Community_discussions_small  

Comment

What essential Everyday Items are needed on Grand Explorer 22.8.08

13 Jul 2008 sophc said

sophc
Hi there,
Me and a friend are going on the Grand Explorer Reverse start leaving Christchurch on the 22 August 2008. This is the first time either of us has travelled anywhere other than down the street and around the corner! We are so Excited! Big Grin
We live in Queensland Australia and are curious as to what we should be packing for that time of the year. We know it will be Winter, but how much Winter gear is needed? I think its the Wet Weather that is the most convern. Also what should we take for every day stuff? Backpack V's Handbag?

Any input and advice is a help at this point! Smiler
Thanx, Maybe We'll c-ya there! Wink
  • 16 Jul 2008 Sarah M said

Default_avatar

Hi

In terms of clothes wear layers which you can take off if you get warm – coming from Queensland I suspect you will find it quite cold here at that time of year. Bring a rain coat/ warm coat. By the end of August it will be coming into spring so whilst it will be warming up a little, it does rain at that time of year.

I would bring a hand bag. While we don’t have a pick pocket problem here, wearing a backpack would make you look like an obvious overseas traveller – its better to look like one of the locals.

Enjoy your trip!

• 15 Aug 2008 whittlkd said

whittlkd

Bring thermals! just got back, the south island was freezing for a Melbournian, so I’m guessing you’ll feel it too, mornings on the bus are very cold. Up north it’s a bit warmer but we still had our frosty days there.

Of course while it was a bit chilly at times this made for unreal scenery…snow capped mountains and all, you’ll love it.

• 15 Aug 2008 sophc said

sophc

yeah i’ve got packed quite a few layers and two big thick puffy jackets and a few hoodies. and 3 pairs of jeans. someone told me that was too much but i would rather be too hot that too cold.
    i cant wait to get there and see it all for myself!! cameras are charged and ready to go, only 2 more sleeps!

• 17 Sep 2008 Explorer1112821 said

Default_avatar

what about for mid februrary to march? is it going to be hot?? were going on the grand explorer leavinf feb 18th! any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks!Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 17 Sep 2008 Pervy said

Pervy

Yeah that’s about the hottest time of the year in New Zealand.

• 18 Oct 2008 sophc said

sophc

well i finished my tour and it was the best time ive ever had! the country is so beautiful! i just couldn’t take my eys off the scenery, i don’t know how people could sleep on the couch! as for the clothes situation i’m definatley glad i packed theremals and layers, however as my suitcase was soo much smaller than everybody elses (bit of a tip: nobody measured or weighed bags) when we got to wellington i posted the biggest box i could full of stuff back home. only because i found myself to wear the same stuff over and over again. and all the shopping didn’t help matters.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion