Community_discussions_small  

Comment

~~~~Grand Southern Sept 2011~~~~

7 Jan 2011 Kiwi Traveller said

Default_avatar
Hi everyone!

I am from NZ and just wanting to know if there is anyone else travelling to USA on the Grand Southern tour starting Sept 8 2011? I am also on the LA explorer 4 Sept-7 Sept and NY explorer 4 Oct-7 Oct. Also, would be keen for any advice, I've never been to the USA before!!!
  • 9 Jan 2011 Matty said

Default_avatar

Hey there,

I did the Grand Southern in September last year and it was awesome! what sort of things do you want to know?

The weather in September was hotter then i expected. The only time it was cold was at the end in Washington and New York. So i wouldnt pack too many warm clothes. Pack some nice clothes for going out (not sure if you are male or female lol) but in Vegas and Miami it is dressy when you head to the clubs. Most people got dressed up when they went out anyway! There is a fair bit of driving, so make sure you take an ipod! and def take a good camera, there is so much to see and photograph on the tour!

Any Questions just ask!

Matt

• 17 Jan 2011 Steffo said

Default_avatar

Hi Matt,

I was wonder if you can help me out here.
    I am deciding whether to go on the southern tour or northern tour. Of of the two which is the better tour where you get to see more sights and do more activities? Any pro’s or con’s you can offer?
    I am thinking of travelling between August-September.

• 17 Jan 2011 Matty said

Default_avatar

Hey Steffo,

It really depends on the types of things you are interested in. The Grand Southern is definitely supposed to be more of a party tour. Think about the places you are most interested in seeing..

Both tours start in LA and end in NYC (stopping off at Vegas and Grand Canyon) The Grand Northern goes to alot of national parks etc but i promise you that after seeing the Grand Canyon nothing ‘natural’ on Earth will compare! I did the Grand Southern and then did parts of the Grand Norther myself- ie Toronto,Niagara Falls, Montreal, Quebec and Chicago. These were cool places but i don’t think they compare to the places on the Grand Southern (in my opinion) Texas was so awesome and so different to the rest of the US, Memphis and New Orleans were amazing with the jazz culture and the ‘do whatever you want’ culture in New Orleans… Miami was so cool too.. the Kennedy Space Centre, the million places in Washington (Arlington Cem, Museums, Dec of Independence etc) most of Americas history you can see in a couple of days in Washington…

The only thing i wish i could see which is offered on the Grand Northern is Mt rushmore…

The optional activies were also really cool on the Grand Southern (The helicopter ride over the Grand Canyon, the Hot air balloon, Miami party cruise, airboat swamp tour, jazz boat tour etc…

I think unless you are really into nature then the Grand Southern would definitely be the better choice. But keep in mind i only went to some of the places that the Grand Northern goes to.

If you have the time you could do the Grand Southern and spend a few days in LA before, as much time as possible in NYC (best place on Earth Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->) and head up to Niagara Falls for a day trip from NYC. If you have even more time then that head up to Canada for a week, you can get to those 3 Canadian Cities with a couple of nights in each place catching the VIA Rail train at a pretty minimal cost.

Anything else just ask!!

• 17 Jan 2011 Steffo said

Default_avatar

Hi Matt,

****ing hell you know how to write an essay!! lol
    I really appreciate you telling me the differences between the two tours.

Based on what you have said its really confirmed that the Southern is more for me!

I guess its time to start booking lol

Thanks Mate!

• 17 Jan 2011 Matty said

Default_avatar

haha uni does that to ya!

Enjoy, you will love it!!!

• 7 Feb 2011 Brad_1988 said

Default_avatar

Book for 26th August from new york to La,,,, myself and three mates will be oin there!!

• 29 Mar 2011 charliegirl said

charliegirl

Hey Kiwi Traveller, my best friend and i are both doing the grand southern on the 8th.

Only 6 months to go haha

• 30 Mar 2011 Explorer1241629 said

Default_avatar

On it!! yewww

• 30 Mar 2011 charliegirl said

charliegirl

hey explorer will you be joining??

• 31 Mar 2011 Cozzmo65 said

Default_avatar

Me and a mate are doing the grand southern on the 8th.and the L.A explorer on the 3rd of sept and the N.Y explorer on the 4th of oct. Cant wait.

• 31 Mar 2011 charliegirl said

charliegirl

Hey Cozzmo65 where abouts are you from?

Default_avatar

Hey charliegirl.Blenheim,New Zealand top of the south island.Are you doing the L.A explorer or N.Y explorer before or after?

charliegirl

Me and my friend will stay there for 2 weeks after the tour and will be doing it all on our own.

Are you doing them?

Default_avatar

That will be cool.yea we doing them both.its gonna be awsome a.we cant wait.

charliegirl

where are you staying before the tour?

It’s not long now!

• 4 May 2011 Tess85 said

Default_avatar

Hey guys!! I’m booked on the September 4 LA Explorer and the September 8th Grand Southern too!! Considering also booking the October 4 NY Explorer! Great to see others on all the same tours!! :)

• 9 May 2011 Megan.hether said

Default_avatar

Hey guys,

I am also booked to go on the LA Explorer and then the Grand Southern on the 4th and 8th of Sept. I will be exploring NY on my own and then having a well deserved rest in Hawai’i before heading back to OZ.

I am totally stoked, just booked my flights so it has all just hit in that it is real!

It is good to hear about temps etc for packing , I was wondering.

I will see you all there,

<3

M

• 10 May 2011 Tess85 said

Default_avatar

Hey M, great to see another solo traveller on the same tours… I’m on both tours!! It’s awesome to find others doing both the LA Explorer and the Grand Southern!! :)

• 11 May 2011 Timmy said

Timmy

Hey Guys,

Just book today to do the 8th of September Grand Southern and then following onto the New York Explorer!!
    I’m also a solo traveler, done the California High lights tour last year and just had a ball. Can’t wait to go back and see some more, just guttered the tour is on at the same time as the World Cup but I’m sure their will be a T.V playing somewhere :).

I’m a Kiwi but live on the Gold Coast, where is everybody else from?

Also is their a facebook page started for our tour yet?

Tim

• 12 Jun 2011 JC Perth said

Default_avatar

Hi Guys
    I am another solo traveler going on the Grand Southern on 8th September. I have another 2 weeks after in NY and still considering doing the New York Explorer as well.
    I’m from Perth.
    Less than 3 months to go now…..

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.