Attention all Forum Users.
We’re working on a brand new shiny tool to make your experience as simple as possible.
Which means the community forums is now read only whilst we work on a new & improved ‘My Contiki’ space.


Cancelled tour? List it here ...

31 Jan 2007 ptooma asked

<BR>If your tour was <B>cancelled</B> list it here ... <BR>Indicate tour name and date, and date when you found out it was cancelled. Hopefully this may serve as a reference as to when tours are more frequently cancelled - or less popular. That said, <B>you NEED to get insurance</B>!!<BR> <BR>Tour Name:<BR>Tour Date:<BR>Date it was cancellled:<BR><BR></span>
  • Read the responses 244 responses so far
  • 31 Jan 2007 dolphincass said


    Road To Athens
    17th April 2007
    Found out it was cancelled on 25th January 2007

  • 31 Jan 2007 Shannon Emily said


    European Horizon
    May 2nd 2007
    Saw it on website as cancelled 29 Jan 07
    So only 10 weeks to go!
    (It was lucky i looked on the website and told my travel agent straight away as i managed to get on another tour yesterday (31 Jan) which was listed as call for availivilty. She hadnt heard from contiki yet! (Which i think was a bit bad on contikis part, i thought they would let her know straight away) Otherwise my travel plans would have been reallly stuffed up!

  • 31 Jan 2007 Kamada said


    London to Rome
    4 April 2007
    I found out from the travel agent this morning(1 Feb), she was told last night.

  • 1 Feb 2007 MELANIE2 said


    Great Britain/Southern Ireland
    5th-19th April
    Date cancelled: 25th January

    I believe they have to give at least 45 days notice when they cancel a tour.

  • 4 Feb 2007 silver007star said


    New Zealand – Northern Highlights
    Mar 8-15, 2007
    Cancelled Dec 30, 2006.
    Man was I P*SSED!!!
    AND I had gotten a discount of $150 for booking a NZ and AUS tours and they made me pay the $150 back to them after cancelling my NZ tour!

  • 6 Feb 2007 Doll-Doll said


    Clearly March/April at this point are not good dates to book. Frowner<!--graemlin::(-->

  • 7 Feb 2007 Megan537 said


    European Contrasts… was set to depart London May 4th… Just found out today (Feburary. 7th) Looks like I might have to do a shorter trip

  • 7 Feb 2007 nicc3 said


    Simply Italy April 30-May 11 is cancelled.(Found out Feb 7) But Contiki is honouring the price and airfare for me to go on the Guaranteed Departure a few weeks later in May.

  • 11 Feb 2007 Fiona_2007 said



    Could someone tell me base on their past experience that does Non-guaranteed departure tours in July normally go ahead?

    I want to book the European Vista on 5th July which is not a guaranteed departure, because it suits my travel plan the best.

    Has anyone already book on that tour? Please let me know if you do….



  • 25 Feb 2007 gav31 said


    Hey Fiona_2007
    My Girlfriend and I Were booked on the European Vista for the June 2nd but it has now been cancelled, so we had to change our date forward to 28th May as the next few tours were booked out.

  • 27 Feb 2007 Bryan Haley said


    Euro Highlights
    May 14-29

    I am booking on the London to Rome tour leaving around the same time.

  • 18 Mar 2007 sue123 said


    Tour Name: Eastern Road
    Tour Date: June 9, 2007
    Date Canceled: March 14, 2007

    I found out by checking the website. I went to my travel agent the next day, and she didn’t know yet. When she called Contiki, they told her htey were in the process of calling travel agents. I’m going on Berlin to Budapest instead, and going to Poland afterwards on my own.

  • 21 Apr 2007 whyme said

    Originally posted by Elizabeth78:
    Taste of Tuscany: May 18
    Taste of Tuscany: June 15

    Both of these were guaranteed depatures and were withdrawn. As a result, I ended up booking the July tour. It was frustrating, but at least I can still go!

    I think its terrible that they can cancel “guaranteed departures” unless something terrible is going on in a country on that trip. Don’t call it guaranteed, if its not!!!

  • 17 May 2007 Bree 24aus said


    Great Britain july 19-26 2007 cancelled

  • 16 Jul 2007 optical illusion said


    Hi all,

    Our trip was cancelled in July (Wild Western September 2nd-14th) and I’m not even going to go into how annoyed I was about that. And yes I know it’s a risk you take, and I’ve read their T & C’s. Because we are on a world tour everything was booked around it so no changes can be made. As a result we have to hire a car and do it ourselves, turn up at motels/hotels and just hope they have room. (any tips for that btw )

    Of course, this all has to be paid for, out of the money that we paid to Contiki. (I’m not growing it in my back garden like)

    Only today, my travel agent tells me that it can take 8 weeks for Contiki to send them the cheque!!! I don’t see THAT mentioned anywhere in the T & C….

    Now if this is not taking the mickey I don’t know what is, we need that money before we go to America…

    I’m afraid I shall not be booking with Contiki in the future but I just wanted to issue a word of warning to customers who may have their tours cancelled…

    Btw moderators, should this not be in a generalised board rather than under ‘European advice’

  • 17 Jul 2007 Narelle said


    My tour dates were cancelled, i was originally going on the Alice/Uluru tour in the 1st week of september. Contiki cancelled that tour with about 55 days notice, and offered me a choice of the same tour a week earlier or 3 weeks latter. BUT when i b ooked my original dates i did not insure them (thought i would wait for them to be confirmed) and consequentily had to pay another $220 to rearrange my flights. It was also difficult to rearrange time off work. I recommend you ignore the early bird prices of tours – where you pay 6 months in advance when thy wont confirm weather the tour will go ahead until 45 days beforehand.

  • 17 Jul 2007 Nadia said


    Our EUROPEAN INSPIRATIONS TOUR Sept 6th was cancelled and we just found out last week…

    We are now waiting for Contiki to confrim that our next choice Euro Encounter Sept 9th is definately going to leave….

    Fingers crossed!

  • 25 Jul 2007 ktan said


    i was going on the aussie explorer from the 17th October…

    but it got cancelled! found out the other day so its not too bad! as its still a few months away! just need to plan something new!!!

  • 25 Jul 2007 jackieNY81 said

    Originally posted by Erista81:
    I was originally booked on the Italian Espresso August 25th departure. That was cancelled so I’m going a week earlier

    Are you going on the one departing the 18th or the 11th?

  • 27 Jul 2007 Vixi said


    I was going to be on Territory and Outback from 17th October but found out the other day that its been cancelled. They offered my other dates but I might just do something different – i have 2 more tours with them anyway.

We are no longer accepting new responses to this discussion thread.



Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.