Community_discussions_small  

Comment

hair straighteners/curlers

15 Feb 2007 Ang25 said

Default_avatar
would anyone else take these?? im trying to decide if these would be good to take or just a nuisance, as do any of the hotels ever have a hair dryer? that way if didnt take my hair appliances there was at least a basic way to do my hair at least for nights/dinners out.
thanks
  • 13 Mar 2007 bec21 said

Default_avatar

I’m planning on taking my ghd straightner, has anyone taken an australian ghd straightner using a power adapter and it worked ok??? I need my straightner!!!! Prob a hair dryer too!! haha

• 13 Mar 2007 Span83 said

Default_avatar

I have a Hi lift hair straitner and Price attack where I brought it couldn’t even tell me if it was a dual voltage. They think it should work overseas but couldn’t promise anything. Has anyone used this brand over in Europe??

• 13 Mar 2007 ashleightara said

ashleightara

Aussies shouldn’t need dual voltage stuff if traveling to Europe/UK just adapters.

Aus power is 240V (single phase) with 50HZ frequency.
    UK is 230 V with 50Hz as is Europe.
    US is 120 V with 60Hz.

Most countries operate on 220-240V and provided you have an adapter for the socket type you should be fine. In saying this, as noted about, some old hotels etc. may not handle 220-240V appliances as some of Europe used to be at 120V before they made a decision to change everything to 230V…

Countries that operate on 100-127V will need adapters, some of these are – north american countries, brazil and japan.

For more details and to find the adapter you need for specific countries, check out World Standards – Electricity

NB – the home page for this link also provides links to ‘road driving side’, paper sizes, alphabets, times and measurement systems for most countries if anyone needs that either….

• 14 Mar 2007 travelgirrl said

Default_avatar

girls, we are so complicated! vanity rules all! haha, no worries for those of who just CANT live without your straightners/curlers, etc. However, do make sure you buy a voltage converter beforehand (note: the electrical outlet in London is DIFFERENT than the rest of continental europe) So yes, buying these extra devices will carry a cost but if having nice hair is important to you, it’s worth the investment. However, if you are traveing during the summer months, ditch the straightners. It’s SO hot that your hair will end up frizzing from the humidity anyway.

• 15 Mar 2007 Stayce said

Default_avatar

I am from the US and have used a US GHD straightener with a converter every day for 8 months without any problems in Italy… however, when I tried to use my US hairdryer on the lowest heat control, I thought I was going to start a fire! Just be careful with the hair dryers… if it turns way too hot and red way too fast, I wouldn’t use it… many hotels here have hairdryers (they are not soo good) but it is something… or you can buy a cheap one from an electronic store…

• 15 Mar 2007 MzLil said

Default_avatar

Hi Chicks,
    My straightner is one thing that is on top of my list to pack. If you have a thin straightner you can actually curl your hair with it too.

• 27 Aug 2007 Jannah said

Default_avatar

I dont know if this advice is too late, but…if u have the new ghd straightener it is compatible in Europe as long as u have the converter..I’m taking mine..i’m soo not having fluffy hair in my holiday snapshots

Jannah Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 27 Aug 2007 European Explorer said

Default_avatar

So do normal Australian GHD’s work in Europe. I know they need an adaptor but does this make sure the straightner will work?

• 31 Aug 2007 Cat_Gurney said

Default_avatar

I went on the Italian Expresso tour and brought my hair straightener and blow dryer. you have to get up really early to use them cos you sure as hell dont have enough time at night!

• 9 Sep 2007 *nikki_adelaide* said

Default_avatar

my advice-
    dont take anything and hope that a few other girls on your tour did, so that you can borrow theirs Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

but honestly after the first few days everyone stinks and looks like crap. even the most pedantic girls on my tour gave up worrying about straighening their hair…you will want to be taking every moment possible to sleep, not worrying about your hair…which is either going to be mattered from being on the bus all day or frizzy when it rains.

i let my hair grow in the lead up to my trip so i could leave it down and just mess it up with a bit of product and not have to straighten it, or throw it in a pony tail.

• 17 Nov 2008 retrospeck said

Default_avatar

On my trip I brought both a straightener and hairdryer. BUT…I only used the straightener (and other girls on the tour borrowed it as well). Some of the hotels had hair dryers. I think I used my hair dryer once during a 3 week trip.

Also I used a dual voltage straightener that you can get from Amazon. Look up “Conair 2” Plates Professional Ceramic Straightener" It’s super cheap and it worked for me (I have really wavy, coarse hair). It’s not as fabulous as my CHI, but it did the job. You also don’t need a converter for it. You just need the adapter.

• 20 Nov 2008 megsalex112 said

megsalex112

I had this one for my Contiki in 2007, http://www.hairstraightening.net/mettoudua229.html http://www.hairstraightening.net/mettoudua229.html
    It worked really well, but you have to remember not to use a convertor just an adaptor for those electronics that are dual voltage (took me about half way through the trip to discover this).
    I just bought a new one but can’t find a link. It is much smaller than the Metropolis but heats up quite well.

• 7 Jan 2009 Explorer1095605 said

Default_avatar

girls the first few days you care…after that its all natural’e!

only times you care is when your going out to a nice place like monaco or out for the night. you hardly have time and i went in august so it was wayy to hot to even bother to do your hair. somehow some girls managed to have perfect hair all the time but would never go int othe pool. everyone is use to your o’natural side by the end of the tour. no hiding things!

• 8 Jan 2009 Xtina said

Default_avatar

i did my contiki just over a year ago, and every girl there had a straightener…you are allowed to take them, but at some of the places you are not allowed to use them because the voltage is too high..but you just use them in the bathrooms

• 18 Jan 2009 Nat said

Default_avatar

Definately take a straightener. If your doing a concept tour theres always somewhere in the chalets to do it or the lovely communal bathrooms (yuck) but definately take one.

• 10 Feb 2011 Bonnie said

Default_avatar

I read all of these posts before i headed off over seas. I was in Europe for a month and took my hair straightener and a hair dryer. i coudlnt live with out it. all of the other girls in my room had one too. If your on a bus for 10 hours on a really hot day you will appreciate a straightener to fix your self up a bit before dinner or going out :)
    I also really really really recomend taking a double adapter!!! i know it sounds silly but in alot of our rooms there were only two power points…and with 4 girls all wanting to use straighteners, hair dryers, phone chargers, camera cahrgers and everything else it was used every day! girls from other rooms even went and bought there own double adapters on some of our stops.

• 29 Jan 2012 AussieExplorer2012 said

AussieExplorer2012

great im bringing my hair straightener to nz then – it straightens too i think. Otherwise ill buy a cheap one from priceline or Kmart

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion