Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Specific packing question

30 Apr 2009 Katieee said

Default_avatar
Hi all,

I am heading on a seven month adventure this year that includes working at a US summer camp, then doing a Contiki 'Grand Northern' then heading to Europe from October - Christmas Eve.

My question is, has anyone done something similar and have tips on what to pack (and how to pack it) when trying to fit both summer and winter gear into one bag? And what do I wear in Croatia/Italy in October, then London/France/Austria/Prague etc in November... how cold should I expect it to be?

Cheers, and sorry if this has been asked before.
  • 30 Apr 2009 Jeremy said

Jeremy

A lot of people do year long trips where they experience a variety of seasons. When I went to Europe I had to pack for just 2 confirmed days of cold because of going up the mountain in Switzerland when it was -2°C.

My recommendation would be to pack clothes that are capable of being layered for winter time that way they aren’t taking up wasted space in your bag for months. The other easy thing to do would be just taking a hoodie/sweatshirt to add for that extra layer of protection which would help on an off-season chilly night too.

As for weather, check out places like weather.com and major cities historical weather charts for the most accurate information.

• 30 Apr 2009 cdm115 said

cdm115

I would pack primarily for the summer, which means you will want a little bit of fall/winter type of clothes – pants and long sleeve shirts. Once you start to hit the cooler weather you can ship that stuff home since you wont be needing it. Also by then you’ll probably be sick of that stuff. For winter clothes you could either buy stuff, many people find the US is a cheap place to shop for clothes. OR you could have a package set up when you leave and have it shipped to you at the end of your stint at the summer camp or the end of your tour. That will take a little coordination and may cost more though.

Croatia and Italy in October could be a little hit or miss, maybe warm, maybe cool, don’t think it will be cold.

November though I would expect it to be fairly cold by then, maybe not freezing, but you’ll want a decent coat or jacket.

• 1 May 2009 Katieee said

Default_avatar

Thanks guys, looks like I’ll be hitting the shops on the road Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 1 May 2009 Explorer1132663 said

Default_avatar

i know some one done that before but he didnt had suitable clothes to winter
    you know what he done?
    he use anews paper
    yes he did and says tthat news paper provide alayers of protection

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.