Community_discussions_small  

Comment

New York City-must see!

15 May 2008 Princessvixen said

Default_avatar
Hi All
I am heading to New York again next month and was looking for recommendations of must see things to do? I have 3 full days there and would like to maxamize my time there. Also is the Yankee Stadium tour worth doing? My freind really wants to do it.

Thanks in advance
Lisa
  • 16 May 2008 Miss Jane said

Miss Jane

Hey Lisa
    Lucky you New York is awesome! I’ve been 3 times and iy’s totally one of my favourite places…Here’s a short list of things I think are must see:

– Rockerfeller Centre (go to the top of the observatory deck cheaper than Empire States building, just as spectacular views if not better, and the line to get up there takes about a tenth of the time – you can be lining up for 2 hours at the ESB)

MOMA (Museum of Modern Art) totally awesome. I spent 3 hours here. If you love art then you will really enjoy it. It has some of the worlds most famous art works including work by Van Gogh, Picasso, Kandinsky, Chagall and more)

– Times Square just to see it and wander round is nice. It doesn’t cost you anything and has a great atmosphere. There are lots of great shops around the area and cool places to eat (although they can be a bit pricey sometimes)...Nice to see at night

– Ground Zero It’s really something worth seeing and something I found really moving. It’s in downtown and there are other nice things to see in this area to so you can kinda do everything in that area (e.g battery park, wall street, chinatown etc)

– For dinner one night head to 9th Ave (or Hell’s Kitchen)... It’s a street filled with lots of great restaurants from all over the world. Really great food here for any taste. Range of prices too so can suit anyone.

Central Park- Just take some time to wander around and take it in. It’s nice and relaxing and there’s lots to see. There’s an ice rink, zoo, lake, expansive ;lawns to relax on. It’s just nice to wander through. You can also take carriage rides but be prepared to bargain a price they can get a bit greedy But there are lots to choose from.

Lastly I’d just say wander the streets, maybe up 5th avenue and then cut across and see some of the streets around Broadway, take a subway just the everyday things that really give you a sense of what New York is like. It’s an amazing place and I’m sure you’ll love it

• 16 May 2008 Princessvixen said

Default_avatar

Hi again
    Thanks for all the great responses. Some of these things I would never have thought of. I’ll be compiling a list soon to email my friends. New York here I come!
    Cheers
    Lisa

Grand Northern 27/06/08
    Las Vegas 18/07/08-23/07/08
    California Highlights 23/07/08-29/07/08
    San Diego 30/07/08-03/08/08
    Honolulu 03/08/08-08/08/08

“Rockin’ in the Usa”

• 21 May 2008 princess19 said

Default_avatar

I think everyone else covered all of the spots recommended by natives =) One more thing.. as far as a Broadway show see RENT. Its closing in Sept and is my favorite show of all time( Just saw it for the 10th time last weekend). The current cast isnt the best that I have seen but the show is still amazing!

YES YES YES on anything to do with the Yankees… I mean they are the greatest team in baseball!! ( ok so maybe im slightly biased….)

I live the museum of natural history too….

• 27 May 2008 LeahSFX said

LeahSFX

Hiya,

Ive been 3 times and I recommend the Sex and the City Tour if you are a fan, especially the cupcakes at Magnolia Bakery!!

Ive also done a TV & Movie Tour (OnLocation Tours) which was excellent (Friends and Will&Grace buildings, Ghostbusters firehouse etc), the NBC Studio Tour was good and I danced on the giant piano from the movie Big in FAO Schwartz which was a personal highlight each and every time he he…

More of a movie buff’s NYC for me lol…!

I can highly recommend Robert De Niros resturant Tribeca Grill if you need a good place to eat, its not pretentious and isnt that pricey really. I love it anyhow.

A good cheap way to see Central Park from above is to go to the Bar in the Mandarin Oriental hotel in the AOL TimeWarner centre at Columbus Circle… the view is amazing, go just before sunset and just get a mineral water and enjoy the view for free or if youre feeling flush get a cocktail lol!!

Hope that helps x

• 27 May 2008 cdm115 said

cdm115

I recommend going to Ellis Island, it’s actually a cultural thing to do in NYC. You can learn about imigration and the procedures people had to get through to get admitted into the United States.

Also the Village is a neat place to walk around in. Sex shops, and hip places to eat/drink. Take a walk down Christopher Street, but don’t pick up a prostitute unless you like surprises.

• 3 Oct 2008 DaniMac said

Default_avatar

HaHa I feel like I need to get married in the US just so I can stay stay long enough in NY to see all the awesome sights!!!

• 3 Oct 2008 USTraveller said

Default_avatar

I just did the Big Apple Explorer, and for me one of the little gems is the South Street Seaport. There’s some good eateries and decent souvenir shopping (slightly better prices than Times Square) as well as amazing views of the Brooklyn Bridge and some street entertainers. There’s a TKTS booth down there that opens at 11am and is far less crowded than the one in Times Square too.

• 5 Oct 2008 JimBrayFan said

Default_avatar

If your a sports fan, sign up for a Tour of Madison Square Garden.

A favorite eatery of mine is the Triple Crown Ale Pub (7th, between 28-29th.. something like that). Great food and if you want to watch the game (or any game, US or international)

• 16 Jun 2009 Zak C. said

Default_avatar

There really is a ton of stuff to see in NYC. Even 3 days may not be enough to cover all the best stuff but hey, it’s better than nothing!

Definitely check out: The Empire State Building
    Statue of Liberty
    Times Square
    Broadway Show

Those are the classic must see’s but there are plenty other like union square, battery park, wall street, NYSE, historic bars, clubs etc.

There are countless other attractions that many people overlook but a good way to get a taste of the best stuff is to take a guided tour by an expert.

Check out Uncle Sam’s New York for the different tour options. They do pub crawls and nightlife tours for those looking to go out at night. More info can be found on their Travel Blog Check them out and good luck!

• 28 Feb 2012 BecS said

BecS

Hey everyone, may I put a few different suggestions in the mix. If you want to see some awesome graffiti artwork, I’d suggest checking out 5 points in Queens. All you need to do is hop on the subway, get off at the court house station, and you’re there! I now have absolutely awesome happy snap pics (just no commercial photography). It doesn’t take long to look around and you could easily check the place out in under an hour. Plus it’s fun checking out other boroughs! Everyone else ideas are awesome too!

My favourite restaurant in the whole of NYC is in an area in Manhattan, Little Korea – HANGAWI!!! Oh yummo! Best food I’ve ever had! It was one of those OMG moments where you make suggestive noises as you eat coz the food is so yummy! It is Vegetarian Korean Cuisine and the atmosphere and service is absolutely amazing. It’s located 12 E 32nd St between Fifth and Madison Avenues. Their Pomegranate Iced Tea was something very different too.

Bar-wise, PDT is a fun little cocktail bar – with it’s only access point being through a telephone booth in a little hotdog shop. It’s one of those ‘secret bars’ that you hear about – you feel like a superstar once you find it. The service is great and the drinks are potent (but very nice). The waiters are sweet as as well :) Located in the East Village at 113 St Marks Place between First Avenue and Avenue A. There’s also nice little places to eat along the whole street, so book a table at PDT, then get some nibbles beforehand.

I could go on forever…

I heart NYC

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.