Community_discussions_small  

Question

Attn Aussies: Best credit card for Europe?

26 Jun 2007 Susan asked

Susan
I was reading in my Lonely Planet guide and they suggested that the Wizard Clear Advantage was the best travel credit card because they don't charge any foreign exchange or ATM fees.
What cards did you guys use or are going to use for your Europtrip?
Also, what is recommended, a magnetic strip or a chip on the card?? Cheers.
  • 26 Jun 2007 JOJO1983 said

Default_avatar

Hi,

I got the wizard clear advantage card but i havent used it yet. I got it because there are a few other messages on here that say that card is the best one to get, so i’m sure it’ll be fine.

• 27 Jun 2007 Bobbie said

Default_avatar

What about the good old Mastercard from the Commonwealth? And does anyone know, is it easy to withdrawl money from an ATM using the normal debit card?

Bobbie

• 27 Jun 2007 Cherie said

Default_avatar

i just got my westpac debit which acts like a credit card but doesn’t over max…….there’s no fees to use and ca be used everywhere…..also as a back up i’ve got my everyday card that can be used to withdraw and jsut needs to be cirrus, again no fees taken out

• 27 Jun 2007 bellyk said

bellyk

A lot of paces in the UK only accept the credit cards with a chip for over the counter purchases.
    New ANZ credit cards have a chip in them.

• 27 Jun 2007 jojo said

Default_avatar

Is that really the case about the UK only accepting credit cards with a chip?

Coz none of mine have a chip……

• 27 Jun 2007 Cherie said

Default_avatar

stupid question how do u know if your card has a chip???

• 28 Jun 2007 kimmygeorgie said

Default_avatar

I’ve looked into the wizard card too. It is operated by GE finance which I have found to be quite dodgy – so I’m a bit hesitant. When I spoke to them (well their guy in India) he said that overseas fee free is a current offer which may change in the future.

As for cards with chips – I used to have an ANZ card and the chip was a gold 5 cent coin sized gold square that is visable on the card – as far as I know ANZ are the only major bank that offer this.

I plan on taking my Virgin Mastercard and a VISA debit – i hope I don’t have any probs!

• 28 Jun 2007 Susan said

Susan

Hey guys,

So how “dodgy” are the GE people? Is it bad customer service? Or more major than that??

• 28 Jun 2007 ezmae said

Default_avatar

i have the same as Cherie the Westpac debit master card and my normal key card i hope i can use them in Europe and the UK. Does anyone know?

• 28 Jun 2007 kimmygeorgie said

Default_avatar

As long as your normal debit card is cirrus then you won’t have any probs overseas – I used my Commonwealth debit and mastercard regularly on my last trip to Italy and I never had a prob. I’m not taking this this time though mainly due to higher fees. It’s cheaper for me to use my VISA debit.

As for GE – I’ve dealt with them regularly in the past (I’ve had two other credit cards through them – Source and GO Mastercards). Their customer service isn’t great – you always speak to someone in India. They’ve played the I don’t understand you card when I’ve questioned fees and charges in the past, once they even hung up on me. You just have to be careful and watch your statements – I’ve been charged interest (which I shouldn’t have been) and they did it over 3 separate months so I had to ring them each time and get it reversed – a major pain. They aren’t terrible but the interest is generally high and I suggest always carefully checking your statements.

• 28 Jun 2007 Cherie said

Default_avatar

ezmae
    westpac says your debit can be used anywhere without charge and as for your everyday it can be used to mostly withdraw money from cirrus logo atms also without fees. the lady said to check your statement because u can be reinbursed if fees are charged

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion