Community_discussions_small  

Question

Has Anyone Done a Camping Tour or Doing One in '14

20 Feb 2014 MrRiceGuyRJ asked

MrRiceGuyRJ

Some friends and I signed up for a European Camping Tour (The Escape) this September. Some of them aren't the biggest campers but trying something new and exciting. Has anyone done a camping tour or is going to do one this year?

If you've done one, got any friendly advice? Whats the demographic?

We like the destinations and time spent at each destination most for this tour so we're super excited for it. We'll book a hostel or hotel if the tents aspect is too much. Wish us luck :-D

• 7 Mar 2014 Caity said

Caity

I’m signed up for The Expedition starting on July 1st! I haven’t found much on their camping, but you might find some good advice on the Contiki Europe 2014 page on Facebook. I could always let you know how it goes when I finish my tour :)

• 7 Mar 2014 MrRiceGuyRJ said

MrRiceGuyRJ

Thanks so much for the suggestion. I will try to join that group. Looks like it’s a closed group so I sent the invite. And most definitely share your experience on your trip prep and after. I’d love to hear about it!

• 17 Apr 2014 Leeno said

Leeno

Hey! I did the Big Chill last year – 46 day camping tour, and our group was so close we have multiple reunions plans, and I have made some amazing friends from it. The great thing with a camping tour is in general everyone is pretty laid back, and therefore get on pretty well. You also get closer to your group do to the way the meals work, and camp setup, and the fact that you don’t lock yourself away in a room at night. The spread was right from 18 – 34 and everyone mixed well. By night 3 we sat in a huge circle with our stools and tried to make sure we had all 48 names down pat- it was easy after that. There were a few girls on the tour who going into it were not really ‘campers’, but with a little help learning the ropes, they pitched in and had a great time. There were a few other Contiki groups that we would keep running into, and we had a rivalry going on – we looked down on them ‘coz they soo weren’t campers’, and they thought they were better than us coz they had hotel rooms. We all scrubbed up pretty well on nights out considering we were the campers :)
    The weather plays a huge part in how your tour in tents goes… cold or rainy is always going to put a downer on things, but overall I would do my tour all over again. Some campsites (not all) you can pay money usually around 10E to upgrade to a cabins.
    Let me know if you have any other questions I might be able to answer!

• 17 Apr 2014 Leeno said

Leeno

-

• 17 Apr 2014 MrRiceGuyRJ said

MrRiceGuyRJ

Did people upgrade to cabins at those campsites that offered them? That was actually partially what we were considering doing at times because there’s a couple people in our group that aren’t much of campers and they’re stressed out. The idea of a private bathroom/shower sounds appealing every now and then.

• 17 Apr 2014 Hot tub Dave said

Default_avatar

Hi there. Just saw you are going on the escape camping in sept? Same here. We are leaving on the sept 26 trip and first time campers as well. Have you found any good advice so far??

• 18 Apr 2014 Leeno said

Leeno

I checked your itinerary, we all got upgrades to cabins in Venice. As it was so early in the season there was not many people there then so they included it for free for us. By that stage we were excited to be in a room for the night, by we had been in the tent for 8 nights already. It was still shared bathrooms, but being able to stand up to get changed and sort out you suitcase was good. I don’t remember there being a chance to upgrade to a cabin in Munich or Prague. I didn’t go to Berlin, so I don’t know about that. Amsterdam might have a chance to upgrade, it just depends on how busy it is and what’s available. Even when upgrades were available, there was always part of the group that still camped. Our group would end up with shower parties- vodka was consumed on several occasions, and people would have their electronics on charge. Most people tended to shower at certain times of the day, so if you want more private time just schedule yours outside these times, maybe get up 20 minutes earlier in the morning, or wait til later in the evening once most people are done already.
    Between the Munich beer halls, and the Prague pub crawl, and Amsterdam well, you really won’t spend much time in your tent anyway. On one of our 1 night stops when there was good weather half our group decided not to put up their tents and just put the airbeds on the ground in a group. Make sure you have mozzie repellent for Venice.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion