Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Some little tid bits I learnt...

30 Sep 2007 Yarni said

Default_avatar
Hey everyone.

Rather than hanging around waiting for people to ask questions that i have answers too, i figured i would just post some things for the south leg i thought might help.

1. I stayed at base backpackers. I've never stayed at a backpackers before but it was good. The mattress was more comfy than i had at home. It was clean and they have a breaky downstairs for the morning. The only downside was the showers, which were quite small and had no shelf so you have no choice but to hang everything. And there isn't a dry area. For someone who has really dry skin and has to massively moisturise all over every day, it was a challange. Also, ask at the front desk for a taxi card, it gets you discount.

2. If you can - i recommend doing the Tamaki experience in christchurch, it is unbelievable and will start your holiday off on a great note.

3. Do buy souvenirs when you can, especially if you plan on doing two or more activities in Queenstown. You won't have any time to do anything. My entire week was flat out.

4. Do the glacier hike. It's hard, but if i can pull it off with 15mins sleep and a hangover, so can you. It's worth it, and fox glacier is literally 3 cafe's and a general store. There is not a lot to do while everyone else is up there for 5 hours. (unless your up for some nice afternoon drinks to quench that hangover.)

5. Do take a couple of pub/cluby tops if you intend to hit it in queenstown. there is awesome night life.

6. Do be aware that NZ shots are 15mls, for those of you piss pot aussies, so if your not getting drunk as quickly as you usually do, you know why. That being said, a lot of places do serve double shots.

7. I only spent about $500 aud on day to day costs, including souvenirs. I was quite surprised, i spent more on stuff to take with me.

8. If your a girl and you plan on horseriding, don't wear jeans. Wear thicker cotton shorts or trackies, your vagina will thank you.

9. If you bring a digital slr type camera, bring a small pocket size one as well if you can, a lot of awesome shots will be while your out and about on the town and it's somewhat difficult to shove a slr in your purse.

10. It's quite ok to take a satchel type bag and wallet, like you would use at home. Just make sure it's big enough to fit everything in. And on that note, you will need a backpack for the overnight cruise.

11. Use your credit card for everything you can!!!

12. Do everything you can in queenstown - go hard! and if you want the photo packs they offer then budget about $30-$40 aud. Do buy them if you can, i didn't and now i wish i had bought some of them, especially the rating because you can't get your own.

13. Oh and on the rafting (shotover) rinse off in the showers but then jump into the sauna, it'll warm you up much quicker. Oh and wear your best togs because you strip off the wetsuits up top with everyone else (including the hot hot hot instructors.)

Thats all i can think of right now, hope this helps!!

Yarni
  • 6 Oct 2007 said

Default_avatar

THANKS SO MUCH for your good advice! I really needed those tips (and you are hilarious).

Questions:
    The $500 aud you spent per day, did that include food, optionals and souvnirs??

Also, did you do a quad share? I don;t need a whole lot of time to get ready in the mornings, but I can;t imagine tryig to schedule showers/bathroom time with 3 other girls. Would you reccommend a double share?

Thank oyu so much for your help!

-Amanda Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 7 Oct 2007 Yarni said

Default_avatar

Hi Amanda,

No, i spent a little over $400 aud on optionals on top of the 500. I did do a lot of drinking, and taxi-ing and i spent a bit on food cause i’m vegan. I know, your thinking but all i eat is salad and vegies, how expensive could that be? But a lot of the time i have to buy a couple of entree’s and they add up. Souvenirs i put on my card. I would count them as extra.

I would absolutely quad share. I met 3 fantastic girls on my tour and it was awesome sharing in Queenstown. What makes the tour isn’t always the scenery – for me it was the people. However we all hit it off so well that sharing the bathroom wasn’t an issue, I’m not sure how other guys went. We were like 4 typical friends, pushing each other out of the way to get to the mirror! But i’d do it. At lake ohau, it was twin share, and on the boat it was twin share too. It’s good too, if you get someone that’s maybe in a bad mood, or too hungover to talk then you’ll have 2 other people to fall back on. But in the end, go with what you’re comfortable with.

• 9 Oct 2007 aeschul said

Default_avatar

are those numbers the amount you spent per day or on the entire trip?

• 9 Oct 2007 said

Default_avatar

Thanks SOO much Yarni! Your post helped me so much! Then I will keep it a quad share. I am vegetarian, so I know what you mean about finding foods that fill you up. You sometimes do have to order two plates. Thanks once again!

Aeschul-I noticed that I read Yarni’s original post incorrectly. She said she spent $500 on “day to day” stuff, not $500 per day. Whoops! That sounds much better! Wink<!--graemlin:;)-->

• 10 Oct 2007 hughesy_33 said

Default_avatar

hey thanks for the info,
    just wondering the names of the hotels where we stay, and clubs you recomend trying!
    Sounds like you had a ball!

• 10 Oct 2007 TennisKylie said

Default_avatar

Queenstown – Ice Bar and World Bar are musts!!! World Bar sell you cocktails in teapots and you shot them. They are awesome. In Wellington you have to do the optional dinner at Blend. They are famous for their table top dancing. Mind you, you might say now I won’t be dancing on no tables but trust me once you get there you’ll be up there dancing. On my trip a lot of the times we just drank at the hotel at the places we stayed at. It was only a small way to stumble home then Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 10 Oct 2007 Yarni said

Default_avatar

we stayed at

Lake Ohau Lodge
    Real Journeys (Milford Sound cruise)
    Queenstown lodge
    rain forest retreat – franz josef

• 10 Oct 2007 adventuregal82 said

Default_avatar

Yarni, Thank you so much for your tid bits… They are very helpful.

• 11 Oct 2007 Yarni said

Default_avatar

It’s no probs guys…

• 23 Oct 2007 Asher said

Asher

hi Yarni, When did u go on your trip? u just answered so many of my questions

• 24 Oct 2007 Yarni said

Default_avatar

Hi Asher,

sept 15-23 07’

glad i could help!

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.