Community_discussions_small  

Comment

46 Camping tour Aug. 19, 2008 Oct. 03, 2008

13 Nov 2007 Dasbot said

Default_avatar
Hey all
Me and a mate are going on this tour, i hoping too find other ppl who are going on this tour.
  • 8 Jul 2008 Mick said

Default_avatar

Hi AJ & Serena.
    My travel agent called me yesterday to let me know that all my travel docs have arrived. I’ll go and get them all next week when my Egyptian visa arrives.
    29 days till my flight. MAN!! I can’t wait!! Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->
    I’m planning on doing all of the optionals. They were all fun and everyone had good times on my last trip. I would recommend to do as many as you can.

• 14 Jul 2008 Bess said

Bess

Yay i got all my things today it is so exciting only 5 weeks till we leave i cant wait.

• 16 Jul 2008 Serena! said

Serena!

hi guys.
    yes cant wait.
    we have changed our stays before and after the tour. (have not heard good news about the hostel) so the night before the tour we are staying at the royal national.
    Also i was looking in the paper over here and thought you guys might like some travel deals.
    there are flights in Sept/Oct with ryanair to Ireland and a flight to Glasgow (from London, Stansted) for 1 pound. this includes taxes and fees although there are a few cathes you can take hand luggage on for free but if you have other luggage you have to pay fees. just b aware if you have a look

if you want to have a look:

http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/?fares=more

Just thought you guys might like some cheap deals incase you were heading that way afetr the tour
    see you all soon

• 16 Jul 2008 Serena! said

Serena!

the offer expires 18.7.08 english time.
    ausralia is 9 hours ahead of us!!!

• 16 Jul 2008 Mick said

Default_avatar

Serena, what have you heard about the hostel that is so bad?

• 16 Jul 2008 Justo said

Default_avatar

HEY EVERYONE!!! Justo here, haven’t been on in ages..
    How exciting 4 weeks till the tour!! Big Grin<!--graemlin::D--> I flight out of brisy on the 16th August and staying at the national the nights before hand and would love to meet everyone and chat, drink, whatever…
    Oh and I’m from Fraser Island in Queensland, it’s 3hrs north of Brisy.
    After the tour i’m staying at the national and then i’m finding work and travelling where ever it leads me… scotland and visiting family in Devon uk. I CAN"T WAIT!!!!!

• 16 Jul 2008 sarah said

Default_avatar

hey everyone! not long now! i’ll still be staying at the generator on the 17th and 18th of august as its cheap and a great way to meet people. my friends stayed at a few different hostels while she was in london and she said she found the generator to the best one. its also pretty close to the royal hotel as well. so will anybody else b staying at the generator before the tour?

justo, who will u be flying with and what time? im flying with malaysian airways leaving at 2320 (11.20pm) on the 16th august out of brissie

• 16 Jul 2008 Justo said

Default_avatar

Hey Sarah,

Na i fly with Royal Brunie Airlines an depart at 1125 in the morning from brisy. Is anyone else flying out with these guys?? I here there excellent… but it’s just my first time flying on a international flight and i’m flying solo. but all EXCITED!!Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->

• 16 Jul 2008 Mick said

Default_avatar

Hi Sarah and Justo.
    Sarah, i’ll be staying at the Royal National 3 nights before the tour and one night after the tour. I’ll then move to the Generator Hostel and stay there for 3 nights before my flight back home. I’m still going to stay there even after all the mixed reviews i’ve just read. A bit about noisy and not very clean. Well we’ve just been doing a long CONTIKI tour so i think i’ll be use to noisy and as for clean, we would have just been roughing it, camping for 46 days.
    Guys, I’ll be flying out of Brissie on 7 August with Singapore Airlines. Going to Egypt before London so i’ll see yas there. And yeah, would love to meet in person and have a few while getting to know each other. Looking forward to it.

• 16 Jul 2008 Mick said

Default_avatar

but i must admit, i’m really starting to think about weather or not i want to stay at the Generator Hostel after the reviews i’ve read.
    A lot of talk about being not clean, not very good shower facilities and very noisy till late. Anyone not staying there after the tour and if you aren’t, where will you be staying?

• 17 Jul 2008 ashschu said

Default_avatar

Hey all – Just checking in to say I am booked in on this tour as well. I haven’t had a chance to hunt through the thread as I am on holiday in Scotland right now…but I will when I get back to the UK in a few days.

I’m going solo as well, from Canada but just moved to the UK for a while. Will be 23 at the start of the tour but I’m having a birthday right in the middle of the tour – looking forward to that!!! ha ha

Anyways – looking forward to meeting everyone. What hostel are most people staying in the night before? It would be good fun if we could try and get together before setting off!

Ashley

• 17 Jul 2008 Mick said

Default_avatar

Hey Ashley.
    I think most people will be staying at the Royal National the night before the tour starts.
    As for getting together before we set off, we all have to attend the pre tour meeting which will be held the night before we leave at the Royal National. We could get together somewhere after that or we could meet up the night before even. If just about everyone is staying at the Royal National, we could meet at The London Pub which is located at the Royal National.

• 17 Jul 2008 Mick said

Default_avatar

Hey everyone. I got all my travel docs today. Makes it all seem much closer. The nice lookin travel agent and i talked about the trip for half an hour.
    And as for accomodation afta the tour, i won’t be staying at the Generator Hostel at all. Both the travel agent and i totally forgot that we booked for me in to stay at the Royal National for 4 nights afta the tour. So that problem is all fixed now.

• 18 Jul 2008 Serena! said

Serena!

hi,
    Bess and I are staying at a travel lodge near st pancrs train station.
    Only staying in London for one night after the tour and then seeing some friends after that…
    See you all soon.

• 18 Jul 2008 Anjel said

Anjel

Hi all

Sounds like everyone is getting excited. Not long to go now. Im flying out of Perth on the 13th with Royal Brunei – they are definitely the best airline Ive ever flown with, and the cheapest too.
    The generator hostel in Berlin is grat, but Ive never stayed in the London one. Ill be at the Royal National 2 nights before and 2 nights after the tour.
    For those just checking in, Im doing a free walking tour on the 18th. Meets at tower hill tube station at 10am so if anyone is interested in joining me, we could meet at the contiki basement at 9am? Gives us time to say ‘hi’ then get to the meeting point.

Anyway, will see you all at the meeting on the 18th or on the coach on the 19th!!

AJ

• 19 Jul 2008 Mick said

Default_avatar

Hi AJ
    Yes, there are alot of excited people on here isn’t there. I know there are, i’m one of them.
    You can definately count me in on the walking tour.

• 19 Jul 2008 ashschu said

Default_avatar

Getting close now. I just dug through all ten pages of the thread now that I’m back from Scotland and makes it seem so much more real! ha ha

Just did a six day tour in Scotland much like this Contiki where we cooked and cleaned together etc and it is amazing how quickly you get to know people when you’re stuck in like that. 5 nights of drinks and 4 hours sleep certainly took their toll though, I don’t know how I’m going to last through 46!!

As for the hotel to be staying at the night before – the Royal National seems pretty damn expensive!! Am I looking at the right site? 70 pds a night for a single – wow!!! Anyone up for sharing to cut costs?

• 19 Jul 2008 ashschu said

Default_avatar

forgot to say I’m on facebook (as I’m sure is everyone else). Hunt me down with the email ity_bity@hotmail.com if you want.

• 20 Jul 2008 Anjel said

Anjel

Hiya. If you book a room at the royal national through contiki, they can arrange a twim or triple share room for you with other people on contiki tours. They wont always be people on your tour but they will be contiki customers. Thats what Ive organised. I think its about 30 pounds (AU$75) per night for a triple room.

• 20 Jul 2008 Mick said

Default_avatar

Yes AJ, that’s what i’ve done too. Booked all my accomodation through Contiki. Have arranged for twin share room for the duration of my stay. 3 nights before and 4 nights after our tour. Came in as $100 Australian dollars a night which i don’t think it too bad.

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.