Community_discussions_small  

Question

How many pics did ppl take!???

3 Feb 2007 CrisToronto asked

Default_avatar
Hey, Just wondering how many pictures people took on their trips? I'm doing the 39-day Euro trip and debating between taking a 1 Gig or 2 Gig memory stick. My only concern i have is that I dont think I want to brng a 2 GB memory stick and end up with 2000 pics!! Whoa!! thats a lot!! lol! Just curious to know what people have done in the past!

thnx
  • 3 Feb 2007 Ginam650 said

Default_avatar

It all depends on the type of camera you are using, and if you like taking photos. I’m going on Simply Italy and the Aegean Classic in May, and I’m taking 3, 2GB memory cards. I’m stressing cause I don’t that will be enough!! I read from other posts that you can always stop in a photo shop an transfer the photos to a CD.

• 4 Feb 2007 PinaI said

PinaI

I took about 700 pics on the Panorama and over 1600 on the Grand Southern!

• 4 Feb 2007 ptooma said

Default_avatar

Maybe 2000-2500 for Panorama/Spain & Portugal
    Take many pics and sort it out later. These are the only memories you will be able to go back and reminisce. Flash memory is cheap.

- Vic

• 7 Feb 2007 Vivz said

Default_avatar

There will always be time for you to buy more memory. It depends if you wanna snap every single min of your tour, or just the grand sites.
    I’m trigger happy. I go insane with my camera. My friends are always accusin me of bein a poser! Which I happily agree ;D I love takin photos of everything; includin a mass section of myself in different exciting places/environment. So I’m definately bringin alot of memory. I mean.. theres no harm done if you do so aswell Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->
    Theres always the delete button.

• 9 Feb 2007 Velly4 said

Default_avatar

Another option is a Vosoic multimedia device, its like a ipod but you can plug most kind of memory cards into it and transfer all your videos and pics onto it. They can hold from 20gb up to 160gb. www.vosonic.com

• 23 Feb 2007 Chris_V said

Chris_V

Hi there
    my name is chris from melbourne australia and I would be taking 5GB to Europe and is there place to download the pics on to cd

• 15 Mar 2007 travelgirrl said

Default_avatar

i am a fanatical picture taker—after all you’re only in europe a few times in your life right? but 1 GB is more than enough. No need to splurge on the 2GB. Hope this helps!

• 17 Mar 2007 Curtis71 said

Default_avatar

I take “a lot” of photos so I average about 70 per day on vacation.

If you live in the USA Or Canada, go and get your digital memory at CostCo because it tends to be MUCH cheaper there, sometimes less than 50% of the cost of Best Buy / FutureShop / etc.

For a 39 day trip, I would take at least 2 × 2GB sticks for a camera that is ~5 MP.

One thing people should also do at the end of the day is go through their digital photos on the screen on their camera and delete all the bad ones. You might get another extra couple of days out of a large memory card because of this.

• 21 Mar 2007 ~*Alex*~ said

Default_avatar

i’ve only got a 512 memory card, but will probably buy a 1 or 2g card before i go.

Are there places where you can burn your pics to CDs? I think i’d do that regardless of the amount of memory card space i had, because if i accidentally wiped the card, i’d lose everything!!!

I usually take around 100 pics when i go clubbing, so i’ll probably be taking loads!

Has anyone ever had any problems putting pics on CD’s while they were o/s?

Alex Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 22 Mar 2007 Curtis71 said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by Alex:
    i’ve only got a 512 memory card, but will probably buy a 1 or 2g card before i go.

Are there places where you can burn your pics to CDs? I think i’d do that regardless of the amount of memory card space i had, because if i accidentally wiped the card, i’d lose everything!!!

I usually take around 100 pics when i go clubbing, so i’ll probably be taking loads!

Has anyone ever had any problems putting pics on CD’s while they were o/s?

Alex Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

I saw guys who would do this in Italy for 10-20 euros. At that price you’d be better off just getting a couple more memory cards when they go on sale at your local shop.

Deleting all your pictures by accident is not easy. The option in most camera to format it is generally buried several menus deep and requires confirmations.

If you burn to CD, you would probably get some garbage quality media. People think CDs are “permanent” storage but they are actually very susceptible to damage, and cheap ones last only a few months before dying. I would only trust this if I brought my own notebook computer with good quality CD-Rs.

Solid state memory cards, on the other hand, are VERY durable. I have even heard of people finding waterlogged ones in rivers and streams with all the pictures still good.

If you have an iPod, you might also want to look into devices that download images from your memory card onto the iPod.

• 23 Mar 2007 *nikki_adelaide* said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bionda:
    i took about 600 photos on a 25 day tour. i ended up dropping the megapixels on my camera from 6 to 4, so that i could fit more onto the card. the quality was still terrific.

Can someone kindly explain this whole megapixel thing to me. i have a 10 x optical 5.0 megapixel digital camera, i think ive got the megapixels set up to 5.0. is the megapixels just for say, if you want to blow a picture up?? can someone make an educated guess as to how many pics i would get if i was to take with me a 2GB, 1GB and a 512…sorry im a bit cameratarded.

• 23 Mar 2007 Curtis71 said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by nikki_adelaide:
    Can someone kindly explain this whole megapixle thing to me. i have a 10 x optical 5.0 megapixle digital camera, i think ive got the megapixles set up to 5.0. is the megapixle just for say, if you want to blow a picture up?? sorry im a bit cameratarded.

Each photo taken by your digital camera is made up of tiny coloured dots (pixels) that combine to make up the photo. A million pixels is one megapixel (MP).

Using a higher megapixel setting means that your photo will be made up of more pixels, so the image will be of higher quality and printouts will look better. Also you have better potential for blowing up photos and still having the result look good.

Higher MP settings will also eat up space on your memory card faster because higher quality pictures take up more space. So if someone was worried about space on their camera’s memory card, they may use a lower MP setting so each photo eats up less space. If you are just printing 4×6 pictures, you’ll do fine with 4 MP, but who knows what you’ll want to blow up later?

Now I may get called out by other camera afficionados so I should give the following condition: Number of megapixels is only one of many factors that determines the camera’s picture quality. Image compression settings, lens optics, flash, ISO and many other settings come into play. I believe the Mars Pathfinder Rover had a 1.0 MP camera but still it sent back amazing pictures that I’m sure you’ve seen.

• 24 Mar 2007 ashleightara said

ashleightara

RE Memory card capacity, check out the link…http://www.digicamhelp.com/accessories/memory-cards/capacity.php

Nikki – for a 5MP camera it suggests that you would get 409 shots per 1GB, assuming your camera produces ‘file sizes’ around 2.5MB each.

• 25 Mar 2007 Wherezjustin said

Default_avatar

i took like 500 pictures plus it was crazy you are goig to need to buy a good memory card for a digital camera or alot of disposable. with a contiki trip they take you everywhere and you are going to want to capture the KODAK momment

• 25 Mar 2007 Curtis71 said

Default_avatar

You know I’m thinking I’ll just get a pile of memory cards at home because I know where to get them cheap, and after the trip I’ll just return the spares to the store.

• 25 Mar 2007 Glennl said

Default_avatar

Hi, I have a 6 MP camera, I am taking 4 × 2GB memory cards and a 512MB card. Do you think this will be enough for 2 days in Dubai, 1 week in London, 2 days in Bath, 1 week in Penzance, 19 day contiki tour (European Inspiration) and 3 days in Singapore?

Thanks

• 25 Mar 2007 Curtis71 said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by Glennl:
    Hi, I have a 6 MP camera, I am taking 4 × 2GB memory cards and a 512MB card. Do you think this will be enough for 2 days in Dubai, 1 week in London, 2 days in Bath, 1 week in Penzance, 19 day contiki tour (European Inspiration) and 3 days in Singapore?

Total is 37 days here. You’d have to average 4.3 days / GB, so unless you plan to take more than 80-90 pics per day, you should be OK.

• 26 Mar 2007 Jason Ring said

Default_avatar

I went for 14 days and took about 300 pics. lol Thats the beauty of digital because you can just delete them later. Bring a big card because having to get them off your card when its full is a little annoying.

• 31 Mar 2007 *nikki_adelaide* said

Default_avatar

for those who are NOT camera savy like myself…
    i have a 5.0 mega pixel camera…just bought a couple of 2GB cards and set on 5.0 mega pixels they will take just over 1200 photos.

im taking a 2GB, 1GB and 512MB – therefore i’ll be able to take around 2 thousand photos – if my calculations are correct.

but im also going to take a spare 2GB. im going to attempt to put all my video clips on that one.

• 31 Mar 2007 bellyk said

bellyk

Just remember that you dont have to have the camera set to the highest megapixel level the whole time – the lower it is the more photos you’ll get.
    I’ve been on a few journeys with another great company in the USA and took too many photo’s. Most of the time my camera was set to the lowest level and the photos turned out perfect at the normal size you would get from a photo shop.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion