Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Scam Warning (Forum-Related)

26 Apr 2010 Curtis71 said

Default_avatar
Today I received the following SCAM e-mail at an address that I only used with this forum and for contiki-related bookings.

I don't know how they got this address or if Contiki's records were hacked or what but everyone should watch out for something like this.

quote:

This is a courtesy reminder that your Account needs to be verified.
In order to receive uninterrupted services, please click the link below and verify your information immediately:

http://www.(address removed).com/portal/?server.pt?space=Login&ui_ReasonCode=6004

Regards,
SunTrust
  • 26 Apr 2010 ptooma said

Default_avatar

hummm I got the same email too … but at my general email address.

In any case, financial institutions never initiate emails.

- Vic

• 27 Apr 2010 Kate at Contiki said

Kate at Contiki

Hi Curtis,

Thanks for reporting this. I will look into into it with the company who currently hosts our forums.

Thanks,
    Kate

• 27 Apr 2010 Kate at Contiki said

Kate at Contiki

Hi Curtis,

I have a quick update from the software engineer at the company who hosts our forums. He believes it’s highly unlikely that spammers/phishers would be able to extract your email address from our database since it’s locked down behind firewalls to prevent any external access. He has not heard of any similar reports of spam, and there have been no known compromises that could have resulted in your email being acquired by an unknown source. He also advised that spammers tend to send out spam in waves, and there was probably a recent barrage sent that just happened to affect a group of Contiki users. Rest assured that Contiki never reveals user email addresses to general users in the forums, nor do we share your info with 3rd parties. I hope this helps calm any fear that your email address has been compromised.

Let me know if you have any questions,
    Kate

• 8 May 2010 Explorer1174786 said

Default_avatar

Kate/Curtis

I had the same email….?? Sydney, Aust… – is that a coincidence?

• 20 May 2010 Kate at Contiki said

Kate at Contiki

Hi there,

I think it probably just has to do with a recent barrage of spam sent in waves.

• 20 May 2010 Explorer1181467 said

Default_avatar

FWIW, fishers don’t need to hack a database to get emails adress. They have these randomizer programs that sends thousand and thousand of emails to random adress and yours could end up in the pot.

It’s like they say, if you have 10 million monkeys with 10 million typing machines, one of them is bound to re-write hamlet!

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.