Community_discussions_small  

Question

How many pics did ppl take!???

3 Feb 2007 CrisToronto asked

Default_avatar
Hey, Just wondering how many pictures people took on their trips? I'm doing the 39-day Euro trip and debating between taking a 1 Gig or 2 Gig memory stick. My only concern i have is that I dont think I want to brng a 2 GB memory stick and end up with 2000 pics!! Whoa!! thats a lot!! lol! Just curious to know what people have done in the past!

thnx
  • 1 Apr 2007 Kat said

Default_avatar

i cant beleive how few photos some people have taken, Eeker<!--graemlin::eek:--> i went on a one hour tour of the freo prison (its in Fremantle, Perth WA – mum had never been so i took her on the tour) and in that hour i had taken over 100 pics, and that was just in one hour, and i wasnt taking photos the whole time!!!! and it was at a prison!!!! (note: prison is not in service, it used to be a maximum security one when we were first settled or something!) so imagine how many i will be taking considering i am in Italy 24hours a day (ok for some of those hours i will be sleeping or eating or getting dressed or something) and for 2 weeks!! say im taking photos for 14hrs in the day that would be 1400 per day x 12 (days of tour) = 16,800!!!! Eeker<!--graemlin::eek:--> i am soo not going to have enough memory!! (ok so realistically i probably wont take that many photos but i do love taking photos! Big Grin<!--graemlin::D--> )

• 19 Aug 2007 Jaybe said

Default_avatar

Hey All,

I have just purchased my memory cards … I have 3 × 1 GB cards and 1 × 256 MB. I have a 5 megapixel camera and planing to use it at 4 megapixel thats about 3000 photos. (on 3 mega pixel it is approx 3500 photos)

So that is approx 100 photos a day !!

Does anyone know if that would be sufficent for a 22 day camping tours with 4 days in london before contiki & 1 day after contiki?? Confused<!--graemlin::confused:-->

• 19 Aug 2007 ashleightara said

ashleightara

If its not, you’ll have to go to a shop and get photos put on a CD.

And remember you aren’t as likely to take 100 photos on a bus day…so I think it will all average out.

Worst case, go and get another card Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 19 Aug 2007 CrisToronto said

Default_avatar

i took 1200 in 2 months!

• 19 Aug 2007 Steftacular said

Steftacular

well i know i took an excessive amount of pics – but i took around 6000 pics (which was about 10-12 Gb) in the 50 days i was on tour…. i had a portable hard drive i uploaded them to (much like how most ppl uploaded to their IPods) and only brought 2 1Gb cards with me that I rotated… which i think is your best bet..

• 19 Aug 2007 Dominique10 said

Default_avatar

I took 1200 in 3 weeks…..

• 27 Apr 2008 danielle0801 said

Default_avatar

will contiki be able to assist with burning photos to disc? i know trafalgar does this. or even point in the right direction of a shop or internet cafe that can do so?

• 28 Apr 2008 Jess-ade said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by Steftacular:
    well i know i took an excessive amount of pics – but i took around 6000 pics (which was about 10-12 Gb) in the 50 days i was on tour…. i had a portable hard drive i uploaded them to (much like how most ppl uploaded to their IPods) and only brought 2 1Gb cards with me that I rotated… which i think is your best bet..

Hi Steftacular,

Just wondering if you can give me some advice as I think that I will be buying a portable hard drive to do this also. How do you transfer the photos onto the hard drive? Do you have to transfer from camera to computer and then to hard drive or can you do this direct? Does it take long?

Thanks!!

• 28 Apr 2008 Steftacular said

Steftacular
    quote:
    Originally posted by Jess86:
    Hi Steftacular,

Just wondering if you can give me some advice as I think that I will be buying a portable hard drive to do this also. How do you transfer the photos onto the hard drive? Do you have to transfer from camera to computer and then to hard drive or can you do this direct? Does it take long?

Thanks!!

I bought mine from wolverinedata.com (http://www.wolverinedata.com/index.php/site/quicklinks/C13/) but im sure you can find something comparable.

The way the digital photo back up hard drives work, is that you just plug your photo card into the hard drive and it automatically uploads your pics from the card to the drive. Then when you get home you use a USB cord to transfer the contents of your external hard drive to your computer. I uploaded my card to my hard drive everyday so it was easier to manage the photos when i got home. If you do go this route, make sure you try out all of your cards with the hard drive before you go to make sure that they’re formatted correctly, otherwise you may lose some photos… a lesson i learned the hard way Frowner<!--graemlin::(--> but all in all it was a great investment… I bought the cheapest one thinking id sell it when I got home but its come in handy numerous times. Its definately something to ebay and shop around with. Though my roommate and many other people on tour did the same things with their Ipods and it worked just as well.

Let me know if you have any other questions, good luck!

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion