Community_discussions_small  

Question

Best mobile phone options for Spain?

15 Apr 2008 Explorer1092717 asked

Default_avatar
So I am going to Spain (like the rest of you), but want to stay in contact with friends/family back home and other people on the trip.

I am from the US and am not familiar with European phone companies. I heard of using my regular cell and getting a SIM card that could work in Spain. I guess its also better than getting a bunch of phone cards.

Anyone familiar with any good companies with service in Spain? Thanks in advance.
  • 15 Apr 2008 amer said

amer

Check out http://www.telestial.com/

You can buy a SIM card preloaded with minutes for your specific country before u get to Spain. Reload minutes automatically via the web or automatically on the phone..

• 15 Apr 2008 brunette05 said

brunette05

I just traveled to Portugal and Spain this past February. I would DEFINITELY recommend bringing a SIM card that works with your cell phone (I’m from the US as well). I brought a calling card at the Madrid airport as soon as I landed and I found that the calling card didn’t work in some places. I had difficulty in numerous places such as public telephones on the street (who even had spots for calling cards but still didn’t work) to a couple different hotels that did not allow using calling cards from the room or the hotel lobby. Hope this helps.

• 3 May 2008 Meg:) said

Default_avatar

Any suggestions on staying in contact with home for South Africans travelling to Spain??

• 3 May 2008 Julie said

Default_avatar

So if I’m from the US, I’ll have more sucess with my own phone (making sure it will work internationally) and buying an appropriate sim card? Are there companies that I can just RENT a cell phone from when I get to the airport? I did this in another country I travelled to and it worked out really well. It wasn’t cheap but it was easy, perfect in case of emergencies and great for quick calls to tell my family I was doing well. Having a phone is really important to me and I just wanted to make sure I can make this happen. Any suggestions would be helpful.
    Thank you,
    Julie

• 10 Jun 2011 Explorer1258674 said

Explorer1258674

Yes, you can rent a phone, but you have the added hassle of sending it back which is usually the last thing you think about when you’re coming back from vacation.I know the first thing I do is hit the sofa with a cup of tea. I used a company called mobal, http://www.mobal.com for my trip to Portugal last month. It worked great considering Portugal aren’t renowned for their GSM networks. I think it works by locking onto any old network and I get charged to my credit card. They’re only something like $29 for the basic handset, which was fine for me.

• 22 Jun 2011 Vickster said

Default_avatar

I used to live in Spain and their own network, Telefonica, were great. They were pretty cheap phoning home as well (home is the UK though, European calls may obviously be cheaper than rest of world). If you’re travelling through Europe however, you can get a Vodafone SIM card, UK based company, yet they cover all of Europe cheaply and effectively (and no, I don’t work for them, have just travelled round Europe extensively and found them to be the best!)

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.