Community_discussions_small  

Question

Cancelled tour? List it here ...

31 Jan 2007 ptooma asked

Default_avatar

If your tour was cancelled list it here ...
Indicate tour name and date, and date when you found out it was cancelled. Hopefully this may serve as a reference as to when tours are more frequently cancelled - or less popular. That said, you NEED to get insurance!!

Tour Name:
Tour Date:
Date it was cancellled:

• 25 Jan 2009 cdm115 said

cdm115

I stated “occasionally” because I have no idea how many tours actually get canceled. But based on the number of tours they offer and the number of each tour offered, I think it’s actually probably a pretty low percentage.

Here’s a recommendation for travel insurance if your trip is not from home to trip to home it often isn’t covered or isn’t fully covered. This is a company that does cover segments of trips. Not sure how it will work with the UK passport thing. I haven’t used this company myself but have heard some good things. http://www.worldnomads.com/index.aspx?affiliate=itvpod&…c28f691f021a5f36c5_1

As for getting a good deal on your airfare. I’ve never booked airfare before my tour was guaranteed, because I’m afraid of losing the the airfare. There are only two ways to protect your airfare. Not book it until you know your tour is guaranteed or to book through contiki. You can also get a ticket that will allow changes. A good deal is only a good deal if you’re able to take the flight. I know it’s hard to sit on flight prices watching them go up and down and wait till your tour is guaranteed, but that also gives you a lot of information about what is a good price and you’ll know when to jump on it and when to pass up a price.

• 25 Jan 2009 Kimmibub said

Kimmibub

Tour Name: Grand Southern
    Tour Date: June 11- July 6
    Date it was cancellled: 12 January (firstly found out through Contiki forum).

A lil annoyed, but hey- I knew of the risk, seeing as it wasn’t a guaranteed departure date. But it did stuff up my other plans. Instead of being able to do four tours, I can now only do two because the other ones don’t fit in the way that they did before the cancellation Frowner<!--graemlin::(--> Oh well… only 4 months to go!!! YAY!!!!!

• 26 Jan 2009 toddt85 said

Default_avatar

Is there anyone on here who’d be able to tell me how often the Grand Southern (LA-NY) and Grand Northern Tours get cancelled? I’m looking at doing both back-to-back in April/May 2010. Having a look at the 08/09 Contiki Brochure, I think i’d most likely do the first GS of the year, which is in april – that currently says its preferred departure so I guess it’s pretty likely to go ahead. Likewise I would like to do the corresponding GN which starts a few days after the GS ends.
    I know that trip cancellations are just something we have to deal with, but i’d still like to know if there are particular times of the year when the tours are more likely to be cancelled than others, and as a whole how regularly these US tours get cancelled. Thanks in advance. Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 26 Jan 2009 Explorer1111110 said

Default_avatar

Thanks for the suggestion of the travel insurance site cdm115. However, when I checked, the cancellation only applies for the following:
    injury, serious illness, death of you, any person you are intending to travel or stay with, or of an immediate relative or close business associate of yours;
    you being called for jury service, attending court as a witness, or redundancy;
    your home or place of business being made uninhabitable

so it’s still not covered!

As for waiting to book flights – to get the same flight now to San Fran that I got back in October would have cost me an extra £500. That’s a lot of money. Contiki must realise that the majority of their customers book flights in advance to save money and there is no advice given in regards to this. Also, whilst I realise that there has to be a cut off point for Contiki to make the decision not to run a trip, it seems a little strange to cancel a trip so early when the two tours either side of it are full.

• 26 Jan 2009 ptooma said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    … I realise that there has to be a cut off point for Contiki to make the decision not to run a trip, it seems a little strange to cancel a trip so early when the two tours either side of it are full.

A tour with insufficient participant numbers is not the only reason for a trip to be canceled, there are also logistical reasons such as a personnel & hotel inavailability.

Also, if you shop around, there are comprehensive travel insurance policies that will cover trip cancellation due to operator cancellation, medical, etc …

- Vic

• 26 Jan 2009 cdm115 said

cdm115
    quote:
    As for waiting to book flights – to get the same flight now to San Fran that I got back in October would have cost me an extra £500. That’s a lot of money. Contiki must realise that the majority of their customers book flights in advance to save money and there is no advice given in regards to this.

500 is a lot of money, but being as it is still 5 months away you will find that the ticket prices will probably go down quite a bit in the next month or two. I just booked a flight to Hawaii 3 and a half months prior to the trip. My flight price went down from over $1000 to $600 in the past 2 weeks. Generally, you’ll find prices at their lowest in the 2-4 month period. The particular flight I booked went down $113 overnight. That’s why i suggest watching the price of flights until your trip is, check out some of the websites like…
    http://flighttracker.com/
    http://www.farecompare.com/
    http://farecast.live.com/?
    These will help find low fares.

As for canceling a trip too early, as ptooma said there are a lot of different factors that will go into deciding which tours will go, and which will not. Most people would be glad that they made these decisions so far in advance so that alternative plans can be made.

• 27 Jan 2009 alyssa! said

alyssa!

i’ve been watching a flight that i think i’m going to buy- and in 1 day it went from 1900 to 2200 then back down to 2150, now its sitting around 2175, 5 days later.

• 27 Jan 2009 ptooma said

Default_avatar

Don’t wait too long to book a flight … I waited from 11 wks out and booked 7 wks prior to my tour and my flight from Florida to NZ went from $1700 to $2700. Eeker<!--graemlin::eek:--> ouch Eeker<!--graemlin::eek:-->

- Vic

• 28 Jan 2009 Kristy said

Kristy

Tour Name: New York Explorer
    Tour Date: July 7-10th
    Date Cancelled: 27th Jan

I was abit annoyed at first but im still going to travel New York by self as I have heard its a pretty easy city to get around with lots to explore!

• 30 Jan 2009 jess said

Default_avatar

New York Explorer 7-10 July.

Does anyone know of any tours of NY similar to Contiki? Im travelling solo & its going to be very pricey for accommodation if I can’t find a tour. I’ll be in NY for 5 days.

• 31 Jan 2009 Kat said

Default_avatar

I haven’t seen any European Horizon tours cancelled, does anyone know of one being cancelled in the past?
    Thanks!

• 12 Feb 2009 Natty VS said

Default_avatar

I’m also curious about the european horizon tour, because I’m scheduled to go on May 11th… I really hope it doesn’t get cancelled.

• 12 Feb 2009 cdm115 said

cdm115

Looks like the May 8th Euro Horizon tour got cancelled, that should bode well for May 11.

Looks like none of the June dates were cancelled as of yet.

• 12 Feb 2009 sara_k said

Default_avatar

if a tour has been canceleed would it be removed completely as an option or would it say full so noone clicks on it??? i’m praying that the grand southern aug 6th 09 is full!!! can someone let me know. i rang up contiki and their site was saying it’s still available but this website says its full!!!

i’m so confused!! poor me!!! haha…

• 12 Feb 2009 Erica said

Default_avatar

how exactly will contiki notify us if our tour is cancelled and how much notice do they normally give???? i know its been said that out travel agent should notify us but what if u havent gone through a travel agent and instead booked directly with contiki?

• 12 Feb 2009 Pervy said

Pervy

Hey Sara, if it’s been canceled it will be removed completely. Thats what happened to one of the girls who joined the Grand Southern i’m doing. The tour date she was doing was removed.

• 12 Feb 2009 sara_k said

Default_avatar

oh thank you soooo much pervy!!!!!!!!! mine actually says full so yay for me!!!! i was soooo worried but u definetly put my mind at ease!!!

• 13 Feb 2009 cdm115 said

cdm115

When I noticed that the May 8 Euro Horizon tour was canceled, it was because it was removed from the site. If a tour is showing full but contiki says their is space on it, then maybe it’s just 1 or 2 spots or someones info is slightly off.

If your tour is cancelled then Contiki will contact you through your travel agent. If you booked through them then they should be contacting you directly. As for notice, it seems to usually be anywhere between 2 and 4 months.

• 19 Feb 2009 Rosie said

Rosie

Not sure if this one has already been listed, but my European Contrasts tour departing 7th May got cancelled Frowner<!--graemlin::(-->
    Have now changed my departing date to May 11th – let’s hope this one goes ahead!

• 20 Feb 2009 Clare said

Clare

Does the Ultimate European tour ever get cancelled?

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion