Community_discussions_small  

Comment

weather in UK in may....

8 Feb 2010 AussieBeksta said

Default_avatar
doing a great britain and southern ireland tour on may 7th. does anyone know what the weather would be like so i can pack accordingly??? ill be coming from australia where its like 40degrees celcius so have no idea. any help would be greatly appreciated!!
  • 8 Feb 2010 AlnJon said

Default_avatar

I am going to the UK in May also. England etc is pretty cool in May I would say about 19 degrees average – maybe a little bit warmer. I would pack for Melbourne early spring temps. I was in England in July and I was still in my winter stuff most of the time so I think jeans and jumpers are a good idea

• 8 Feb 2010 Niksta said

Niksta

Hey Beksta,
    I did the UK in May last year and can honestly say it is not too bad.
    It’s probably between 15-21 depending on where you are. It was cooler in Ireland than London (but placed like Stonehenge are freakin’ cold!).
    It’s pretty much just jeans and jumper weather, with maybe a long sleeve t for the colder days.
    Make sure you take a waterproof jacket/coat because I will guarentee it will rain! Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 8 Feb 2010 Vic said

Default_avatar

I did this tour last year but I would take lots of layers so then you can just add if it gets really cold as Scotland can be freezing.

• 9 Feb 2010 AussieBeksta said

Default_avatar

excellent! thanks guys!!

• 10 Feb 2010 AussieBeksta said

Default_avatar

5degrees is a little different to 19…. now what do i do??

• 17 Feb 2010 AussieBeksta said

Default_avatar

anyone else… do i still do the light layer thing or pack like im going to antarctica?

• 18 Feb 2010 Danki said

Danki

im going in june and im from broome so im packing like im going to antarctica!!!! im planning on jeans, boots, jumper and a jacket just in case… cant wait!!!

• 18 Feb 2010 Minxy said

Default_avatar

I don’t know where in Australia you are from, but I have been told by many Brits that the weather is very varied.
    London can be very hot, but the rest of England is kinda like Ballarat in Victoria. (if you know what the weather here is like). Not hot hot, and can get quite cold. Stone Henge can be icy.
    The further north you get it gets cooler, but (from what I’m told) it shouldn’t be too cold.

I agree with Niksta about it being jeans and t-shirt with warm layers. At least with layers you can be more comfortable. I would also suggest merino wool thermals, hygienic and warm.

Hope this helps.

• 18 Feb 2010 AlnJon said

Default_avatar

SNOW??? Ok I haven’t taken snow into consideration with my list of packing. I am away for 6 weeks and only 4 of those days will be spent in England/London. The rest I will be in Italy/Greece/Thailand where it will be warm. So don’t want to take up all my luggage space with huge jackets.

• 20 Feb 2010 cdm115 said

cdm115

I started a tour on May 8 a couple years ago. It was pretty chilly then, but it was a bit below normal too. Around 16-18 Celsius as a high for the day.

• 20 Feb 2010 MissTraveler77 said

MissTraveler77

I am going to be going on the London & Paris Plus Amsterdam on May 7th. The weather in May is an ongoing question for me, not only for London but also for Paris and Amsterdam. I heard the weather is about 19 degrees which is excellent in my opinion for May, however raining most of the time. I am constantly thinking what to pack with me since I am coming from Toronto, Canada and the weather there is constantly different. I mean we had complete winter in the middle of APRIL one year so you never know what to expect from Canada during May Smiler<!--graemlin::)--> Any input?

• 21 Feb 2010 AussieBeksta said

Default_avatar

thanks heaps for all your input people. cdm, 16-18 i can do. thats warm enough for me. keep posting as we get closer to may cos i still have shopping to do if i need to buy something unaccounted for.

• 21 Feb 2010 CharlesF-M said

CharlesF-M
    quote:
    Originally posted by MissTraveler77:
    I am going to be going on the London & Paris Plus Amsterdam on May 7th. The weather in May is an ongoing question for me, not only for London but also for Paris and Amsterdam. I heard the weather is about 19 degrees which is excellent in my opinion for May, however raining most of the time. I am constantly thinking what to pack with me since I am coming from Toronto, Canada and the weather there is constantly different. I mean we had complete winter in the middle of APRIL one year so you never know what to expect from Canada during May Smiler<!--graemlin::)--> Any input?

I would think a windbreaker and a hoodie would be good if you are used to our Canadian weather. Temperature seems so relative when comparing based on those used to 40C and those used to -25C

• 22 Feb 2010 MissTraveler77 said

MissTraveler77

Very true Charles, I think clothing is the most important when it comes to traveling because if you dont have the right clothing for a specific type of weather you are not going to enjoy your time as much as if you had the right clothing. Smiler<!--graemlin::)--> I hope May should be very nice during that time, my friend told me its about 17C in Paris and about the same in Amsterdam in May Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 23 Feb 2010 AussieBeksta said

Default_avatar

need to know more about scotland and ireland in may if possible… i think i have london sorted. keep posting as may gets closer… Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->

• 23 Feb 2010 AussieBeksta said

Default_avatar

damn… thats cold!! wasnt expecting that at all! thanks. so i pack for below freezing or will it be warmer in may?

• 24 Feb 2010 AussieBeksta said

Default_avatar

thats still colder than i thought… thanks for doin the research. if i was smarter i probably would have thought of doin it myself Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->

• 1 Mar 2010 parker said

parker

I’m going on this same trip and I was planning on bringing mostly jeans and T-shirts with a few heavier hoodies and sweaters for the colder/windier days. Also a rain jacket just in case but nothing much bigger than that.

• 2 Mar 2010 AussieBeksta said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by parker:
    I’m going on this same trip and I was planning on bringing mostly jeans and T-shirts with a few heavier hoodies and sweaters for the colder/windier days. Also a rain jacket just in case but nothing much bigger than that.

your going on the may 7th britain and ireland tour???

• 2 Mar 2010 parker said

parker
    quote:
    Originally posted by AussieBeksta:
    quote:
    Originally posted by parker:

your going on the may 7th britain and ireland tour???

Sure am. Leaving May 5th, staying until the 23rd. Planning on doing a lot of the optional excursions too.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.