Community_discussions_small  

Question

Cancelled tour? List it here ...

31 Jan 2007 ptooma asked

Default_avatar

If your tour was cancelled list it here ...
Indicate tour name and date, and date when you found out it was cancelled. Hopefully this may serve as a reference as to when tours are more frequently cancelled - or less popular. That said, you NEED to get insurance!!

Tour Name:
Tour Date:
Date it was cancellled:

• 26 Jun 2008 Explorer1088738 said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by KimmerCanada:
    Hey Explorer1088738,

I’ve all rebooked – I’ll be on the London & Paris tour from September 6, but after that I’ve decided to hit Turkey & Egypt instead and go a little crazy. So excited!

That’s awesome Smiler<!--graemlin::)--> I’ll be seeing you on the 6th of September then! Smiler<!--graemlin::)--> Do you go back to London from Paris or head straight to Turkey? Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 26 Jun 2008 ContikiTourBirthdayGirl said

Default_avatar

European Magic September 5-15, 2008

• 27 Jun 2008 work2travel said

work2travel
    quote:
    Originally posted by ContikiTourBirthdayGirl:
    European Magic September 5-15, 2008

Was that cancelled on your b-day?
    That would be sad! Frowner<!--graemlin::(-->

• 27 Jun 2008 ContikiTourBirthdayGirl said

Default_avatar

Yeah, it was. But I’m now doing the London, Paris and Rome tour. Same dates, so I still get to celebrate my birthday in Europe. Only this time instead of Lucerne, it’ll be in Rome!

• 28 Jun 2008 work2travel said

work2travel

Well I’m glad it worked out for you then! Personally, I’d rather be in Rome than Lucerne for my birthday anyway!

I’m still keeping my fingers crossed with my tours. GIH is supposedly guaranteed, but not MedH. It worries me because it’s not even on the website, so hopefully people have been booking it from the brochures!
    Confused<!--graemlin::confused:-->

• 30 Jun 2008 steph said

Default_avatar

hey can anyone tell me if euro inspirationas are liekly to get cancelled for sep 20th i’m freaking out now after reading this post

• 4 Jul 2008 lalapelosa said

Default_avatar

Hey all, I was wondering about the likelyhood of a cancellation during the winter, particularly when a trip is occurring during Christmas?

• 5 Jul 2008 ContikiTourBirthdayGirl said

Default_avatar

to all you who are worried about cancelled trips. Select one with a guaranteed departure and save yourself the heartache and worrying! (or buy the best trip cancellation/interruption insurance you can afford) As for Christmas departures, I would say they should be fine (I work in the travel industry myself and it’s always busy, a lot busier than you would think). Maybe you could talk with a travel agent, one who has a lot of knowledge of Contikis

• 8 Jul 2008 kate1987 said

kate1987

do anyone know which tours are guaranteed? If anyone knows please post it because it would a good thing to know..

• 9 Jul 2008 kate1987 said

kate1987

thanks for posting ptooma is was very helpful information! Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->

kate1987

it is helpful*

kate1987

it was very helpful*

my grammar sux tonight! lol Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 23 Jan 2009 alyssa! said

alyssa!

by looking through haven’t seen any australian cancellations.
    anyone know of any?

• 23 Jan 2009 Laura Morris said

Laura Morris

Can someone please tell me how to check if a tour has been cancelled

• 23 Jan 2009 Pervy said

Pervy

Hey Contiki Love, contiki make of point of saying to get travel insurance for these sort of reasons. It’s in the brochures and everything.

• 23 Jan 2009 cdm115 said

cdm115

Contiki strongly recommends Travel Insurance, for many reasons, this is one of them. If you’re spending 2,3,4,000++ dollars on a trip and it’s the trip of a lifetime then it’s foolish not to get travel insurance. You’re protecting an investment.

Also, they do not guarantee departures until I believe 45 days prior, though I have found that they often cancel tours far in advance of that. If you’re concerned about fees if you have to change a flight due to canceled tours then it’s worth considering booking the flights with Contiki. Although they are usually more expensive Contiki will change the flights when you choose a new tour.

Having said that I know it sucks when Contiki cancels a tour – I’ve had 3 tours cancelled – 1 after booking, 2 when I was still in the planning stages (both of these tours were during the winter).

As for finding out if your tour was canceled, your travel agent should contact you. You can also check the status of your tour on the dates and rates section of your tour on the website. I’m not sure how up to date it is though.

• 24 Jan 2009 Explorer1106670 said

Default_avatar

Tour Name: Cairns Sunshine Trail
    Tour Date: 11th APril
    Date it was cancellled: 20th Jan

I am so annoyed as I’ve been booked on this trip for months and have only just been told it’s been cancelled.
    I booked my flights to Oz to fit in exactly with the dates of this trip and the different start and end locations and now find my flights unchangable.
    So I can’t even go on another Contiki and I’ve had to get a refund. But they say they won’t pay me the interest that they’ve made on our £1,600 that they have had for the last 6 months. Why should they get the interest on our money?
    Looking by all of the trips that have been cancelled, they will have made a lot of money on the interest.

• 25 Jan 2009 SandraD said

Default_avatar

its ok contiki saying to get insurance but for me im living in the states but ive got a UK passport, therefore they will not allow me to have their insurance and so i have to get it from elsewhere.

does anyone know if many tours cancelled for the may period? if mine gets cancelled then i have no other alternative dates that i can travel.

Sandra

• 25 Jan 2009 Explorer1111110 said

Default_avatar

GS LA – NY 25th June

I love the way one Contiki moderator posted that “occasionally” tours are cancelled. I would say that looking at this board, it’s more than “occasionally”!

I’d booked flights around this tour, planning on spending a few days in LA and San Francisco before it left, and flying up to Montreal where my mum lives at the end. I booked my flights months in advance to get a good deal, and they were non-refundable. Most of the people who book Contiki tours are looking for good value travel and therefore would be looking at cheaper flights too.

It’s ok saying “buy travel insurance”. I have travel insurance, but it does not cover trips that start from outside the UK where I’m based. It also does not cover cancellations before the trip starts or cancellations due to anything other than illness/accident etc.

I have been moved to the next tour, but it has completely screwed up my flights, and has given me less time to spend afterwards. It’s also meant me booking more hotels and internal flights. I looked at other tour companies but they didn’t have any suitable dates so I’m stuck making the most of it. It seems a little strange to cancel a trip so early when the two tours either side of this date were full.

Having said all this, I did the Ultimate European back in 2004 and loved it. I’m hoping the GS will be just as good, and despite having to spend a small fortune before the tour departs now, I’m trying to think positively that I’m seeing a bit more of the States!

• 25 Jan 2009 berlinchair said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by Explorer1111110:
    GS LA – NY 25th June
    I love the way one Contiki moderator posted that “occasionally” tours are cancelled. I would say that looking at this board, it’s more than “occasionally”!

Looking at the huge variety of dates that contiki offers, I’d say the number of cancellations is actually quite small. Most seem to be in the low season as well.

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.