Community_discussions_small  

Comment

WW: just a few questions..

12 Jan 2009 Laura said

Default_avatar
Hi everyone,
I've read your wonderful reviews so I'm quite sure to decide for the WW on April,but I'd like to ask you something.. Confused
1) On the Grand Canyon stay the accomodation is "cabin": waht does it mean? Do I need to bring sleeping bag, sheets,pillow and a towel with me or it's a kind of "rustic room" but with all comfort??
2) Do I need to arrange the LAX- Anaheim distance and back by myself? How did u do? Taxi or private shuttle?
3) For the grand canyon stop do I have to take trekking shoes and other "sporty" stuff like that? Will it be all day walking or not?
4) Did u use traveller's cheques or money during the trip? Which is better?
Thank you in advance for your answers!!! Wink
  • 12 Jan 2009 gig08 said

gig08

Hey there Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->
    I went on the GS last year, and we had a stop in the Grand Canyon.

The hotel rooms were not all in one building, but were set up like a motel (exterior enterances) in a few different ‘cabins’. You do not need to bring sleeping bag etc etc. It’s a hotel room. It has heat. It is just decorated outdoorsy (ie. animal photos etc).Quite nice rooms actually…

LAX to Anaheim is by yourself- I’d look into the Supershuttle (I think it’s about $20.00 or so). You don’t need to book in advance, and you can get info from the Supershuttle website or the LAX airport website. They have blue and yellow vans and will do several drops along the way…

As for what you’ll need at the Grand Canyon, it’s up to what you want to do. The Helicopter tour is the optional. If you’re going to be walking around, there are a lot of trails, so I’d suggest at least a pair of running shoes Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

I used cash/cc during the trip- There are ATMs all over the place and I found it just as easy….

Let me know if you have any other questions Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 12 Jan 2009 Explorer1104432 said

Default_avatar

I did WW in July last yr, you’ll love it.
    Just reinforcing what gig has just said; the cabins are double share and despite what they look like from the outside, there’s full amenities inside. You need comfy walking shoes that you don’t mind getting dirty and with a bit of tread on them. There’s 2 shuttle van companies that operate from LAX, after using both I recommend the blue ones as the van was more comfy and the driver we had from the red company almost killed us on the way to Anaheim (serious). You can grab a card off them to arrange when you need to be picked up when your tour ends. We used cash mainly (cc couple of times), seemed travellers checks were a bit of a nuisance to cash in. Enjoy your trip

• 13 Jan 2009 Laura said

Default_avatar

Thank u very much for your answers!!! Smiler<!--graemlin::)--> I’m just getting a little bit anxious ‘cause I haven’t booked yet..
    Just another question, sorry:How much time before will I know if the tour is canceled or confirmed?
    It’s a long way from Italy, and I have to book the flight and ask for holidays at work. I wouldn’t like to buy everything (of course cheap flight tickets, not refundable, etc.. ) and then have all vanished..
    Thank you again for your kindness!!!

• 14 Jan 2009 caja13 said

caja13

I did this tour in June 08. It was awesome I’d go again in a heartbeat.

I packed a towel and only had to use it once.

Grand Canyon was awesome. It’s up to you if you want to hike or go in the helicopter but I’d recommend doing both. I just had on regular sandshoes. Some of us hiked on the bright angel trail, into the canyon while others chose to hike along the rim of the canyon. It’s such a gorgeous place i loved it.

I would also recommend that you do as many optionals as possible. The jeep tour in sedona was fun and hot air ballooning was good too.

Enjoy your trip!!!

• 14 Jan 2009 Explorer1104432 said

Default_avatar

Funny you should mention tour cancellations cos my initial WW tour was cancelled about a week after I booked it in March I think. It still left me 4 months to rebook, plenty of time. I booked my tour first then waited for confirmation before choosing flights & accomodation

• 15 Jan 2009 cdm115 said

cdm115

When I took the Cali Highlights several years ago. I called one day to find out about a certain date and when i called a day or two later to book the tour had been cancelled. That was close to 2 months before. I had a europe tour cancelled on me, but that was a good 3 or 4 months in advance.

• 15 Jan 2009 explorer105672 said

Default_avatar

I did this tour in november last year and had a blast. You’ll love it! About the grand canyon, you dont have to worry about the cabins – theyr’e great. Pretty much like all the other hotels u stay in on the trip. Definitely bring a pair of runners because i foolishly didnt think to bring any, and ofcourse i struggled hiking in my ballet flats (which got really filthy and also were slippery walking down the trail).

For the shuttle to anaheim, you can just turn up outside the airport and the supershuttle person will hail a shuttle for u. Its really easy and u dont have to pre-book or anything.

I think most people used cash and credit cards on the trip. I didnt have a problem with it.

Hope that helps answer your questions. Let me know if u have any other questions about the trip Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 22 Jan 2009 Rob S. said

Default_avatar

I did this tour last fall, and had a blast. Enjoy!

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.