Community_discussions_small  

Comment

JANUARY 3 , 2009 - Egypt and the Nile

15 May 2008 EmmDownunder said

EmmDownunder
Gday, anyone booked on this trip?
I hope it does not get cancelled as I have already had one cancellation on my current Eastern Road August 9th tour!
  • 16 May 2008 Cnee said

Default_avatar

I am actually considering this trip. I have not yet decided. Are you going solo? Do you know how many people would Contiki need so that the tour doesn’t get canceled?

• 16 May 2008 maggiegw said

maggiegw

i spoke with contiki today and they told me that there is usually 25 ppl going, i book and my boy friend did as well. the travel agent said it was a guaranteed !!

• 16 May 2008 EmmDownunder said

EmmDownunder

Hi Cnee, yes I am travelling solo but have no issues with that. It should be awesome fun from what I have read from the reviews.
    Travelling from Sydney , Australia
    I am going to be in Cairo from the 2nd January (morning) and may do a overnight trip to Alexandria or may just hit the old part
    of Cairo.

If you have any questions email me at emm_martin@yahoo.com.au
    Emmanuel

• 27 May 2008 EmmDownunder said

EmmDownunder

Hey maggiegw, did your travel agent say that this tour was a guaranteed departure?

• 27 May 2008 maggiegw said

maggiegw

she did she it was guaranteed, but it also could have been a way to make sure that i booked, bc i would only book for guaranteed departure dates… plus she said that there was only a few spaces open.. so if its completely booked it has to go,.. right??

• 28 May 2008 EmmDownunder said

EmmDownunder

I took the plunge and I finally paid for this tour today! I hope it does not get cancelled as my August Eastern Escape tour got cancelled 2 weeks ago!
    So I guess I will be seeing you there!

• 2 Jun 2008 maggiegw said

maggiegw

sounds good.. so is there anyone esle that is going that you know of???

• 3 Jun 2008 EmmDownunder said

EmmDownunder

No, so far its you, me and your boyfriend!

• 3 Jun 2008 maggiegw said

maggiegw

i read some of the others ppls forums and journals and im not sure what to expect.. im am worried that ill over pack..and that my suitcase wont fit on the train
    so are you doing all of the options???

• 4 Jun 2008 EmmDownunder said

EmmDownunder

I am worried about what or how much to bring as well considering it is going to be Winter there when we go. Once I finish on this tour I am staying an extra night in Cairo and doing a 10 day tour of Israel so I will be packing light for Egypt.
    As for the optionals, I am going to do all of them and will budget accordingly. I think it will be worth it. What do you think?

• 4 Jun 2008 maggiegw said

maggiegw

i would have to agree about the options.. as for how much to money to bring a few of the other travelers replied that 100USD a day was too much.. i guess they were not big spenders lol.. my only question is about this camera fee that i have been reading about.. it is 10USD to bring a camera into each pyramid and museum and i do not know if it is included or not.. and i have not a clue as what to pack.. after reading about the weather it looks like it is going to get chilly at night but nothing too cold.

• 5 Jun 2008 EmmDownunder said

EmmDownunder

I am budgeting $150 Australian / day. Spoke to some people who visited Egypt and they recommended the amount. Not sure how the camera fees work but I was warned to carry a lot of spare change for “baksheesh” (tips) as some of the locals can be very insistent on it. I am sure you knew that. Waiting for other people on this tour to join in this conversation!

• 6 Jun 2008 maggiegw said

maggiegw

thats about 140 usd a day,,. im sure that will be enough.. i read some of the journals of ppl who was there recently and they said that the trip was well planned out and very busy, with little to no extra time to party.. i would like to be able to say that i went to a club of some sort in egypt..i think the music would be awesome to listen to …

• 7 Jun 2008 EmmDownunder said

EmmDownunder

Hey, funny you mention about the music. I have been obsessed by Egyptian/Algerian/Moroccan music for the last year. I am planning to bring a lot of arabic grooves on my ipod so I can play it while I am on the bus. It will suit the mood dont you think? As far as going to a club of some sort I think it is an awesome idea. I’ve heard that there some very classy clubs there were you, especially being female, would not get hit on a lot which seems to be part of the culture.

• 8 Jun 2008 Explorer1090002 said

Default_avatar

Hi all,

I’m going on this trip [3rd Jan] too.

Male, 26, from Australia [travelling from Melbourne] and going solo as well.

Hopefully we get a good group.

• 8 Jun 2008 maggiegw said

maggiegw

lol im not worried baout getting hit on.. i used to work at a a bar so i am used to that sorta crap from ppl.. but i think it would be a nice experience to see how other cultures party!!

maggiegw

explorer1090002 are you traveling solo or with friends?? and what is your name if you dont mind that i ask.. so far including you there is only four of us going that are on the forums

• 8 Jun 2008 Explorer1090002 said

Default_avatar

Maggiegw, my name is Jason and I am travelling solo. First Contiki trip.
    Will be travelling to Dubai for a few nights after the trip before returning home.

maggiegw

well jason so far its me my, boyfriend, and Emmanuel that have booked and are on the forum..
    i am from ohio, usa and and Eemanuel is from Sydney, Australia

• 9 Jun 2008 Explorer1090002 said

Default_avatar

Sounds good so far.

What are your ages may I ask? And what Airlines are you flying? I am going Emirates [to enable me a Dubai stopover].

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion