Community_discussions_small  

Question

Stonehenge - European Discovery???

8 Dec 2008 subzero asked

Default_avatar
Can anyone help me here please. Just wanting to know if on the European Discovery Winter tour, you get to see Stonehenge or can see it as an optional?

Thanks in advance!
  • 8 Dec 2008 Jeremy said

Jeremy

The itinerary is not loading for me, but my guess is probably not.

Most tours do not actually do any sight seeing in London and is just used as a departure point. Only those that are touring the United Kingdom go to stonehenge or do any sight seeing in the country from what I have seen

I recommend getting to London early and doing a day tour with an external company like Evan Evans or something. I did one with them and it was about 35 pounds – and it went to Windsor Castle, Salisbury Cathedral, and Stonehenge. You could also find ones that go to Bath and other places, likely swapping out for Salisbury Cathedral.

• 8 Dec 2008 retrospeck said

Default_avatar

I did one of the daytours. I think it was through Gray Line. It was an all day tour, and they picked us up at the Royal National.

We went to Windsor, Bath and Stonehedge. The tour we went to included lunch at a pub by Stonehedge.

They drop you off at Victoria Station and we just used the Tube to get back to the hotel.

• 8 Dec 2008 subzero said

Default_avatar

Thanks for the replys!

I will look into doing a day tour then.

• 8 Dec 2008 cdm115 said

cdm115

None of the europe tours include a tour of London or the surrounding area, but you can book these things on your own or at the contiki basement.

• 9 Dec 2008 Kiwichick13 said

Default_avatar

Hi,
    Can anyone recommend a good company to do a tour with?? Im also wanting to go to Stonehenge while Im in the UK

• 9 Dec 2008 subzero said

Default_avatar
  • 9 Dec 2008 Explorer1084391 said

Default_avatar

Try this

www.viator.com

• 9 Dec 2008 subzero said

Default_avatar

Thanks for that Explorer1084391. The Great British Heritage Pass looks like a great deal. Does anyone know if these are any good? They just seem to good of a deal

• 10 Dec 2008 subzero said

Default_avatar

Thanks for the info Benji! Do you happen to know if buses etc are reasonably priced or not o get to these attractions? I was thinking of getting The Great British Heritage Pass as it looks like a wicked deal, but that doesn’t include the traveling to the attractions.

• 10 Dec 2008 Jeremy said

Jeremy

I will say that stonehenge is in the middle of nowhere. I am not sure of the individual price to get out there, but it is very, very remote about an hour outside of London. I am guessing it would be a bit expensive to actually travel there and back.

Default_avatar

Thanks Jeremy. I may look into seeing if I can get a rental car then for the extra time I’m over there if I can’t get transport with my friends.

• 10 Dec 2008 Explorer1084391 said

Default_avatar

The Great British Heritage Pass is good if u are really going to travel around and see heaps of sites….

But a lot of major ones excluding Windsor Castle are not on the list. But if u have only a few days to look around then I suggest buy tickets online much more cheaper or when u get there.

Or do tours like suggested above where entrances are covered.

Default_avatar

Thanks for the info Explorer1084391. It doesn’t mention what sites are listed on the website for these passes jut that there is aprox 600 places you can gain entry too.

Only downside I have to orginizing a tour now online, is that after my contiki we meeting up with a mate and don’t know what he has planned for us yet!

• 11 Dec 2008 Explorer1084391 said

Default_avatar

What we are planning on doing is since we are spending one week in England before the trip we are going to hire a car and drive around. We staying with relatives in stafford and then drive to places and back from there…. dont pre book sights maybe rent a car and drive around coz renting an economy car is like $63 NZD with unlimited mileage if booking for 7 dyas… so u’ll get good offers and if a few of you travelling together then u’ll can save more. Also plans may change and if u have pre booked a place then u may not be able to get there and money wasted…. but doing it by yourself for a few days is fun so u get a bit of both- organised tour by Contiki as well as your own thing Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 14 Dec 2008 subzero said

Default_avatar

Hi Explorer1084391, was thinking of renting a car but as under 25 cant find one that will do it for us.

Does anyone know of a car rental place in the UK that is cheap and will rent to under 25? Thanks

• 23 Dec 2008 Kiwichick13 said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by benji:

http://www.evanevanstours.co.uk/windsor-stonehenge-bath.htm

It was DEFINITELY worth it! It was recommended to me by someone here on the forums, and it was great!

I highly recommend Evans Evans for any pre-post tours you may want!

Thank you
    I’m glad to hear these guys are good, it is who my travel agent booked us with.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion