Community_discussions_small  

Comment

JANUARY 3 , 2009 - Egypt and the Nile

15 May 2008 EmmDownunder said

EmmDownunder
Gday, anyone booked on this trip?
I hope it does not get cancelled as I have already had one cancellation on my current Eastern Road August 9th tour!
  • 23 Dec 2008 Cricky said

Cricky
    quote:
    Originally posted by cdm115:
    Just wanted to answer a couple questions that were recently asked. There are internet cafes. The Oasis’s computer wasn’t working when I was there but i recall it being expensive. In Aswan there are some places near where the ship is docked, that will be the best opportunity to use the internet on the whole trip. Thinking back the rest of the time on my trip we were always so busy we didn’t have time or it wasn’t convenient.

As for credit cards, beckkarpoff mentioned using it for food. Most of your meals are included so you wont be eating all that much on your own and the rest of the meals will be arranged by the TM, if you choose to, and they run about $10 in cash to the TM (probably Sherif) or you’ll likely being eating at the Oasis as a group. For how little a meal costs, it’s not really worth it to pay with a credit card, unless you put them to your room and then pay with a credit card when you check-out. Also, pretty much any time you pay with a credit card you’re getting hit with some sort of fee there – either in the conversion or a % to cover what they lose out on from the credit card company. Egypt really is a cash economy, save the credit card for emergency or if you’re buying something in one of the nice shops where you might be spending a lot of money. You’ll probably still get hit with a fee, but that will cover you if you have a big purchase and not the cash for it.

Most people on my tour used egyptian pounds for most of the tour, in markets and stuff and in some places they will only accept pounds. Plus you’re not getting a discount for using the USD or the euro, so I recommend having both egytian pounds and USD on you.

Thanks for answering my question about the internet cafes. I use is mostly to check in w/family. What do you recommend is the best place to exchange money?

• 24 Dec 2008 cdm115 said

cdm115

Most of us used ATMs, but I would recommend having some cash or travelers cheques as a back-up. The ATMs in Egypt weren’t terribly reliable. The machine at the Oasis was pretty much out of money when everyone from my tour arrived. Across the street from the Oasis is a money exchange place. In the area of the egyptian museum there were a couple of ATMs from western banks (HSBC comes to mind). The hotel i’m thinking of is the Nile Hilton, but apparently coming Jan 1 it will no longer be a Hilton hotel, but I would think it would be some sort of western style hotel and would still have the ATM’s. It had clean bathrooms too. There are some other hotels in that area though.

• 25 Dec 2008 Explorer1090002 said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Hi everyone, I’m signed up for the 3rd of Jan trip. My name is Jason (or Jase) and I’m from Wellington, New Zealand. I’m really looking forward to this trip, should be a blast! Egypt has always been at the top of my ‘must go to places’ list.

Look forward to meeting all you soon… should be good times!!

Hehe! Another Jason!
    I’m Jason as well [wrote earlier in this thread, been a while since I’ve visited], and I’m from Geelong, Victoria, Australia.
    Gee its getting close – looking forward to meeting you all.
    BTW – would getting Egyptian Pounds upon arrival at Cairo airport using an ATM there be better than waiting to use the ATM’s at the hotel? So you have to tip the driver?

• 26 Dec 2008 maggiegw said

maggiegw

u should be able to switch currency at the airport with a good exchange rate

• 27 Dec 2008 Samiah said

Samiah

So…I still have not received any of my travel documents yet, does anybody have any idea as to what will happen if I don’t get them on time?? How do I check into the Hotel in Cairo if I don’t have my voucher?? How do I check onto the tour?? Anyone else having this problem??

• 27 Dec 2008 MarisaW said

Default_avatar

Samiah, are you going to call the Contiki office first thing Monday morning? Maybe they need to overnight deliver new documents to you.

I got my documents from my travel agent on the 17th. But even without them, I would assume that the airline, hotel, and tour all have record of your name even without the papers.

• 28 Dec 2008 Cricky said

Cricky

Samiah, don’t worry. I booked a London trip with a week to spare and I had them just email me the documents. You don’t have to worry about being delivered but you do miss out on the free bag they give you.

• 29 Dec 2008 Samiah said

Samiah

Thanks Cricky, I did just get them to email my documents to me. I do have a question though, do you have the one voucher for the hotel and tour combined?? I thought there would be separate ones. As for the bag, it’s ok, I have one from last time I did a contiki, it’s somewhere. Oh well!

• 30 Dec 2008 Cricky said

Cricky
    quote:
    Originally posted by Samiah:
    Thanks Cricky, I did just get them to email my documents to me. I do have a question though, do you have the one voucher for the hotel and tour combined?? I thought there would be separate ones. As for the bag, it’s ok, I have one from last time I did a contiki, it’s somewhere. Oh well!

My travel documents incl: tour travel voucher, extra services voucher (for airport transfers, hotel accomadation voucher, tour intinerary list, tour supp. voucher. And separate opt activities vouchers.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.