Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Adapters

5 Jun 2008 jess said

jess
I've read the article on adapters, but I'm still a lil confused...

I need my hairdryer! And I'll have to plug in stuff like ipod/camera battery etc to charge...So, what are my options???

I live in Canada, so this would mean that I need to get a voltage converter, plus an adaptor for Britain and one for Paris/Rome??!

Where is the best place to pick up an adaptor and should I buy multiplies of the same???
  • 5 Jun 2008 JeffersonNYSE said

JeffersonNYSE

You will need plug adapters, I got mine from Staples, it had all the diff types of plugs in one little thingy…best way to go. I forget what brand it is, but it looks like a tennis ball sized black cylinder.

As for the voltage converter, just check the electronics you’re bringing. Just look on the back of your battery charger and your ipod plug in and if it says “input:110v-240v” you don’t need a converter. The same goes for hairdryers, but like Jeremy said it more likely you’ll need a converter for the hairdryer and/or straightener.

• 5 Jun 2008 Nikki D.Ca said

Nikki D.Ca

this might be dumb, but…… my hair straighterner doesn’t give the voltage. I bought both a converter and adaptor. If I use the converter on something that doesn’t need it, will that damage my stuff? or does it not matter

• 5 Jun 2008 Ashton said

Default_avatar

If your straightener doesnt have the voltage printed on it…you may want to consider buying a new one. Ive been with friends and witnessed their straighteners literally melting away (wrong voltage) even with a converter.

I always use a converter when charging a camera etc. just to be safe. it doesnt ruin it.

• 5 Jun 2008 JeffersonNYSE said

JeffersonNYSE

Ashton is right, I’ve had friends fry their hairdryers and straighteners even when using a converter. I’ve heard some converters are just crap in terms of quality, but I’ve also heard some converters don’t like being used with things with heating elements in them. If your straightener doesn’t have voltage printed on it, assume it’s 120v and use a converter.

• 5 Jun 2008 Jess-ade said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by Nikki…california:
    this might be dumb, but…… my hair straighterner doesn’t give the voltage. I bought both a converter and adaptor. If I use the converter on something that doesn’t need it, will that damage my stuff? or does it not matter

Perhaps, instead of buying a new straightener immediately, you could go to the manufacturers website and look up the model it has. It may have the info that you need. I know they can be expensive!

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.