Community_discussions_small  

Comment

July- What to bring

23 Apr 2008 JessCairns said

Default_avatar
Hi, My partner and I will be doing European Discovery in July. Just wondering how hot or cold it will be? Should I bring a winter coat? We are from tropical North Queensland where it is quite hot so we are not used to cold whether. Any advice would be much appreciated...
  • 24 Apr 2008 Rozzy said

Rozzy

Im doing the Europe 32 day camping trip in June, I was only going to take one Jacket and one Jumper and a hoodie do u think this will cover the cold times if we get any.
    Also whats the deal with thongs are they acceptable everywhere in Europe cause Im a massive thong/flip flop lover the ones that go on ya feet haha

• 26 Apr 2008 JessCairns said

Default_avatar

Thanks for the advice. We are starting our tour on the 15th. Also has anyone stayed at Piccadilly Backpackers? We will be in London for a week or so before before our tour and cant decide where to stay. Is shoreditch far from all the action? Thanks

• 26 Apr 2008 *nikki_adelaide* said

Default_avatar

i went in june/july last yr
    it is hot. take 1 jumper/jacket for the plane/bus/nights that may end up with a bit of a chill…but most of the time you wont need it.

i wore thongs alot of the time, dont wear them out tho, its not worth the risk.

• 27 Apr 2008 cat16 said

Default_avatar

Hey,
    I was just wondering what everyone clasifies as hot? Because I know everyone has different opinions on that.
    I will be there in June, so what would the average temperature be in Italy and Spain, and also in places like Paris and Germany?
    Thanks

• 28 Apr 2008 tried&true said

Default_avatar

just wondering what this means?

quote:
    i wore thongs alot of the time, dont wear them out tho, its not worth the risk.

• 28 Apr 2008 Maru said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    I was just wondering what everyone clasifies as hot? Because I know everyone has different opinions on that.
    I will be th

I think they’re talking about thongs = flipflops, some of those break easily when you walk on them too much.

• 28 Apr 2008 tried&true said

Default_avatar

ya, i was just wondering what they meant by risk? Confused<!--graemlin::confused:-->

• 28 Apr 2008 Nickerz said

Nickerz

Hi Smiler<!--graemlin::)--> i did the Euro Discovery in July 07 & it was hot!! I pretty much wore shorts/shirt or singlet everyday with thongs as its too hot for closed in shoes during the day when walking around! Rome is very humid & hot so a cotton dress did the trick! just remember you’ll need to cover your shoulders & to your knees for some churches so take a shall or something with you on those days – ur tour manager will tell you anyway! Your going to have a great time!
    Cheers Nichole

• 28 Apr 2008 work2travel said

work2travel
    quote:
    Originally posted by leppardz:
    ya, i was just wondering what they meant by risk? Confused<!--graemlin::confused:-->

I’m guessing that maybe the risk of not being let in wearing flip flops, or also maybe getting injured… I had 2 of my toes broken when a guy dropped a full bottle of beer on my foot during Calgary Stampede one year. Who knew open-toed sandals could be so hazardous to your health?!
    Wink<!--graemlin:;)-->

• 28 Apr 2008 JessCairns said

Default_avatar

Hey thanks everyone for the tips. Especially the
    one about the shawl. So is it worth it to bring sneakers or are they a waste of space? We live in thongs at home but other people have said we will need sneakers. Any other info would be great!!

• 29 Apr 2008 Rozzy said

Rozzy

Hey Guys and Gals thanks heaps for the tips on the thongs/flip flops on ya feet.
    Ill take some enclosed shoes now for safety at night and for long and extended periods of walking.

• 1 May 2008 Nickerz said

Nickerz

A few days in Amsterdam (when it rained & was a bit cold) i wore sneakers but otherwise it was thongs every day! it was too hot for anything else. At night however i had dressier thongs (with a bit of sparkle!!) and heels, plus a paid of high cork shoes to wear with jeans etc. If your going to Venice at the church, you need to check your bag in at the side (not the front entrance), we thought they just dismissed us getting in but were actually trying to re-direct us to check in our bags (just a hint i just remembered!!) Any other questions ask away!! Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 6 May 2008 JessCairns said

Default_avatar

Hey Nickerz thanks for the tips. If I have any other questions I will be in touch. Also if you can think of any other random info I would really appreciate it!

• 8 May 2008 Nickerz said

Nickerz

hi Smiler<!--graemlin::)--> some random info!!
    - i would take a small container of washing powder if i went again! we used soap the few times ur at a stop long enough for ur clothes to dry!!
    - get ur tour manager to buy ur entry tickets where they can, you’ll not have to line up as long & will have more time!
    - avoid giving money to gypsies, they’ll keep hounding & more will come over (we ignored them otherwise they dont leave you alone)
    - go to the eiffel tower first thing in the morning, there is no line up! the perfume tour is fun too (optional extra!)
    - dont over-pack! i did & ended up posting clothes home to make room for the things i bought over there, plus you have to carry ur suitcase up lots of stairs at some hotels!!
    thats pretty much my random thoughts! I wish i was going again, i loved it!

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.