Community_discussions_small  

Question

HOW MUCH MONEY IS NEEDED???

25 Sep 2007 Laurenic asked

Default_avatar
Hi All,

I am doing 2 Contiki tours - Simply Italy Nov 11-22 staying in Rome until next tour begins London & Paris Nov 24.

I will then head to Greece for the remainder of my stay, hopefully a few months depending upon how much cash I have left!!

Sooo........ was wondering what you guys think about how much cash you would need to survive and still have a good time in Europe - not only with these 2 Contiki Tours but also when I get to Greece.

I will be staying wit family in Greece so no accomodation costs need to be considered just food, fun & travel basically!

Any advice or thoughts welcomed Smiler
  • 2 Oct 2007 Dominique10 said

Default_avatar

Figure anywhere between 50 an 100 Euros a day. It also depends on what your spending habits are like too. 100 a day is more then plenty

• 2 Oct 2007 Laurenic said

Default_avatar

So how long do you guys reckon $15k will last then???

• 3 Oct 2007 Dominique10 said

Default_avatar

well….if you have 15,000 you should be good for at least 4 months. Again depending on your spending habits and what you need to do with that money in that time…..What do you think matt

• 3 Oct 2007 ptooma said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by Laurenic:
    So how long do you guys reckon $15k will last then???

First of all, budget in Euros. And as Matty mentioned, 100€/day will get you thru your tour in luxury wirh all the optionals included.
    Also, is that $15k in what currency? US$ CA$ AU$ NZ$ ???
    If it’s the US$, your purchasing power could shrink faster than you expect …

US$ vs EuroConfused<!--graemlin::confused:-->

- Vic

• 3 Oct 2007 Laurenic said

Default_avatar

Hi, it’s $15,000 AUD Australian dollars

• 4 Oct 2007 ashleightara said

ashleightara

Well then that’s around 9,400 EURO.

Budgeting 100€ a day will give you 94 days.

Assuming your on tour etc. for 30 days, thats 3000€

So you’d be able to spend around 120days with your family (at 50€ a day) if you’re careful with money.

I think you should be find Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

Also, if you want to be sure, create a generous budget (how much you will let yourself spend each day) and don’t go over it…if you do, live really stingy the next day to make up for it. Has to be the best way to make sure you don’t run out of money part way through…

• 6 Oct 2007 JC05 said

Default_avatar

If youre heading over to buy Gucci handbags (the real ones) and DG sunnies, Tag watches bla bla bla youre gonna need a bit of cash, if youre not into all that stuff, 3000-4000euro is gonna be heaps. And like matty said, most of greece has shut down now anyway. your spending will more than likely vary depending on where you are. Some places you’ll only buy a few souveniers, and some places youll shop up big. It all varies.

• 6 Oct 2007 lilly84 said

Default_avatar

okay so is there anyway to purchase euros right now (im in the us) to make my power better? im afraid if i wait the euro will just continue to beat the dollars ass, and all the money ive saved will be not worth much? can i buy euros here, or is it just smarter to take the gamble and wait until my trip (dec 28 07)

• 6 Oct 2007 ptooma said

Default_avatar

Lilly: You can probably purchase € from your bank – except it will probably be at a really crappy exchange rate in addition to a service charge. Furthermore, you probably don’t want to walk around with that much cash either.
    There are prepaid cash/debit cards from Travelex. I don’t think they are worth it since the fees are tantamount to highway robbery. Screwed if you do get it because of all the fees and you are also losing out on some miniscule interest, and maybe screwed if you don’t – since the exchange rate might get worse – and the US$ will sink further if the FOMC lowers interest rates again. Confused<!--graemlin::confused:-->

- Vic

• 7 Oct 2007 lilly84 said

Default_avatar

ummm…. so basically im screwed no matter what? thats pretty depressing Frowner<!--graemlin::(-->

• 17 Oct 2007 sharpec said

Default_avatar

I just came back from the Simply Italy tour, and I would agree with the suggestion to budget 100E a day. Some days you will spend much less than that, but others you will spend more. If you budget that much, you should be fine.
    the little costs will add up!

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.