Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Changing money in London

16 Jun 2010 AspiringAshley said

AspiringAshley
I leave tomorrow and was wondering which is better, to change $$ at the airport, or the Travelex next to the basement? Or just take it out at an ATM?
  • 16 Jun 2010 James K said

James K

ATMS will give you the worst exchange rates. I’d say go with travelex.

• 16 Jun 2010 cdm115 said

cdm115

James, where have you heard that? I’ve always heard that ATMs have the best rates. You might get hit with fees, but that’s different then getting a bad rate.

• 16 Jun 2010 ptooma said

Default_avatar

BTW if from the US … if you have schwab visa, it has no foreign exchange fees and 2% cash back (but that card is no longer offered). Capital One is one card one can apply for that doesn’t charge foreign exchange fees.

- Vic

• 16 Jun 2010 AspiringAshley said

AspiringAshley

I do have a capital one card, but since it was used to pay for alot of things in school/medical bills, its now for emergency use only. My main card will be my debit card from a local bank. I’m planning to use that for most of my money, but I’m also bringing a bit in cash to last me a little while. So the Travelex, then? Not the airport?

• 16 Jun 2010 Explorer1188427 said

Default_avatar

Thomas Cook’s bureau de change is the cheapest I have found. Its only 1-2 cents under and no fees.

Travelex and post office are both popular, but I noticed Cooks sign brags is better value then all the other bureau de change’s (inc post office).

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.