Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Working Holiday in England

14 Nov 2006 ReneeH said

Default_avatar
Hi
I am looking at going to England in Feb 2007 on a working holiday Visa by myself and starting the trip with a contiki Tour. I am a little worried about finding accom after tour as a lot of people are telling me it is very expensive to live there. Has anyone got any tips or handy information?
  • 14 Nov 2006 PinaI said

PinaI

Heres some information I posted in another thread that might help.

Gumtree (www.gumtree.com) is definitely the best option for accommodation. It’s quick and easy and there are heaps of places that will be available straight away so once you find one you like, just move in!

You should expect to pay between 90-120quid for your room, fully furnished and with most expenses included (depending on where you choose to live, of course)! Don’t forget you will also have to pay bond, normally 6wks rent – that’s a huge blow but you do get it back when you leave.

Bedsits are tiny, poky rooms – not worth it. House Share is what you want, normally means you will rent a room in a house with 2-3-4, up-to 11 that I know of, other people!

Where to live…well again, that’s debatable! I personally would not live in East London or in Hammersmith, Shepards Bush, Fulham etc – anywhere that is packed with Aussies! I left Australia to experience London, the last thing I wanted to do was move in with them!

NW London is lovely, that’s where I stayed (Finchley Road). Mates of mine live up in Neasdon/Willsden Green. Again, nice area but lots of Aussies and NZ’s! I also know people that live down in Canary Wharf – lovely area but pricey!

You probably don’t want to go further than Zone 4, otherwise travel will cost you a fortune!

Invest in an Oyster Card when you get there. It means you can travel on the underground and buses as much as you like for the one weekly price (I think it’s about 25quid now).

ADDED INFO:
    You could probably find somewhere to stay from Day 1 on Gumtree too – there are heaps of places that will have short-term room rentals that you can line up now. You could also ‘doss’ on someone’s couch. I know that sounds terrible but it will save you a lot of money, hotels aren’t cheap and hostels aren’t the nicest, and give you a great chance to meet people from day dot.

If you have any more questions, just ask. Having lived in London for a while, I’d be happy to help!

Good luck – you’ll love it over there!

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion