Community_discussions_small  

Question

China Adventure, May 16-27 -- who's in?

16 Jan 2011 All4Corners asked

All4Corners
Hi, I'm Natalie. My friend and I booked the trip and our airfare this past week.

We'll be flying into Beijing a day early and staying in Hong Kong an extra day. We're American, and have a national holiday that Monday (May 30th), which gives us an extra day to recoop.

My friend and I did the ConTiki "Egypt & the Nile" tour in December, and a couple others from our group might sign up for this trip as well (yalay-yala Habibi!).

So who's in?? I'm 31 and based in NYC.
  • 29 Jan 2011 Rxman said

Rxman

I am Steve signed up for this one last week, live outside toronto, I am 33. This will be my 8th contiki.

• 30 Jan 2011 preciousjewel17 said

preciousjewel17

Hi!
    I’m Julie and I’ve booked this trip too. I’m from the States as well, Boston currently, and am 32. Just got back from Mexican Fiesta last week and had a great time. I did the Egypt tour last January and loved it. Had a great tour manager, Sharif, and I assume (based on yala yala habibi) that you did too. Good thing you went before all the chaos erupted. China will be my 6th Contiki and I am wondering if we are going to be guinea pigs since we are basically the first tour. Beyond that, super excited!
    Cheers

• 14 Feb 2011 All4Corners said

All4Corners

Steve & Julie: cool, I look forward to meeting you guys in Beijing!

I think we ARE the first tour, so this should be interesting. Do you think the overnight train from Beijing is better than the one from Cairo to Aswan? I’m not getting my hopes up :)

• 14 Feb 2011 Craig B said

Craig B

Hi Guys,

I’ll be booking this tour this week! I’m 22 and from Australia but have lived in London for the last 3 years. I’ve done plenty of other traveling although this will be my first time with Contiki. I’ve heard great things so really looking forward to it!

Hope to meet you all soon!

• 16 Feb 2011 Rxman said

Rxman

Hello again, I believe this is the second tour starting as there is one earlier in May that is going. As for the trains from Beijing to Xi’an I think it is not bad per se , I did some research just to find out and this site seems to have good info on trains. We would be in soft sleeper, so bunk bed like and you get a little tv but prob of no use.

http://tinyurl.com/49b76tm

Hope that helps somehwat.

• 17 Feb 2011 Patrick said

Default_avatar

hello boys and girls…just booked this tour. my name is Patrick, I am 34 from Los Angeles. looking forward to meeting everyone. very excied about the tour. how did everyone go about getting their visa? ZVS as contiki suggested. I used this compnay when I went to Russia. they are very good, but I was also looking for other options. possibly cheaper??
    what about flight?? china southern air seems to have the best rates from the States.

• 26 Feb 2011 Raul said

Default_avatar

Hi Guys, just finished booking this tour. My name is Raul from San Diego, CA. This will be my 2nd time with Contiki. Very Excited to meet you all!!!

• 27 Feb 2011 All4Corners said

All4Corners

So I started looking into applying for a Chinese visa – that sucker’s $140!! Wow. Most companies tack on about $25-50 for submitting the application for you, but if you live in NYC, LA, San Francisco, DC, etc. you can apply in person and save yourself a bit of money. I’m still in shock at that price…

• 28 Feb 2011 Explorer1236086 said

Explorer1236086

Hi everyone, I just booked this tour as well. My name is Kate and I live in Chicago. I am 27 years old. I am excited for the trip and to meet everyone! I took a Contiki tour in Europe about 5 years ago and loved it. I am staying two extra nights in Hong Kong. I think I am going to book a hostel. I was looking at a couple of different ones. Is anyone else staying afterwards in Hong Kong? Any suggestions of where to book?

• 28 Feb 2011 Explorer1236086 said

Explorer1236086

Hi everyone, I just booked this tour as well. My name is Kate and I live in Chicago. I am 27 years old. I am excited for the trip and to meet everyone! I took a Contiki tour in Europe about 5 years ago and loved it. I am staying two extra nights in Hong Kong. I think I am going to book a hostel. I was looking at a couple of different ones. Is anyone else staying afterwards in Hong Kong? Any suggestions of where to book?

• 24 Mar 2011 LesleyFromCanada said

LesleyFromCanada

If people are looking for a hotel in Hong Kong after their tour, I recommend the Hop Inn. It’s a quirky little place and in a good area: http://hotel.zoapiere.com/

• 25 Mar 2011 canaer said

canaer

Hi everyone,
    My name is Tao and I live in QingDao. I am 31 years old.
    Welcome to China

• 26 Mar 2011 millie1987 said

millie1987

Hey guys

Im 23 from syd australia
    and thinking of signing up
    SHOULD BE GOOD FUN!

this will be my 2nd contiki and its always a hoot!

• 28 Mar 2011 Snow said

Snow

Hey everyone!!.. I’m Kalo (K-Lo)…
    I’m from Adelaide Australia.. I’m 26.. and this will be my 3rd Contiki… cant wait to meet you all!!… :)

• 28 Mar 2011 Explorer1084121 said

Default_avatar

This is something I would be most keen to do next as my once in a lifetime experience.I did Vietnam at the end of 2009 and that was awesome….it’s one thing to study about it in your high school history class in grade 10 or 11 but to actually see it in person WOW nothing can actually compare.I know I can’t go to Egypt at the present time but China will more than make up for that.

• 31 Mar 2011 Jacob NZ said

Default_avatar

Hello, I’m Jacob from New Zealand.
    I’m 24 and this will be my first Contiki trip.
    Heading to Beijing on the 16th after a conference in Shanghai.
    I’ve booked everything except 2 nights in Hong Kong, I fly out on the 29th.
    Still looking for things to do in Hong Kong so I can figure out where I should stay. Friends have suggested a few things like the big Buddha statue (Tian Tan) and the night markets, but I’d be interested to know what others are planning on doing.

In any case I look forward to meeting everyone in Beijing.

• 6 Apr 2011 Laura said

Laura

Hi everyone, I’m booked on this tour as well and really looking forward to it. It’s nice to hear from people in advance as well. My name is Laura, I’m 29, and I’m from Bristol in the UK. I’ve done 2 Contiki trips before, and I’ve been wanting to go to China for ages, so it worked out quite well that they started this tour! I’m flying in a day early and also having an extra day at the end, but I haven’t worked out what to do with that time yet.

Looking forward to meeting you all!

• 6 Apr 2011 millie1987 said

millie1987

HI
    Ive now signed up and having 2 extra nights in Beijingbefore and 2 extra nights at the end in Hong Kong.
    cant wait!

• 11 Apr 2011 lori said

lori

hi guys my name is lori and im from brisbane australia, il be joining you for this tour whhhoooooo :) its my 30th bday on the 28th of may( the day after our tour ends) while we are over there and plan to go to disneyland hong kong that day if anyone is interested on joining me, also il be staying in hong kong for 3 days after our tour and havnt got any accomadation booked yet, thinking im just going to wing it,
    have found a few cheap hostels in the kwoolong area that look pretty good according to lonely planet and only really plan to crash there as there is so much to see and do in hong kong,
    looking 4ward to meeting you all :)

• 11 Apr 2011 lori said

lori

also this will be my 5th contiki tour :)

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.