Community_discussions_small  

Question

Just a party tour??

3 Jun 2008 C_Jade asked

Default_avatar
I'm just trying to fins out how many people go on Contiki just to party, and how many to actually see Europe?

I am planning on going in 2009, but am too scared to go to Europe unguided, so Contiki is a good place to start?

Will I be the only one not hung over the next morning? Not that I don't want to have a good time.

Thanks.
  • 3 Jun 2008 Luke83 said

Default_avatar

there is always people on tour to party, there are people that are their for just the sights and the rest are both. On our tour we had about 10 people who were their for just the sights and the rest would spend the day looking at sights then would head out at night.

• 3 Jun 2008 Bekahangel said

Default_avatar

I’m going to Europe in December and I don’t drink. I’ll still probably go out occasionally at night especially if I make some friends and they’re going out but I’m mainly there to see the sight and experience Europe. I think it will just depend on your tour group how many are there just to party.

• 3 Jun 2008 shazza89 said

shazza89

i wandered this aswell.
    Me and my friend still want to go out at night but are on a budget so wont be spending alot of money of alcohol. and we’re mainly there for the sights and dont want to waste a whole day being hungover and not enjoying anything. I mean why would we spend all this money when we get drunk and stay up late all the time at home!!

• 3 Jun 2008 Troy19792008 said

Troy19792008

There’s a tour exactly for you non-partiers, Insight, for over 40’s.

I’m sure they’ll tuck you in at 7.30 at night, that way you’ll be nice and fresh for your day trips.

• 3 Jun 2008 JocelynEuroExperienceSept1 said

JocelynEuroExperienceSept1

Now now Troy.. everyone to thier own. I have to agree with Shazza.. why would you waste all that money to get wasted .. when you can just do that at home? I’d rather spend my hard earned dollars on seeing some sights and buying souveniers. You cant have a crack at people just cos thier idea of a holiday is different to your own.

• 3 Jun 2008 MeganSD said

MeganSD
    quote:
    Originally posted by Troy19792008:

I’m sure they’ll tuck you in at 7.30 at night, that way you’ll be nice and fresh for your day trips.

Well thats a little harsh, I’m going on the tour to experience all of it. So yeah, I’ll be drinking but not enough to be so gone the next day I don’t know what city I’m in. If it was just for parties though why would they bother even taking you around europe? I don’t care what anyone else wants to do on the tour as long as theyre nice people and respect others decisions without judgement.

• 3 Jun 2008 shazza89 said

shazza89

Thanks guys…im not saying im not going out to party just not get so trashed that u cant even remember what u did the whole time!

• 3 Jun 2008 Troy19792008 said

Troy19792008

My comments were only meant as tounge and cheek.

Each to there own. I’m just going to have the time of my life, and I won’t be holding back in any way. If that means a few big nights drinking, so be it.

• 3 Jun 2008 peteywoods said

peteywoods

all i know is that i whinge about the cost of drinks in oz so the thought to europe prices (shiver)!

I’m with the others, I didn’t spend thousands on a tour just to spend thousands more on grog and see europe’s sights solely through hungover bleary eyes…a few wines, beers here and there are fine. But I can get REALLY trashed at home if I want…
    souveneirs versus alcohol? souveneirs/tours everytime! At the end of the day you are on YOUR holiday and everyone else is on THEIR holiday…

• 3 Jun 2008 Explorer1096830 said

Default_avatar

75% party… 25% sight seeing Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 3 Jun 2008 Amanda said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by Troy19792008:

This is the type of tourmate that worries me! I like to drink too. But, I didn’t spend thousands of dollars to deal with your obnoxious drunk state or your hungover sickness.

• 3 Jun 2008 JeffersonNYSE said

JeffersonNYSE

Don’t get me wrong, I can, and do party with the best of them….but I fail to see the point in dropping thousands of dollars to tour Europe, just to spend a good portion of the tour with your head in the toilet. Who really wants to be puking in the canals of Venice during a gondola ride? Lol, I swear if that happens on my gondola ride I’m gonna throw that person over board. I plan on having a great time in Europe and doing my fair share of partying, but a certain amount of self control in necessary to ensure both you and your tourmates get the most out of the experience. No one wants to deal with excessively obnoxious drunk or filling the bus with the lovely aroma of vomit.

Amanda, just keep your fingers crossed you don’t get the “Troy” of your group as a roomate lol.

• 3 Jun 2008 Jeremy said

Jeremy

I just got back and think I got really lucky on my tour in that everyone was there to see Europe first, party second. I can see where a lot of people would go just to party and be that annoying type of drunk that bothers people to try and do it too. You have early wake up calls almost every day (I was up before 7am practically every day) and fighting off a hangover would not be fun. I am not a huge drinker but I did find myself drinking pretty much every night (drinking, not drunk). You can find cheap bottles of wine for under 4 euro in almost every country and a few of the bars at the hostels we stayed at were cheaper than back home (granted most were ridiculously over priced, especially the contiki owned ones). It is all what you make of it though, if you have someone who is only there to party, you can ignore them — and there will definitely be others on your tour who could careless about drinking crazy every night too.

• 3 Jun 2008 work2travel said

work2travel
    quote:
    Originally posted by benji:
    I hope there’s room on the bus for my walker Razzer<!--graemlin::p-->

LOL!! Me too Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->

I am soooooooo glad to see that there are so many people posting who share the same views. I am looking forward to enjoying some bevvies and just having a nice relaxing time in some amazing surroundings that I want to remember.

JeffersonNYSE- too funny. Yes, there will always be the “Troy’s” of the Contiki world and tours in general, but it’s all part of the experience. Go enjoy yourself, on your terms!
    Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 3 Jun 2008 Nickerz said

Nickerz

hey guys! i agree with majority, i went on tour last year & it was a mix – nearly all of us would go out together at night & see sights, have dinner & party but all would drink to their own choice! im not a huge drinker so didnt hardly at all but thought i’d splurge & have one night drinking at Space nightclub in Florence. Had a blast but regretted it the next day missing most of Lucerne due to hangover! So you can still party & have fun without drinking or drinking too much. We had 2 girls who rode themselves off completely & we had to leave them behind the next day cos they wouldnt get out of bed! Enjoy the trip!

• 3 Jun 2008 Stanga said

Default_avatar

I know a few Troys myself and they’re a lot of fun while their on the drink… not so much the next day though.
    I’ve already resigned myself to going dry throughout the trip. I made the mistake in the US of drinking my way through Vegas and I ended up missing out on a lot and what I did do I can’t really remember that well!
    Like most other people on this thread, I didn’t save my pennies for the last year and a half to blow it all on big nights out that I can have in London or here in Oz and wake with my usual screaming hangover. I want to see a part of the world with 2020 vision and remember everything. But for those who are going to get plastered every or most nights, good luck to them. They CAN be the best and most fun people on a trip – even if you don’t partake.

• 3 Jun 2008 amer said

amer

Here’s my FirstHand perspective on contiki tours. I have been two superior tours, going on third shortly.

Both tours had a mix of party-goers and non. In the daytime, contiki does a good job on taking you the major sights of importance in the city you’re in. There is ample free time to roam around and soak in the culture. I really enjoyed the knowledgeable tour guides and their insights. By the time you come back to the hotels, some are totally winded and don’t wanna go out. Others like myself seek out the best clubs and wanna check out the nightlife.

The amount of money and level of partying you do is completely depends on you. There is always a party group in the tour who go out party while others dont.
    Either way, you’ll make friends, enjoy the sights, soak in the culture, and have a memorable trip..

• 3 Jun 2008 C_Jade said

Default_avatar

Wow Troy was slightly harsh….makes me feel stupid for asking the question.

But thanks everyone. I agree with the people that said why spend all that money and being to hungover to see anything.

I’ll be glad to tell the guys at work, that contiki isn’t just a party tour and i will actually be seeing the sights.

• 5 Jun 2008 chickaboo said

Default_avatar

I’m with most of you on this one. Nice to see others think the same!

I plan on making the best of my trip and to me, that’s striking a nice balance between experiencing Europe’s nightlife AND its cultural sites. It would be a total trip bummer to spend a beautiful day in Paris with that glorious pounding sensation in my head!
    Sure, I’ll enjoy some drinks, go to the bars and socialize like crazy, but I don’t need to be trashed for that.

• 5 Jun 2008 Vic said

Default_avatar

I went on a Contiki concept tour in 2006 and had a great time and not every night was a party night. Yes there were the big parties and late nights but on my tour they tended to be when you had an eight hour bus ride ahead of you the next day so you could catch up on sleep on the bus. Going on the next one by myself so might not drink so much this time but your right you do drink most night but you don’t write yourselves off every night.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion