Community_discussions_small  

Question

Stuff to do in London?

21 May 2007 Tara5 asked

Default_avatar
Hey Everyone - I'm doing European Discovery June 1

My flight is arriving in London on a Saturday Morning (8:30am). I'll have a full day to explore before meeting my contiki group at 6pm that night. I'm thinking the "Hop On Hop Off Bus" is the best way to get around and see the sights - and I really want to do the London Eye.

Two questions:

1) My Contiki brochure says that when I arrive, the basement sells tickets for these and other attractions at a discounted price - do they accept a credit card for these?

2) In doing my research, I found that there are days that the eye can "sell out" so I was going to purchase my ticket on line in advance, however I then ran into the problem that I have to choose a specific time to ride and check in and pick up my advanced-purchased ticket 30 minutes before. This would really make me plan everything else in my day around this one attraction - therefore is it worth it? and should I buy in advance? I'm guessing a 1pm time would be a good time?

any advice from anyone would be great.
  • 21 May 2007 michAel-89 said

Default_avatar

heeh

ill be arriving at 7 am in london, yay!

i used to be much more hyper about it, day dreaming what i would be doing during this whole day… yet, then i just realized all the jetlag i would be under and how huge an ammount of sleeping i might be in need of.

so yeah. ill prolly check out the british museum and go see the big ben – just so i can see ive been there.

anyways, im not fancying the london eye. 30 minutes (just the ride) completely wasted on something you can easily do going up a tall building.

heh.

color me boring.

i know my post wasnt THAT helpful… ^^ but hey! gotta have a wide perspective, aint it?

its a 7 hours difference between london and where i live at, so, yes, thats basically my biggest argument.

• 21 May 2007 CAKiwi said

Default_avatar

Hi there! Just to throw in my two cents… I would skip the London Eye. I’ve been to London several times (yea!) and never been on it. From what I know it’s overpriced and the weather in London is so unpredictable you might just get a lovely view of London Fog.

The Hop On Hop Off Bus option can be good when you don’t have a lot of time and want to see a lot. It can be quite expensive, depending on how much time you’re putting into it. I would recommend, depending on time, doing one loop just sitting on the bus to get the full look, you can always hop on and off the second time round knowing exactly where you want to go. Sitting on the bus might be a good option for jet lag too. I personally love the Tower of London (the Beefeaters are FABULOUS!) and Westminister Abbey.

I don’t know if this helps at all, but best of luck, enjoy your time in London and your tour!

• 22 May 2007 Tara5 said

Default_avatar

Thanks a lot for your comments – I have actually been told that by a couple of different people that the eye isn’t all that eventful – so maybe I will just hop on – ride the bus and figure it out when I get there.

thanks – any other advice would be great.

tara

• 22 May 2007 Lauren said

Default_avatar

Hey, I live in London and have been on the London Eye. It’s a complete waste of time and money. £13.00, 2-3 hour lineups and for the most part you see Big Ben and The Houses of Parliament.

The Bus tours are awesome, The Big Bus Company was the best (in my opinion) and the ticket is valid for 24 hourse, so if you don’t finish everything on the first day, you can continue the following day.

Hope this helps.

• 22 May 2007 Rachelh said

Default_avatar

Hi,

Besides all the usual highlights you can go the the London Dungeon (near london bridge station). To be honest I’ve never been there but there are massive queus all the time so it must be great. Because of the long queues i would get tickets in advance….
    Also Camden Market is great to visit. (Near Camden town station) A very relaxing atmospere and lots and lots of stands you can buy cool stuff.

Have fun!!!

• 22 May 2007 PinaI said

PinaI
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rachelh:
    Besides all the usual highlights you can go the the London Dungeon (near london bridge station). To be honest I’ve never been there but there are massive queus all the time so it must be great. Because of the long queues i would get tickets in advance….

Hmmm, nah – it’s not really! I’ve been and again, overrated! It’s just a bunch of bloodied mannequins and people poking and proding you to scare the sh*t out of you! Not my idea of fun that’s for sure. Save the money.

Camden is good but REALLY busy, especially on Saturday and a bit freaky after about noon too, it’s like the weirdo’s just ‘come out’!

I would do the bus, best way to see all the sites in a short amount of time, for sure.

• 23 May 2007 *kStar* said

Default_avatar

Im interested in checking out the markets in London, I have got Camden Market on my list, has anyone got any other markets to recommend visiting and the opening hours? I will be in London in August Fri-Sun before my tour starts on the Monday. What else is highly recommended to see??

• 23 May 2007 moni said

Default_avatar

hi!

i’ve been doing some research on www.visitlondon.com
    and i found a lot of info on popular street markets, you can find specifics under “shopping”, but here are a few:
    Brick Lane Market
    Chapel Market
    Petticoat Lane
    Ridley Road Market
    Southall Market
    Walthamstow Market

hope this helps Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 23 May 2007 Rachelh said

Default_avatar

A few other markets:

Portobello road
    Greenwich market

I think Camden is the best.

• 23 May 2007 Bree 24aus said

Default_avatar

hey,

i’m arriving 6am the day before my tour. though also have 5 days after.

an english lady at work said covent garden on a sunday has really good markets, street performers etc.

i was reading, i think it’s ‘DC Eyewitness’ or something, london book. really good. i borrowed it from the library but will prob buy one. everything you need is in there, maps, tube, history, shopping, markets, walks, everything (I think). lonely planet kinda boring i thought, no pictures!
    though it sounds like you’ve done your research anyway.

i’d been told london eye was good? though prob just wait and see til the day, if it’s a nice day and if you’ve got time.

i know i’m more interested in seeing london as a whole, the city. not realy museums, art galleries, parliament buildings.
    though would see the main stuff – west minster abbey, thames, buckingham etc.

yay 3 weeks to go!!

• 23 May 2007 Annaliesa said

Default_avatar

The bus is really great. I actually fell asleep on it, so my advice would be that if you’re flying over to get some sleep on the flight! (But I’m not negating the bus’ greatness!) It’s definitely the best thing so you aren’t worrying about how to get to each place on your own. Since you only have a finite amount of time before you meet and it’ll take you to all the top places to see. I think that can keep you pretty busy for the entire day, especially on a Saturday when they’ll be queues for things anyway. Queues for London Eye and London Dungeon are really, really long.

I’m not sure about credit cards, I’m sure I had exchanged some money into pounds at the airport, but I bet you can e-mail Contiki directly.

Enjoy!

• 23 May 2007 Tara5 said

Default_avatar

That’s Great – thanks to everyone for your advice. I wish you all were on my trip! Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

I just want to get the most of the the short time I’m there – long line ups is not my idea of making the most of my time. I’ll get on the bus and see where it takes me! Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

tara

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion