Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Road to Athens

11 Jun 2010 Explorer1170592 said

Default_avatar
My fiance and I are doing the Road to Athens tour as our honeymoon. I have been on one Contiki trip before (Mediterranean Highlights) so I know it will be fast paced and adventurous. He has never been to Europe so we are really excited to get to experience this together. We'd like to hear what others think about this tour. All the optionals seem awesome. Are there some that are "must do's" or others that you can do without?
  • 28 Feb 2011 Explorer1230506 said

Default_avatar

I was reading this and thought it was me lol, me and my husband are also doing this trip for our honeymoon and he has never been to europe, the only different part is i have never done a contiki trip before. were going on august 7th….are you going in june?

• 1 Mar 2011 Explorer1170592 said

Default_avatar

We did this tour July 2010. We LOVED every minute of it and highly recommend every single one of the optional excursions. We figured that we may only get the chance once so we might as well do everything we could possibly fit into our schedule. We did not know that there was a second part to the trip – the additional Greek Island Hopping…about half of our group went on to do that after Athens and we were a little disappointed that we didn’t know that was an option. We would have loved to see the islands and would definitely recommend it after looking at everyone’s pictures!

• 8 Mar 2011 Explorer1230506 said

Default_avatar

yeah we want to try and do as many optionals as posb, but i noticed that some places have two and three optionals. do they make it so you can do all of them if you want?

• 8 Mar 2011 Explorer1170592 said

Default_avatar

Yes…we had the same concern when we went also – especially with the optionals in Austria because they all sounded awesome. The bike ride is in the morning followed by bar-b-que lunch. After lunch, a van picked us up to go paragliding (which we ended up not getting to do because it was too windy once we got to the top of the mountain.) They Swarovski Crystal museum is a stop on the way to Austria and white water rafting is a stop while leaving Austria. Those two I would recommend if for no other reason than if you don’t do them, the only thing to do is wait on everyone else who is doing it. In Corfu the cruise on George’s boat is a must! It is a full day experience that is so much fun. That is the only place where the optionals conflict. You can either rent a car and go off on your own or go on George’s Boat. You’ll have some time to explore Corfu on your own so I would recommend going on George’s Boat. He is hilarious and the water is perfect! Just remember to bring enough cash to do as many water sports as you would like while you are on the boat (ask your tour guide before you go how much each thing will cost so you can be prepared…once you are on the boat there is no going back for extra money. I would also recommend all the optional dinners. Each one was a fun experience with great food (especially the dinner in Venice!)

• 18 Mar 2011 Explorer1230506 said

Default_avatar

wow that is some great advice, thanks! ill deff look into all of it a bit more :)

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion