Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Bringing Booze home

9 Jan 2008 sehohner said

sehohner
Im an 18 year old female from Canada, and im going on the European Whirl trip in may, 08. Ill be 18 when i leave, and in Europe i will be of age to drink in mostly every country. But, when i come home in june, i will still be 18, and thats still underage in Canada. Im believing this to mean that i wont be able to take alcohol home, since i wont be of age when i arrive back in Canada and go through Customs?
Any advice would be great!
  • 9 Jan 2008 Curtis71 said

Default_avatar

If 18 is underage in your province then you cannot bring liquor home.

The minimum age to bring back liquor is 18 years for Alberta, Manitoba and Quebec; and 19 years for Yukon, the Northwest Territories, Nunavut, British Columbia, Saskatchewan, Ontario, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland and Labrador.

(source)

• 11 Jan 2008 cdm115 said

cdm115

Anyone know if you would be able to ship it home to adults?

• 22 Jan 2008 *Steph said

Default_avatar

If you are flying direct to a province that is the 18 limit (like Alberta) then you don’t have to worry but if Ontario it will get taken away from you for sure. That happened to my friend they flew to Toronto first and then transferred to Edmonton and they took it away even though she was legal in her home province.

• 9 Feb 2008 Becky said

Becky

Just wrap it up in clothing in your suitcase.(So it won’t break) Plastic baggie it first if you can. They don’t check I.D.S at baggage claim.
    I’ve done it in the U.S. before. No issues at all. And if it does get taken it is probably because the baggage handlers wanted a little ‘pick me up.’!!!

• 12 Feb 2008 Bly said

Default_avatar

Also, you can only bring 1.5 litres back into Canada, or else it could be confiscated or they charge you duty (which is usually about 3 times as much as the original cost of the booze!) If you don’t declare anything and they do a random search at customs they technically can confiscate anything even if you’re not over the limit.

And random searches do occur. One time I flew back and was just a little over the limit (a 26 of vodka and a bottle of wine) and the customs guy didn’t care and let me through (although he did confiscate my sausage!!!). But another time I kinda accidentally forgot to declare a bunch of tobacco… and ended up with everything confiscated and a red flag next to my name! Now I’m completely honest all the time!!!

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.