Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Concept/Time Out - Pros/Cons

3 Oct 2009 Explorer1149924 said

Default_avatar
I'm heading to the UK early next year for 10 months and have recently decided I want to do a tour of some sort.

To people who have been done a contiki tour before what are the pros and cons of Concept tours and or Time Out tours. I've been browsing through the summer brochure for the last season just for a general idea and have seen a few that I like, some being concept ones and others time out ones. Any advice would be great
  • 4 Oct 2009 gg87 said

gg87

i recommend concept if you want to make heaps of friends, i did one in june this year and from what i hear of concept vs. time-outs concept is a way more sociable atmosphere because you room with different people all the time and become friends as opposed to staying in a private hotel room

• 7 Oct 2009 cdm115 said

cdm115

Most things about the potential differences of the two styles of tours are affected so much by who ends up in your group that I wouldn’t make a decision based on them – number of partiers, seriousness of travelers.

Things you should make your decision based on:
    Price – obvious.
    Rooming – Concept tours will genrally have 2-4 people in a room, roommates generally change at each location, ensuite bathrooms aren’t the norm. Superior tours you get one roommmate and stay with them the whole time, you’ll have a bathroom and the basic ammenities that come with a hotel.
    Chores – not a big deal for most people, I would do them, but I go on vacation to not have to do chores. Not a big factor for most people.
    Location of hotels – superior hotels are usually much closer to the cites, having the biggest impact on your ability to get back late at night, otherwise not a big problem.
    Social atmosphere – concept tours do lend themselves a bit more to a better social atmosphere, but it can depend a lot on the tour group too. not a big factor.

• 9 Oct 2009 Morgz88 said

Morgz88

I did the European Experience tour from 12th September til 1st October. Its a concept tour and was brilliant. We had ensuites at nearly every stop and its a much more fun party atmosphere. For the purpose of chores they have dishies/cookies at each place. You pretty much pitch in with wiping a few dishes or chopping up some salad, I would hardly call it chores. The rooming situation for pretty much all places was 4 share, in some you had 2 seperate rooms with 2 beds, in others you had 2 sets of bunk beds. We only had 2 couples on our tour and they spent more time mingling with everyone else than being together. On the few occasions that we stayed in hotels we didnt spend alot of time together, you can be split over several floors.

I would do a concept tour again in a heartbeat!

• 9 Oct 2009 BayGirl said

Default_avatar

I just came back from a concept tour, and it definitely is a very social atmosphere. I agree with Morgz88 about the chores – it takes up about 10 minutes of your day, you get to know some people from your tour better and they usually give you a shot to thank you! The cabins make for a very social atmosphere and it also makes you feel safe knowing that people are around you. We had about 5 couples on our tour and they were very social the whole time. The only place we didn’t have an ensuite was in the Swiss Alps.

I am usually very much a hotel girl who avoids camping like the plague, but I had the best time on my tour! You use your rooms pretty much just to sleep and shower, and you are so exhausted after a day of walking around the cities that you don’t care what you sleep on (and before Contiki, I had heaps of trouble sleeping even in hotel room beds)!

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion