Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Another Cell (mobile) phone question

16 Sep 2010 Sandra2580 said

Sandra2580
I live in the US, found out I my cell phone won't work in England or France and wouldn't be able to call family in the US and Italy. Would it be a good idea to buy a pre-paid phone in England? Would it work even in France? I wouldn't want to buy 2 phones. I have no clue. Please help!
  • 16 Sep 2010 Karina88 said

Karina88

I was wondering that myself…If i got a phone in the uk would it work around europe?! It would be so much cheaper for me to just get a phone over there than take mine from australia…

• 17 Sep 2010 AstroPhys said

Default_avatar

Yes, just buy a phone card. Do not use it in your hotel room though, use it at a pay phone. You could also use skype if you bring a laptop, which ends up being about 2 cents a minute if you call to a phone or free to another computer.

We had someone on our tour that each day would call at least 4-5 friends and then their parents, spending at least 60 minutes on the phone. I would not buy a phone unless you think you will absolutely need it.

• 17 Sep 2010 Jen_au said

Jen_au

I’m 99% sure that if you buy a phone in england it should work in France too…I think it’s just north america that is on a different service or something so they wont work. Check out the eKit thing I think you can get a pretty cheap phone there???

• 17 Sep 2010 Karina88 said

Karina88

yeah i think buying a cheap phone is okay if you just want to txt family while you’re away to let them know how you are going etc….i wouldnt ring off it though, cost too damn much lol

• 20 Sep 2010 Explorer1147179 said

Default_avatar

Buy an unlocked phone in the UK, use it all around Europe. It will work all around Europe.

Carriers in Europe have very cheap rates and they apply throughout Europe. Vodafone one example…rates are the same throughout Europe in summer. Very cheap as well when not summer. Do it.

Even if you have a phone from Australia take it with you, as long as it is unlocked. Buy a pre-paid sim pack in the UK. Seriously…it is the best option. An example in point…it is cheaper to use my Vodafone Greece sim card to call people overseas from Australia than to use my Australian sim card. I wouldn’t say call your friends and family for 60 minutes on your phone, but I don’t know if you even do that in your home country, with people on different carriers..ie it would cost me an entire month’s bill to, in Australia, call someone from my 3 to someone’s else’s optus for example.

• 27 Jan 2011 Jbird910 said

Default_avatar

there are websites that sell phones that will work all in Europe. just google cell phone for europe or travel and it’ll bring up some websites. I checked into them when i went to Italy but it didn’t arrive in time. Also some US phones will work over there just have to check on your providers website or talk to someone there and see if your phone is capable, but since you said yours wasn’t capable then you already know…

• 12 Feb 2011 lady_o said

lady_o

texted and sent photos from my cell a few years ago and BOY did I regret it when i got home and received that bill!! used the phone card that contiki furnished and loaded money onto it and it worked great, some people had a hard time accessing theirs though. I have been wondering about taking my IPhone on my upcoming trip, anybody have expereince using data (applications and whatnot) in west. europe? trying to decide if I just want to tag on an international plan.

• 12 Feb 2011 Jen_au said

Jen_au

I brought my unlocked iPhone with me with a sim that didn’t have data attached because I was worried the cost would be massive, and it wasn’t too bad. most of the hotels we stayed in had wifi so could get onto facebook every now and again!! Just to let you know, not all countries have free wifi in their macca’s kfcs etc!!! :D

• 13 Feb 2011 Noitanigami said

Noitanigami

i,ve been searching the same thing, found this site recently…

http://www.roam4less.com/starter-package.html

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion