Changing money in London

16 Jun 2010 AspiringAshley said

I leave tomorrow and was wondering which is better, to change $$ at the airport, or the Travelex next to the basement? Or just take it out at an ATM?
  • 16 Jun 2010 James K said

James K

ATMS will give you the worst exchange rates. I’d say go with travelex.

• 16 Jun 2010 cdm115 said

James, where have you heard that? I’ve always heard that ATMs have the best rates. You might get hit with fees, but that’s different then getting a bad rate.

• 16 Jun 2010 ptooma said

BTW if from the US … if you have schwab visa, it has no foreign exchange fees and 2% cash back (but that card is no longer offered). Capital One is one card one can apply for that doesn’t charge foreign exchange fees.

- Vic

• 16 Jun 2010 AspiringAshley said

I do have a capital one card, but since it was used to pay for alot of things in school/medical bills, its now for emergency use only. My main card will be my debit card from a local bank. I’m planning to use that for most of my money, but I’m also bringing a bit in cash to last me a little while. So the Travelex, then? Not the airport?

• 16 Jun 2010 Explorer1188427 said

Thomas Cook’s bureau de change is the cheapest I have found. Its only 1-2 cents under and no fees.

Travelex and post office are both popular, but I noticed Cooks sign brags is better value then all the other bureau de change’s (inc post office).

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.