organise one yourself because you only go down the back canals instead of if you organise it yourself you go down the main ones. Hope this helps Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 3 Mar 2009 Kiks said

Default_avatar

has anybody been to the belly dancing and dinner in Istanbal? I’m tempted, but dont wanna waste tonnes of money :/

• 6 Mar 2009 LorneB said

LorneB

Some tours have boat rides at night where you get dinner and cheap alcohol. They are a must.

• 7 Mar 2009 Explorer1117237 said

Default_avatar

What if you just got your own dinner, and then went to the Moulin Rouge Show? Is the dinner really that special for 50 euros more?

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.