Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Stopover countries for shopping on the way to Europe

30 Oct 2006 Neets23 said

Default_avatar
Hi,

I'm planning my trip for next June (European Inspiration) and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for places to stopover for shopping on the way to Europe (from NZ). Hong Kong, Singapore, LA...... What are the best places for shopping?

btw, I'm a typical girl in my mid twenties who likes clothes and shoe shopping Big Grin
  • 30 Oct 2006 Kat said

Default_avatar

the flight that my agent is thinking of putting me on has a 7 hour stopover at HongKong apparently its a new airport. Just wondering if anyone has been there?? and is it good shopping and easy to navigate the place!
    7hours is a lot of time to waste!!

• 28 Jan 2007 Bliss Madonna said

Bliss Madonna

Hi, as my flight has a stop over at Singapore, i would love to know what sort of shops are at the singapore airport and are the prices cheap? I do not have enough time to venture outside the airport, so im curious to find out if the shopping is any good. Any response would be fantastic!

• 30 Jan 2007 Neets23 said

Default_avatar

Hi all,

Thanks for the great suggestions. I ended up booking my flights to go through Singapore, and am spending a couple of days there on my way back to NZ. Definitely want to visit Orchard Road.

The only thing now will be to make sure I keep to the weight restriction for my luggage, which could prove difficult! Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 2 Feb 2007 Dirrtybee said

Default_avatar

Good luck with that! I’m sure you will enjoy Singapore I always do!

• 13 Feb 2007 De'ann said

Default_avatar

Dubai is thee best for shopping! im spending 4 nites there after my encounter trip! everything is TAX FREE!!!! gold, cosmetics, perfumes, clothes, electronics…VERY CHEAP!!!!!

• 13 Mar 2008 Alex said

Alex

My pick would have to be Hong Kong—the shopping is top-notch and it has all of the designer shops, multiplied by 10! Each designer has its own store at nearly all of the major shopping districts, such as Queens Road Central and Times Square. Chep Lap Kok Airport also has a shopping mall with all the major brands.

Singapore also has good shopping, like on Orchard Road, but Hong Kong is much cheaper.

• 13 Mar 2008 Avidkeo said

Avidkeo

Hey there

My partner and I are going to london, leaving NZ on 5 May, cannot wait! We have decided to do a 5 day stop over in Hong Kong. We looked at HK and Singapore but decided on HK because Singapore is apparently really westernised. They do have good deals for people doing a stopover but we wanted to experience something completely different. I have spoken to a lot of friends who have all travelled and they all say HK is awsome and well worth the trip. and when you look at the exchange rate $1NZ = $6HKD so things are really cheap there to!!! They have disney land there and a really cool place called Ocean Park, which looks awsome. And of course if you go to HK you have to go to Happy Valley Racetrack! it may be horse races but they have really turned it into a tourist attraction, and for $100NZD you can go into the members area, and buffet dinner and all you can drink alcohol!

Good luck and enjoy what ever you decide to do!

• 13 Mar 2008 bec said

Default_avatar

Hey there Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->
    Im from nz too, and im doing the european insparation this sept – yay!
    Im stopping over in singapore, and ive never been there so that will be exciting. I would definatly choose hong kong though, it is an AMAZING city and the shopping is great (I had to send stuff home to mum haha) great exchange rate for the kiwi dollar too. and the food is great.
    if you are a shopper you will love hong kong Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 14 Mar 2008 *nikki_adelaide* said

Default_avatar

do not plan on shopping on the way over. do that on the way home. spend your time on the stop over on the way to London more as a sightseeing type stop over. otherwise too much extra weight, unless you plan to ship it home before your tour starts.

i went from Australia and did Singapore stop over on the way to London and Hong Kong on the way back. Singapore was not so good for shopping in my opinion, Hong Kong is good for cheap shoes, bags etc in the few different markets they have also all the fashion labels. i’d go through Hong Kong on the way home to shop….but i think you’ll actually do alot more shopping in Europe than you will in any stop over from the types of thing you said you like to shop for. Its hard to imagine what the shopping over London and Europe will be like, i personally imagined only high fashion stores but London and Europe has some decent cheaper shops, H&M is awesome you’ll definately go crazy in there they are everywhere.

Also spend some time in London after tour for shopping. Oxford st etc

• 15 Mar 2008 katva said

Default_avatar

Hi,

I can’t comment on shopping in the US, Europe or Dubai, but I have recently been to Singapore, Malaysia and Hong Kong. If you’re only interested in shopping then Malaysia (captial Kuala Lumpur) is the cheapest particularly with branded items. Hong Kong’s shopping is very good as well, only slightly more expensive than Malaysia and, from what I saw, more variety. Singapore was nice but not that cheap for shopping, prices were almost comparable with those in NZ.

If you plan to stop over for a few days/nights and are interested in sight-seeing, I would recommend Hong Kong over Malaysia. Singapore was also nice, but I was only there for a day. Public transport in Hong Kong is excellent, Singapore is very good too, I didn’t travel on public transport in Malaysia so can’t comment on that.

The other place I’d love to visit is Bangkok (Thailand), I’ve heard the shopping is very good there too and I think there’s quite a lot of sight-seeing to be done as well.

I figure the choice really depends on what you want to do with your stopover time and how long you will be there for Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion