Community_discussions_small  

Comment

hanmer springs

18 Aug 2008 ashlie said

Default_avatar
Has anyone been there?
I'm told its really beautiful, and the spas are amazing. Is it worth the trip from christchurch and stay for 1 full day and overnight?
Anyone got any tips?
Or other suggestions for day trips from christchurch after the tour?
Thanks Smiler
  • 19 Aug 2008 Kiwi_chk said

Default_avatar

Kaikoura or Akaroa or Hanmer Springs would all be good day trip ideas.

Depends if your tour takes you to any of these places.

Kaikoura Kaikoura – whalewatching.
    Akaroa Akaroa – french town – harbour area – dolphins.
    Hanmer Springs Hanmer Springs – the springs/pools are great, you can get massages and other treatments.

• 22 Aug 2008 ashlie said

Default_avatar

thanks Kiwi_chk,
    I looked on the internet and have found some good day trips! cheap too. beats my original plan of spending the night there. thanks again for the advice!

• 25 Aug 2008 RachelNZ said

RachelNZ

hi,
    Canterbury Leisure Tours are a great company in Christchurch that do all sorts of day tours etc, Akaroa, Hanmer Springs, Mt Cook, Kaikoura. There is also the Transapline Train to Greymouth day trip, defo worth it scenery wise.
    Working in Tourism I have used them often with tourists.

Hope this helpsSmiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 26 Aug 2008 ashlie said

Default_avatar

Hi Rachel,
    I shall look that up. I found one place and tried to enquire, yet they wont do a booking for akaroa as they required a min of 2 people per booking. Quite angry, as feel discriminated against as a single traveller.
    But yes I have found a good one for hanmer.
    Thanks, didnt realise that the train did a greymouth day trip.
    Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 31 Aug 2008 RachelNZ said

RachelNZ

with the train – you pay for what you see between christchurch and greymouth! stunning mountain scenery! you spend all of 1hr in greymouth for a bit of lunch, it a nice westcoast town.

• 1 Sep 2008 Princessvixen said

Default_avatar

My friends and I went to the south island last year.We did an overnight in c/church then drove up to Hamner Springs and stayed there.I do think it is worth the drive as it’s a gorgeous little town with beautiful scenery along the way.I think it took us about 90 mins or so to drive there.I stayed in a cool place called ‘Tussock Peak’ which was $200 NZD for a 2 bedroom apartment.They were very new units and beautifully decorated and even had a private balcony.Units were a huge size and I loved them.The thermal pools are a fantastic way to spend a few hours.I payed a bit extra and got a private room for 30mins but still had full access to all other pools.Had dinner in a gorgeous local pub and then headed to Lake Tekapo next day!

• 7 Sep 2008 ashlie said

Default_avatar

Hi princessvixen,
    thanks for the reply. ive booked my tour now to hanmer, just a day trip. and quite cheap, as includes lunch and thermal pool pass. looking forward to it.
    Anywhere else you would recommend?

• 7 Sep 2008 Princessvixen said

Default_avatar

Where are we talking here?

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.