Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Travel and Packing Advice

12 Mar 2014 Just-in Time said

Just-in Time

Hi everyone! :-) I decided to start this thread as a travel and packing advice thread. Feel free to add-on any tips! Here are some items to start off with:

Travel Advice:
- Check typical weather trends of the place you are traveling to during the season you are visiting.
- Research the place you are visiting before your trip and write a list of places you would like to see or activities you would like to do during your free time.
- Learn a few common words and phrases of the country you're visiting. (Hello, Please, Where is the Bathroom/Restroom?, Thank you, Good Bye, etc.)
- Be aware of your surroundings at all times
- Grab a tourist map from the airport or hotel
- Have your hotel name, address, and phone number on you in case you get lost.

Item Checklist:
- Itinerary
- Visa (Check if the country you are visiting requires one)
- Passport (if you don't have one or need to renew, I recommend applying or renewing a few months in advance)
- Money
- Health Insurance card (if applicable)
- Travel size power converter and adapter
- Deodorant
- Toothbrush
- Toothpaste
- Contact lens case and solution (if applicable)
- Clothes

Packing Advice:
- Roll your clothes
- Put heavier items on the bottom
- Put things you access more closer to the top
- Mark your luggage if you are checking your bag in at the airport so you can easily identify your bag at baggage claim

Additional Useful Tools:
If you have a smart phone and international data plan the following apps are useful:
Google Translator
Google Maps
XE Currency Converter
Contiki Shout

• 14 Mar 2014 Dom said

Dom

I always bring zip lock bags for various items that may spill, as well as smaller trinkets etc, also a plastic shopping bag for any dirty shoes or wet swimwear etc.

Clearly label any medications (paracetamol, cough drops etc) and a packet of antibiotics brought from home is always a good idea.

I also usually carry 2x universal power adapters as I either leave one behind or find that one stops working. They’re small and inexpensive to buy at home, but can be difficult to source if you break it when overseas.

Sunblock, chapstick and body lotion – whether in summer or winter, you will want them!

The rest is all covered above – thanks Justin for the thread :)

• 16 Mar 2014 Just-in Time said

Just-in Time

Great tips Dom!

A few tips about money:
    - If you’re exchanging currency, exchange your currency once you arrive at your destination country. Usually you get a better exchange rate.
    - Don’t exchange money at the airport, its a rip off. Go to a bank.
    - If you’re using a credit card to buy things, try getting one without international transaction fees.
    - When buying things at stores, depending on the payment system the stores use(ex: Verifone), the system may ask you whether to charge in their currency or your home country currency. Charge in their currency so you don’t get charged with currency conversion fees.
    - When you carry money around, don’t keep your money all in one wallet or pocket. Split it between different pockets. That way if you get pick-pocketed you still have some emergency money.

• 29 Mar 2014 AndreaMae said

AndreaMae

Super helpful. Thank you!

• 1 Jul 2014 Lizz said

Lizz

I always pack a cheap power board as hostels sometimes have limited power points so it makes it easier to charge multiple items over night :)

• 6 Aug 2014 MissEmilia said

MissEmilia

This thread is a great idea!

I just thought of some more money related tips:
    When traveling to multiple countries with different currencies, I found it useful to keep the currencies in separate zip lock bags (or sandwich bags, whatever you want to call them!) and stow them away in your luggage, otherwise you’ll end up with random coins from many countries weighing down your wallet for no good reason! Also, it’s always a good idea to give away as many small coins as you can to street performers/homeless (or simply spend the coins on pointless souvenirs such as fridge magnets and keyrings!) on your last day in that country/dealing in that currency, otherwise you may find banks back home won’t exchange your foreign currency coins for your home money, and you’ll be stuck with tonnes of useless coins you can’t do anything with! Very annoying.
    Just my two cents. He he.

• 7 Aug 2014 Isabel said

Isabel

So if im visiting america i should wait until im there to exchange my money?

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.