Community_discussions_small  

Comment

46 Camping tour Aug. 19, 2008 Oct. 03, 2008

13 Nov 2007 Dasbot said

Default_avatar
Hey all
Me and a mate are going on this tour, i hoping too find other ppl who are going on this tour.
  • 25 Jun 2008 Mick said

Default_avatar

G’day Peter.
    Is there anyone on this tour from Brisbane?

• 26 Jun 2008 Anjel said

Anjel

Hi again

Im so envious of Tamara, she has already started her trip!! Im starting to count down the working days, which just makes them go even slower…
    Ill post a meeting time and place for the walking tour a few days before for anyone whose email I dont have.
    Otherwise, see you all there. Oh, does anyone know how much it rains in Europe in september? Im trying to decide what to pack and if I need to buy anything.

• 26 Jun 2008 Mick said

Default_avatar

AJ, the last time i was in Europe was in September and it only rained 3 times during the 37 day trip. Once in Paris but that only lasted for a few hours, again in Corfu but that lasted for most of the day, and again while we were in Austria. Might be a good idea to bring a rainproof jacket.

• 26 Jun 2008 Mick said

Default_avatar

And i’m envious of Tamara too. I can’t wait till i go away. Only 41 days till flight! I’ll definately keep an eye out for your email regarding the walking tour.

• 27 Jun 2008 Mick said

Default_avatar

Hey you lot. I’m sure we’ve had this discussion in the past but i’m going to ask again. What kind of bag are you guys going to use on this trip? Suit case, duffle bag, back pack etc.

• 27 Jun 2008 Serena! said

Serena!

hi,
    um I have a suitcase.
    i did have a bag when i first left to come overseas but it has now broken and because i have been living in the uk since september i have a suitcase. so that is wat i am taking.
    it is only a small hand luggage size one.
    i hope it fits everything i need. I am hoping it easy to carry up stairs if we need.
    well cant wait to see you

• 27 Jun 2008 Mick said

Default_avatar

Hi Serena. I’ve got a suitcase myself but it’s a full size one and i’m wondering if it’s going to be too big for camping. Considered a duffle bag or something like that. Not really sure what to do so i thought i’d ask everyone on here.

• 27 Jun 2008 Bess said

Bess

Hey
    I ve got a suitcase too, like Serenas back pack my back pack has broken too, my suitcase is a medium size one not too big but not too small.
    im getting excited not very long now.

• 28 Jun 2008 Kristen said

Default_avatar

hey guys..
    does anyone know how big our group is?
    im taking a back pack that i got from a camping store… i hope mine doesnt breakFrowner<!--graemlin::(-->
    i have myspace and facebook if anyone wants to add me… kristenvarday@hotmail.com

• 29 Jun 2008 Serena! said

Serena!

hey. think there is around 50 people of this tour.
    dont worry i dont think ur bag will break if it is from a camping store, ours was not a very good quality. so dont worry!! lol

• 29 Jun 2008 Anjel said

Anjel

Hi
    Im taking a backpack. Ive had it for about 5 years and its still in good condition despite the fact that by the end of any trip its usually overpacked!
    Our tour is fully booked and I think thats about 48 people. Half that many have already posted here. A lot seem to be going solo, too, which is great.

• 29 Jun 2008 sarah said

Default_avatar

hi
    im taking a backpack too. its 75L so its like as big as me! i dont know how im going to be able to carry it around or even get it onto my back!! Frowner<!--graemlin::(--> so who’s going to be staying at the Generator hostel before the tour? i’ll staying the night of the 17th and 18th of august.

• 29 Jun 2008 Mick said

Default_avatar

Hi Sarah,
    I’ll be staying at the Royal National 3 nights before the tour starts and then after, i’ll stay there the night the tour ends. Then i’m off to The Generator Hostel for 3 nights before i head back home.

• 29 Jun 2008 Mick said

Default_avatar

I think i might end up getting a backpack myself. Might be a bit more practical for camping. I sent an email to contiki asking them what they recommend on the sort of bag and this is their reply:
    Good Morning Michael,Thanks for the email! Clients travelling on a camping tour would be well advised not to travel with a suitcase as they are required to store their luggage in their own tent and a backpack is much more practical. On Camping Tours the maximum dimensions are 70cm x 45cm x 23cm (28” x 18” x 9 “) & cannot weigh more than 20kg.Any further enquiries please do not hesitate to contact us.

• 29 Jun 2008 Bess said

Bess

Oh no i hope mine is not too big or too heavy. Serena and I will be staying at the generator hostel on the 17th and 18th August as well Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 30 Jun 2008 Mick said

Default_avatar

20kg has always been there weight limit but that is only at the beginning of the tour in London. Your bag will be weighed before it is put onto the bus. To get it under the limit, simply take out a few items and carry them onto the bus in your day bag for the first day. After we’re underway, you can add as much stuff as you like to your bag. As for the size, the contiki brochure say the limits are 73cm x 50cm x 25cm. If it’s close, i don’t think they’ll make a fuss about it. Just remember that they don’t like huge bags cuz they’ve got to fit the luggage for everyone onboard the bus.

• 30 Jun 2008 Anjel said

Anjel

Trust me guys, you dont want to take a bag that weighs 20kg at the outset.
    Camping, I dont suppose there will be many stairs to go up and down like on the other types of tours but its still a lot of weight. Plus you will need to carry around all the souvenirs you buy too.
    Best to take as little as possible to start with, especially if you are travelling more after the tour. My last lot of travels my bag started at 16kg but was 24kg 6 weeks later when I was flying home.

• 30 Jun 2008 Mick said

Default_avatar

Very true AJ.
    The trick is to get all the things you think you will want to pack and take with you, and then pack only half of that. Clothes washing facilities will be available at just about every stop so you will not have to pack for the entire tour. I only plan on packing for one week or maybe two, depending on the weight of my bag. As for the souvenirs, there is a souvenir locker on the bus and sometimes if you’ve got some big items, you can put them in there.

• 8 Jul 2008 Anjel said

Anjel

Yay!! Received my itinerary today!! Makes it seem that much closer… only 6 weeks to go!
    Now I have a chance to look at the optionals more closely. Is everyone doing the Paris dinner and show? Our first outing together as a group.

• 8 Jul 2008 Serena! said

Serena!

hi, i have not yet recieved my itinerary yet
    i am not sure what optionals I was going to do, I was still in the middle of deciding about the dinner in Paris, It is quite pricey Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.