Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Vaccinations, Etc.

7 Aug 2007 superjess said

Default_avatar
Hey- Did anyone go on this trip andnot get any shots prior to? I am 30 yr old female & I cant remember the last time I had a vaccination. I dont have medical insurance right now so I dont really have many options...
  • 7 Aug 2007 Wade said

Default_avatar

I haven’t been on the Egypt one although we recently came back from the south pacific. I’d suggest taking some kind of antidiarrheal medicine as the chances of your stomach going haywire are pretty high in the middle east. Just google that word and you’ll find lots of stuff. I took some this trip and was fine. I didn’t take anything on a 14 day cruise to South America and spent four days in the bathroom. I would also look into getting a hepatitis shot. We are going on the Egypt trip in Decemeber and defintely taking medicine and getting shots.

Hope this helps…

• 8 Aug 2007 superjess said

Default_avatar

Thanks for the advice- I appreciate it!

• 8 Aug 2007 scuba_Nikki said

Default_avatar

Hey there,

I told my doctor that I’m going to Egypt in December. He gave me the Hepatitis A shot, the Typhoid vaccine, and a tetanus/diptheria booster shot. He also gave me a perscription for Cyprofloxacin in case I get crypto poisoning while I’m there.

I paid a total of $125. Only the booster shot was covered by OHIP and the rest are considered “travel” so they aren’t covered.

Hope this helps!

• 9 Aug 2007 hulasteph said

Default_avatar

Hey Superjess,

I just went to my doctor yesterday and he said I didn’t need anything but I have had recent Hep shot…but overall he said it would be fine. I did get a ton of Rx from him, ambien for plane and then jetlag pills and then another Rx for diarrhea just to be the safe side…I still hope you make next week’s trip. I also didn’t do the rush on the visa, will just do it there at the airport for $15, Steph

• 28 Sep 2007 cdm115 said

cdm115

When I went my doctor pretty much insisted in Hep A, and recommended Typhoid, my other shots were up to date. Mine happened to be covered by insurance, but was told that insurance companies are hit or miss with coverage.

• 8 Nov 2007 rebex said

Default_avatar

My doctor recommended the hep a and a second mmr (measles, mumps, rubella) booster if I didn’t have one. He said that typhoid shots are only 50% effective and typhoid is easy to treat, so it was at my disgression. If you plan on trips to like destinations, polio is also recommended. Antibiotics for diarrhea is important…Turkey was rough on my stomach this summer.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.