Community_discussions_small  

Question

An Australian doing an Australian tour?

17 Mar 2010 Kas asked

Default_avatar
Hey there!

I've been looking at the Contiki tours of Australia and some of them look awesome (esp the ones to Daydream Island/NT)! I've been with Contiki to New Zealand and I'm going to Europe in August and I'd like to do a contiki of Australia sometime next year... Is it weird to do one of your own country?

Kas
  • 17 Mar 2010 ptooma said

Default_avatar

No currency exchange issues … no health insurance to worry about. … no roaming charges for your mobile … and you’ll make plenty of new friends from around the world. Go for it.

- Vic

• 29 Mar 2010 JenShep said

JenShep

I’m planing on doing one next year and i live in queesland.

• 4 Apr 2010 Chris H said

Default_avatar

I spoke to my tour manager about it earlier this year and she said quite a few Aussies do the Aus tours so there’s nothing weird about it at all. Go for it!

• 8 Apr 2010 Raida7 said

Raida7

I’m in Brisbane and I figure why spend the extra money and time travelling overseas when I can pay $80 each way to Sydney? Wink<!--graemlin:;)-->
    Plus I’ve never seen Sydney, or anywhere else in Aus, so I figure I should exhaust the choices in this country before going overseas, especially since I’ve never travelled like this before. Cool<!--graemlin::cool:-->
    And hell yeah same language, currency, don’t need a passport, insurance, visa, etc. Why wouldn’t we Roll Eyes<!--graemlin::rolleyes:--> travel Australia?

• 16 Apr 2010 kristy said

kristy

i cant wait to do the alice and uluru because theres a rumour going around that in 5 years you wont be able to climb uluru at all. due to the fact its corroding away with daily tours going up and down. its somthing i dont want to miss if it dose happen and regret not going when i had the chance.

• 2 Sep 2011 Explorer1084121 said

Default_avatar

Not Weird at all.To be honest I haven’t seen much of my own country at all Brisbane,Cairns,Gold Coast,Hayman and Hamilton Island,Sydney and Melbourne is all I have done and the closest I have ever been to Ayers Rock is seeing it from 30,000 feet on the way to Singapore over the years.I would love to do at least one domestic young persons tour before the age of 39 which means Top Deck becomes my company to do it with.I am actually doing my very final Contiki to New Zealand next July.

• 4 Sep 2011 Marz87 said

Marz87

Personally, I don’t see the point of doing an Australian tour, when you’re from Australia. It’s easy to get some friends to travel interstate with you or just stay at a back packer place if you want to meet people. But whatever floats your boat, it’s your money.

• 4 Sep 2011 SiobhonBarry said

SiobhonBarry

Im going my first tour in Australia and im aussie i’m doing the magical tropics tour in Oct.. i really wanna find people going before i go since I am going by myself…

• 4 Sep 2011 Explorer1084121 said

Default_avatar

I agree.Keep the trip around Australia for retirement

• 7 Sep 2011 Laurel said

Laurel

Im an aussie, ive being to america before, but im really excited about travelling on a contiki around australia, too seep laces of my own country that i havnt seen before.

• 7 Sep 2011 TEA54!! said

TEA54!!

Hi Kas,
    I’m doing one in January – Coast to Whitsundays!! I live in Brisbane & a GF that I met on my last contiki to Vegas is coming over from Scotland. So we are doing the tour together :D

I can’t wait for a nice holiday around NSW & QLD!!

• 8 Sep 2011 Explorer1084121 said

Default_avatar

good for you Tea.I would like to do one but won’t get to after the end of Next Year though as I reach the age cut off.But it would be fun none the less

• 16 Feb 2012 Jen_au said

Jen_au

I’d totally do it!! So glad to hear so many others have or will do one because I did always wonder about that!!

• 16 Feb 2012 Jasmin said

Jasmin

Glad I found this – I’ve been looking at the aussie ones too and dreaming to going :)

• 18 Feb 2012 sjaneo said

sjaneo

I dont think it’s weird – I was wondering if people did that too – I’m from NZ but there’s stuff I’d never do esp on my own and it seems stupid to go visit everywhere and not explore your own country.

Although true it could be something to do when older, spend all your money on the big overseas ones first

• 19 Feb 2012 Laurel said

Laurel

Hey it’s! I did the Aussie explorer about a month ago now, I must admit I would rather travel thru and down the northern territory with a big group of people rather than on my own. And a lot of people on that tour, we’re Australians, specially the NT part, if that’s anything to go by! :)

• 27 Apr 2012 Explorer1084121 said

Default_avatar

rather unusual but I see it no different from say a Vietnamese who immigrated to Australia as a kid going back to see their own country again after many years assuming they are under 35 at the time or a Chinese doing the same thing.Each in all Do It while young.The only other way to do it would be a one month cruise around Australia or Buying a Bus/Rail Pass and doing it all in the fastest way possible on your own.

• 28 Apr 2012 evana_rose said

Default_avatar

I did a few Australia tours living in Australia, not with contiki but with my tafe coz it was cheaper and value for money, so I don’t think it’s too weird lol. The good thing with tours is that you get to meet people and sometimes you get extra information on tourist places, you otherwise wouldn’t get..It’s great to travel with friends too without a tour, but can be a challenge/doesn’t always work out because people change their minds or can’t afford it, or want to see something else and sometimes you hear about friends going together and get sick of each other by the end of it :P But sometimes it works out..just if you plan a trip, I think definately go for it whether your friends are going or not, coz you may regret it when you settle down, have kids, etc and its harder to do this lol I’m getting off topic..but in that case, probably better to go for a tour so you meet people, especially overseas because theres so much to learn about culture, custom, etc..

• 10 Aug 2012 Explorer1084121 said

Default_avatar

I am doing one with Top Deck next year as I have practically approached the Contiki Cut off by a few months.It’s something I have been meaning to do for a while but never got around to it.I have done the UK on Group,New Zealand and Vietnam Group,Canada with my Elementary School but that was way back in 1989/90 Group of 30 including teachers and South Pacific Cruising over the years but never seen my own land.it will be fun

• 25 Aug 2012 Niles said

Default_avatar

they should whether baji is banned or not ,its not sporting otherwise and they should also set an example to youngsters.Vivexin

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion