Community_discussions_small  

Comment

UK Working Visa Help! :)

11 Jan 2011 Louise said

Louise
Hi guys.. Sorry if I'm doubling up on a post that is already on here, but I had a couple of questions about getting a working visa for the UK (I'm from Australia) as I'm wanting to work after my tour..
Do you know what sort of requirements there are for Europe/UK working visas?
And if you get a UK working visa, where does that allow you to work?
Are other visa's needed if I wanted to work outside the UK (ie. Spain, Germany, etc)?
And where do I apply? Smiler

Thanks Smiler
  • 12 Jan 2011 Karina88 said

Karina88

Hey Louise,
    I applied for my UK Visa (youth mobility scheme) a few weeks ago, so hopefully i can help with a few of your questions.

What Visa are you intending of applying for?
    If its the Youth Mobility Scheme Visa then you have to be 18-30, Australian (or any nationality listed on the site), have the equivalent to 1600 GREAT BRITIAN POUNDS in your account when applying.

If you get a UK visa that allows you to work in england, scotland, wales and nothern ireland.
    I think you’ll need a different kind of visa to work in european countries.

Here is a website i used to help me:

http://bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/w…youthmobilityscheme/

Hope that answers some of your questions.

When do you plan to go over?

Also, there is a thread in this section called aussies moving to the uk in 2011..check that out, its also pretty helpful Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 13 Jan 2011 Louise said

Louise

Thanks heaps for your help! The site is definitely looking useful already! Yeah I’m applying for the Youth Mobility Scheme Visa. Heading over for my tour in July then working afterwards.

I’ve found a couple of programs that help you with your visa and guarantee you a job when you get there, but I don’t think I want a job set in concrete when I don’t know where around the UK I want to work!

I shall check out the other thread, thanks. When are you planning on heading over?

• 13 Jan 2011 Karina88 said

Karina88

I just got an email today saying my visa has been approved, YAAAY!
    i head over on the 13th march, going to ireland for a few days then doing a contiki tour around europe and then back to the UK to live Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->

• 14 Jan 2011 Louise said

Louise

Oh yay!! That’s so exciting!! Smiler<!--graemlin::)--> Thanks to that useful website, I’m about to start applying for mine now, wheww!
    Thanks for your help too, its great!
    One other quick question.. Am I supposed to have an address in the UK before doing my visa application?

• 14 Jan 2011 Karina88 said

Karina88

Nah, i know it says to have you address in the uk handy but they never ask for it!

good luck Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->

• 14 Jan 2011 Karina88 said

Karina88

oh louise by the way you can only apply for your visa up to 3 months before you intend on travelling..so if ur going in july you cant apply until like april…just re-read you ae going in july….

• 16 Jan 2011 Louise said

Louise

Ooh really? Aw I was hoping just to get it done so I can say that everything is organised for the trip! :P

• 16 Jan 2011 Karina88 said

Karina88

well you can do it now but just just put your inteded travel date within the next 3 months….but that does mean it will cut how long you can stay there sicne you wont be going until july….

btw, my visa arrived today Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->

• 18 Jan 2011 Louise said

Louise

oooh ok that makes sense! hrmm i don’t know if i want to cut 3 months off the end of that. but if i do that, will anything be said when i enter later than the date on the visa?

that is so exciting! you must be pumped!

• 19 Jan 2011 Nick Pap said

Default_avatar

This has definitely been very helpful. I’m also going to apply under the Youth Mobility Scheme, however I’m not too keen on sending my passport away Confused<!--graemlin::confused:-->

• 20 Jan 2011 Karina88 said

Karina88

Louise – I think you have 30 days to enter the UK after the start date of entry.

Nick – I had no problem with sending my passport away..you send it ‘platnium express’ so its all good. They recieved it in 2 days and 2 days when they sent it back to me. + also you can keep track of where the package is too which is great Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->
    When are you planning on heading over?

• 20 Jan 2011 Nick Pap said

Default_avatar

Yeah I guess I won’t need it for those 4 days haha. I don’t think I’ll be in the UK until maybe 40 or so days after I enter Europe so I hope that won’t be an issue :/ Karina how did you go with the biometrics thing? I think I have to go interstate to get it done, which is hugely annoying but I guess its all part of the process.

• 20 Jan 2011 Karina88 said

Karina88

My passport was away longer than 4 days because they have to process your application and then if it gets approved they put the visa in your passport and send it back…it took 8 working days for my visa to get processed/approved. but it may take longer (they said to me approx 15 working days, but got it done quicker)

Yeah i had to travel 5 hours to sydney to get my biometrics done..it was a pain in the butt because it literally takes 5mins. they just do your fingerprints, get a photo taken and stamp your application, but yeah it has to be done, all part o the process.

Im going to ireland first and then doing a tour around europe so i wont be in the UK for about 30 days, but i dont think that matters?

• 20 Jan 2011 Louise said

Louise

Thanks for the help Karina! It’s been really great Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

Ah it is a bit of a pain, having to travel for the biometrics scan. I’m going to have to travel 6 hours to Melbourne, even though we’re only 4 hours from Adelaide. It sucks that I can’t have it done in Adelaide!

• 21 Jan 2011 Nick Pap said

Default_avatar

Yeah agreed Louise.. I’m from Adelaide so it would be handy to just get it done here. Surely the local police would have some fingerprinting thing you would think… Confused<!--graemlin::confused:--> Not that I really mind having to go to Melbourne for it, any excuse will do Cool<!--graemlin::cool:-->

• 23 Jan 2011 Louise said

Louise

Yeah I agree. I don’t really understand why we can’t get fingerprints done at our local police station but hey. Although I also agree with any excuse to go to Melbourne.

So when are you heading over to the UK anyway?

• 23 Jan 2011 JennyLeighS86 said

JennyLeighS86

How hard is it to get a Visa to live and work in the UK? I have wanted to move to the UK for a long time but I have no idea what are the steps you have to take or whether it is a realistic goal. I heard that I need a visa to move to the UK and obviously I’d need a job but is it hard to get sponsorship if you are not in an ‘upper level’ position or in demand job or is it possible for an average entry level employee open to any decent paying job to get sponsored or get a visa? I don’t really know much about these things so any advice is helpful from those who have done this before.

• 23 Jan 2011 Karina88 said

Karina88

Hey Jenny, if you are aged between 18 and 30 then you can apply for the youth mobility scheme visa and therefore the government acts as your sponser.

I recently got mine approved and it was pretty easy..at first i was like ‘ugh this will be difficult’ because i couldnt find any official facts, but once i did it became very easy.

go to http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/

you will find all the information you need on there regarding what visa you need to apply for, how to do it etc. its also the site where you apply online Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

if you have any questions feel free to ask.

• 24 Jan 2011 JennyLeighS86 said

JennyLeighS86

Karina,

Thanks for your help but unfortunately it does not allow US citizens apply for the Youth Mobility scheme, I did some more research last night too and it seems short of being sponsored or getting married it is not very easy. Do any UK citizens know how difficult it is to find an employer willing to sponsor an entry level US citizen looking for employment in the UK?

• 28 Jan 2011 Nick Pap said

Default_avatar

Louise – I head over to Europe in mid May this year. Starting in Greece for about a month, then off to Glastonbury in England and Roskilde in Denmark.. bit more travelling here and there.. then going on the 46 day camping Contiki on July 12th or 13th. Planning to go to see the UK properly around late October – early November and staying over the new year at least. I don’t really plan on working all that much, but as I want to stay in Europe for a year I think that this kind of visa would be the easiest for me to get ..and if I do run out of cash then working in the UK would be the best due to the language barrier of other countries etc.

How about yourself?

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion