Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Late Summer Italy Trip

1 Jun 2007 Andrew said

Default_avatar
Salve -

I am about to make the move on the "Simply Italy" vacation package in September. I'd love to go in June, July, or August becuase I feel there will more people involved. How many people are typically on each trip anyway? The real reason I'm waiting is due to the fact that the Italy Football (soccer) team plays France and Ukraine on Sep. 8 and 12. My plan is to go on the 13 day vacation and then spend an extra week in Rome. I haven't booked it yet, but am getting real close. I'm 100% Italian and now is the time to make it happen!

Anybody been on the Simply Italy vacation?
Again, how many people typically go on these things? How big are the groups?

Thanks for any feedback!

Grazie - arrivederci

Andrew
  • 1 Jun 2007 Curtis71 said

Default_avatar

A typical tour group is about 50 people.

• 3 Jun 2007 Nadia said

Default_avatar

Ciao Andrew,

I personally would advise you to take your trip in September. My friend Emma and I are booked on the European Impressions Tour that departs on Sept 6th…. I am sure that there will be heaps of people booked on your trip and that you will have the opportunity to go watch “AZZURI” play in Roma.

Bon Viaggio.

Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 4 Jun 2007 PinaI said

PinaI

Groups vary in size from about 40 to 52.

If you are planning to see the Azzuri, then make sure you organise your ticket now. It is really, really, really hard to get a ticket to any of the games in Italy, trust me, I’ve been there done that and only just managed because I knew the secretary at AC Milan and she helped me out! After the struggles I had organising that I can only imagine the mission getting tickets for an International game.

I wish you luck though, there is absolutely nothing like watching Serie A live so, I can only imagine the feeling of watching Gli Azzuri live!

• 7 Jun 2007 Ginam650 said

Default_avatar

Andrew,

I just got back from doing a Simply Italy trip. I had a blast, and I’m sure you will too. It’s a very busy tour, but definitely well worth it. Our tour was completely booked and we had 50 people.

Good luck and if you have any questions let me know.

• 7 Jun 2007 MJ said

Default_avatar

Hey Andrew I thought about that Simply Italy tour but ended up booking the Rome, Sorrento,, Athens getaway just for more of the free time in Rome. My aunt went last sept and loved it. Was better weather she said not as hot and less crowded since most of the college kids had to be back to school in the us.

Where can I find a schedule for the soccer games? Wonder if any will be going 21st-24th?

Ps.. Thats a good reason to wait! Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 21 Jun 2007 Andrew said

Default_avatar

The Serie A starts up again on August 26 and the Azzurri play France on September 8 and the Ukraine on Septeber 12.

I would LOVE to actually go to a game, but I doubt that is going to happen. I’m kinda guessing the entire country will be watching the match vs. France whether it be live at the match, at home, in a bar, or possibly with thousands of other people in the streets. Either way – I’m going to be there!

Perhaps, I can possibly get a ticket to a Serie A game since I’ll be in Italy for an extra few days on my own!

• 31 Jul 2007 Braxton said

Default_avatar

PinaI

i am thinking of booking the Oct or Nov Simply Italy. are the tours as full this time of year as in the Summer for example? what is the minimum for a tour to take place? does Contiki ever just put two low volume tours together in to one?

thanks

Braxton

• 31 Jul 2007 PinaI said

PinaI

Hey Braxton – I couldn’t give you exact figures on the tours in October or Novermber but I’m guessing, unless it is a guaranteed departure date, that there will be slightly fewer people on board as it heads into the Winter season.

Having said that, as you know a lot of US citizens only get 2weeks vacation time each year (compared to Australia’s 4wks) so they tend to book up a lot of the shorter tours because they can!

Minimum to take place, I would think at least 36-38pax are required for the tour to go ahead. I did one tour with 41pax and the other had a full load, 52 people on board! Nowadays though, because Contiki has guaranteed departure dates, perhaps these numbers are slightly more.

I haven’t heard of Contiki ever putting two low volume tours together but yes, they do cancel tours sometimes and, if that happens, they will always try to get you on to another tour around the same time that goes to similar places. In that sense, I guess you could say they put two low volume tours together but you have a choice not to go on the other tour if your first one is cancelled.

On another note, whilst talking about cancelling, if you book anything with Contiki make sure you get yourself COMPREHENSIVE TRAVEL INSURANCE to cover you in case of tour cancellation. You could be out of pocket some serious cash otherwise.

Hope this helps.

• 2 Aug 2007 coleo8 said

Default_avatar

i did the simply italy tour last september and there were 28 of us

~nicole
    sacramento, ca USA

• 3 Aug 2007 Elysetta said

Default_avatar

Hi guys! If u need some information about the weather or stuff like that, ask me!

• 9 Aug 2007 Braxton said

Default_avatar

nicole; thank you for the feedback. did you feel like 28 people was too small of a group? how was it? did you ever think you would be having more fun if the tour was more full?

thanks

Braxton

• 20 Aug 2007 Jennifer said

Default_avatar

I’m going on the Simply Italy tour Sept 2-14th. I heard the weather’s a lot cooler in Sept than if i were to book a tour earlier this summer.

Let me know if you know anyone going on the same tour.

Thanks!

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion