Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Royal National Hotel

3 Oct 2007 Talia said

Default_avatar
Hey Everyone

I'm staying at the Royal National for about 5 days after my trip (Euro Inspiration leaving 23rd Dec), Just wondering what anyone who has stayed there thought of it?
Do you share with a stranger? (I'm sweet with that just want to know before I crash in a wake them up!)

Also is the Contiki basement close? I've heard you can book day trips from there out of London..what destinations/prices are these?

Any help is apperciated

thanks!
  • 3 Oct 2007 Lynette said

Default_avatar

Hey Talia

I did the same thing as you did spent 5 extra days at the Royal national after my trip this year. The hotel is good value for money i thought, also its in a good location near the underground which is on the picadilly line to get you to the main tourist places and the contiki basement is located at the royal national off the side so you won’t have any promblems getting lost. And i’m not sure about the sharing of the rooms cos i went with my best friend, so you mite have to ask your travel agent about it.

hope you have fun on your trip

• 4 Oct 2007 ashleightara said

ashleightara

If you elect to go into a twin or triple share room (and didn’t book with anyone) yes you will be sharing with a stranger.

It is also possible that there will be only 1 key to the room, which normally gets left at the desk if no one is in the room…so if you arrive late at night its almost definite you will have to wake them up Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

The Contiki Basement is literally in the Basement of the hotel. Hours are 8am-9pm (Summer – April to Sept) and 11am-7pm (Winter – Oct to March). You don’t need to check in via the Basement if you have already booked your stay though.

Sorry, no idea about the prices. Apparently many have discounts. If you know what you want to do, check internet prices before you go so you can compare.

• 10 Oct 2007 nin17 said

Default_avatar

Hey,
    Personally I thought the Royal National was pretty crappy!! Its as basic as basic gets (basically!!)
    The night before our tour we stayed there (had booked through contiki) in a very average room in an area of the hotel obviously set aside for Contiki. We then booked another night for the day our tour ended (not through contiki, just through the hotel reception) and we given a much nicer room in a better area of the hotel. Obviously it was easier for us as we were travelling as a couple and we could just book a double room but its something to think about.

• 10 Oct 2007 ashleightara said

ashleightara

If you book the Royal National through Contiki the room rate is cheaper (I paid $89AUD [around 36pounds] for a twin share room in winter, I think its $69 for triple share [29 pounds]. Then $10 more for each in summer [41 and 32 pounds]). According to the RNs website (http://www.imperialhotels.co.uk/royalnational1_hotel.aspx) rooms start from 68 pound a night for a single, 87 for twin (43.5 each) and 105 for triple (35 each). So assuming the ‘starting from’ value is their winter room rates, you save around 7 pounds each booking a twin share through contiki. Though if you think 7 pounds is worth a slightly better room, then I guess you could book through the RN. In AUD, thats around $20 a night in savings….

• 12 Oct 2007 scuba_Nikki said

Default_avatar

I stayed at the Royal National for 3 additional nights after my Europe tour in September.

the first two nights I opted to take Contiki’s “check out London” package. I chose the double room and was matched with a roommate. The third night was booked through Contiki but since it wasn’t part of a Contiki package I didn’t have the option of booking a roommate. The room I was given was still a double but I paid full price for it.

To be honest, I’m glad I was on my own for the very last night because I was sick from the “Contiki cough” and hadn’t had much time to myself in 14 days. I loved having a roommate on my tour and loved hanging out with new people but by the end I was grateful for a really good night sleep.

I agree that the Royal National isn’t exactly luxurious compared to the hotels we’re used to here, but when you consider the price we are paying, I think it was good value for the money.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion