Comment

Eastern Road 13May

21 Jan 2007 B77 said

Default_avatar
HI There
Is anyone doing the Eastern Road 13May?
  • 13 Feb 2007 kittsi said

Default_avatar

We not sure on the dinner options.We would like to go on the salt mine tour. That one looks great to me. We might try one dinner option just to see what it is like .

• 13 Feb 2007 B77 said

Default_avatar

I’ve heard the Budapest river cruise is worth doing. I’m thinking I’ll do the Salt Mines and the Berlin Historical walk for sure.

• 14 Feb 2007 kittsi said

Default_avatar

I also heard that the Budapest cruise was the best of all the dinner tours. Im thinking the Berlin Historical walk too .I would love to see WW2 stuff and see some Berlin history.

• 14 Feb 2007 jules melrose said

Default_avatar

I’m with you guys. I’ll probably do the Budapest cruise, the walking tour,and the salt mine. I wasn’t at all impressed with the dinners on my last contiki tour, and I remember feeling like I wish I had used the time and money to go out and experience a meal in the city and soak up the culture there.

Happy Valentine’s Day you guys!

• 14 Feb 2007 kittsi said

Default_avatar

Hey Nicolas , We are flying in on AA # S594 from London due in @ 11:40.That sounds good to us. We will wait for you after customs.Then we can all go from there.When the trip gets closer we should get the details for the airport worked out . We are not going to the musical dinners either… Just not my think.

Anyone one else flying in to Tegel ?

• 15 Feb 2007 jules melrose said

Default_avatar

I’m going to book my flight soon, and I’ll try to fly into Tegel that morning too if I can.

Default_avatar

Hey Nic,

My last contiki tour was the Euro Encounter in the fall of 2005. I had a really great time, and still keep in touch with some of my aussie friends. I found that I was drawn to some people more than others, and of course there were a few cliques in the group. I even explored some of the cities on my own for a few hours to make sure I saw everything I wanted to see.After going on an ‘older people’ tour like cosmos I felt like contiki kind of gave us the shaft as far as food and accomodations are concerned. They tend to treat the older crowd better I think. I could go on and on, but I won’t bore you. I sent ont he cosmos tour last fall to England, Wales, and Ireland. I’ve been to Europe twice with friends, once backpacking/hosteling through Scotland (had to hitchhike to our haunted castle hostel on that trip), and once for a week city hopping in Italy(hung out with the locals and got tours of the cities from them). I love it! I’d really like to see Spain one day, and I was really debating between this tour and the Greece/Turkey tour. If only I were rich and had more time off work………….

• 15 Feb 2007 B77 said

Default_avatar

I haven’t booked my flights either but I’ll try to fly in around the same time aswell. I’m trying to find a cheap airfare from Paris to Berlin. Experienced Contiki travellers – do you get roomed with the same person for the whole tour?

Default_avatar

Yes, you have the same roommate for the entire tour. I guess that could be good or bad depending how you get along.

• 15 Feb 2007 B77 said

Default_avatar

Thanks Jules. I’m sure not much time is spent in your room. Any tips you have for us other than no travellers chq’s and comfy shoes?

Default_avatar

Well I think it’s a good idea to bring a small water bottle filled with fabreeze because your clothes can start smelling really funky in your suitcase if you’ve been anywhere smoky. Fabreeze is a lifesaver. Also, if you like to shop, pack really light and plan on buying souvenir t-shirts to wear. Bring a travel umbrella and a jacket no matter what the weather is supposed to be like. Sometimes they have freaky weather and storms. I went to Italy in May and almost froze to death because I had only packed for spring weather. Its a good idea to bring a backpack for daily outings, and moneybelts are always a good idea for money, credit cards and your passport. Some hotels don’t have wash cloths so if you need one bring your own. Also, it’s a good idea to bring a small bottle of liquid detergent to hand wash clothes with if you need to clean them in the sink. There isn’t much time for doing laundry, and it’s easy to clean something in your sink and leave it to dry overnight, bring a plastic bag for that just in case. Make sure to alert your credit card company that you will be on vacation and using your card in other countries, or else they may cut you off fearing fraud. Make sure to bring copies of your dl’s and passport to stay in your suitcase just in case. Oh, and it’s always a good idea to bring your a little bag with all sorts of medications just in case you get sick with anything while we are on the bus. You might bring an inflatable travel pillow for sleeping on the bus, or you could just use your jacket. This is probably way more than what you wanted, but if you have anymore ?’s let me know.

• 15 Feb 2007 B77 said

Default_avatar

Haha thanks, I’m looking forward to the souvenir t shirts!! I have to admit I’m a bit of a shopper so packing light is a must for me.

• 15 Feb 2007 kittsi said

Default_avatar

Thanks Jules for the good tips.

• 16 Feb 2007 jules melrose said

Default_avatar

The European locals I’ve met have all been pretty great. The Irish, Scottish, and Italians were the most friendly to me. The waiters in France were horrible, and there were a few people here and there that were rude or unfriendly. I guess it just depends on your personality and the people you meet. I’m pretty friendly, so I say throw a smile on your face and treat them like family and you’ll get along just fine. Do watch for crazy pick pocketers though. The more you look like a tourist the more you will be watched and targeted.

• 17 Feb 2007 B77 said

Default_avatar

I’ve had good experiences with locals, although its been many many years since I was last in Europe. I’d say its like everywhere in the world – you have your good and your bad.
    This might sound stupid but I’ve never worried about pick pocketers when I’ve travelled but on this site its mentioned alot – is it really that bad? is money belts the best way to avoid it?

• 19 Feb 2007 jules melrose said

Default_avatar

Hey guys,

I finally booked my flight. I’m flying into Tegel at 10:50 on Lufthansa flight 3801, so I can meet up with you guys. As for the pick pocketers, I read on someone’s travelogue that several people in their group were robbed. One guy had his wallet stollen, so he planted a wallet in his pocket on the train just to see if someone would take it, and someone did steal it and he never knew who did it. The thieves are really good, and sometimes they use women and children to do it for them, or as distractions. I always carry a money belt, or put my money in my pockets.

• 19 Feb 2007 kittsi said

Default_avatar

Hey Jules sounds good for the flight , We all can go as a group to the hotel Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->. After seeing all this im going to look into getting a money belt.

• 24 Feb 2007 jules melrose said

Default_avatar

Welcome aboard! Hopefully you can meet up with us at the airport too!

• 24 Feb 2007 kittsi said

Default_avatar

Hello Angel ,Welcome to the group . Is this your frist Contiki trip ?

• 24 Feb 2007 kittsi said

Default_avatar

Angel thats sounds good . I think that Jules, Nicolas, My husband and me are going to meet at the airport. Maybe even B77. It will be a great time on the tour ,we are looking forward to it.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion