Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Packing list/Things I wish I knew before my Europe tour

22 Sep 2007 lkgreen said

lkgreen
I went on the European Impressions tour in Aug 2007. Below is my packing list, complete with commentary on problems and what I wish I had while I was over there. Hope this is helpful to some. Please email me @ lindsaykell@gmail.com if you have any other questions. I'd be happy to share!

Europe Checklist:

Clothing
Jeans (3)
Black Pants
Capri –I should have brought more of these. It was hot, but not many people in Europe wore shorts, so I wore these a lot.
Black Capri
Shorts (1) –One was fine, it is true what they say about minimal shorts in Europe. I only wore mine in Venice, because it was excessively hot.
L&S Black Skirt –It is important to bring nicer clothes because many people dressed up for dinner, even in the hotels.
Exercise Pants/Shorts –Never wore these.
P.J.s (T-shirt & Black Capri sweats) -Perfect
T-Shirts (7)
Long Shirts (2)
Dress Shirts (2) –I should have brought more dress shirts for the reason listed above.
Tanks (3)
Black Sweater –This is good for cold nights when you go out.
Swim Suit –One was plenty for the Impressions tour.
Walking Shoes
Flip-Flops –Most people stress to bring comfortable walking shoes, and it is true that they are important, but honestly, I wore my thongs half of the time and was totally fine walking around.
Dress Shoes
Undies (10) –This was a good number, because our laundry day was in Nice, which is day 10 or so.
Socks (10) Low-cut
Bras (3)
Jacket (Lightweight, waterproof, hood) –This jacket was the BEST. I totally recommend one because you will use it often.
Scarf –I never wore it.

Bathroom
Face wash
Cotton Squares
Deodorant (2)
Cover-up
Eyeliner
Mascara
Remover
Tampons
Shampoo
Conditioner
Antibacterial Soap (2)
Razor (2)
Brush
Hair Ties/Clips
Tooth Brush
Tooth Paste
Hand Dryer
Tissue paper (Lots, double for TP) –I only used my tissues for TP once. It was plentiful in all toilets.
Suntan Lotion
Face Towel
Tweezers Kit
Ibuprofen
Sudafed
Nyquil
Tums
Clairiton
Dramamine/Bracelets –If you suffer massively from motion sickness like me, and hate the drowsy feeling after pills, I would totally recommend the motion bracelets and a serum that goes behind your ears. I found both at Wal-Mart and they worked like a charm.
Cortizone
Pepto-Bismol
Vitamins/Pills (C, Women’s Daily)
Airborne –I took this and my vitamins every night before I went to bed without fail, and I never got sick. That is saying a lot, because I contract other people’s colds easily.
Travel Laundry Bag/Detergent –Very helpful. Instead of paying a lot for the hotel to do my laundry in Nice, I took some time in Florence to go to a laundry mat, which was super close to the hotel. It took a half an hour, and I did not have to worry about my things shrinking, like other people’s did in Nice.
First Aid Kit –Bring a box of Band-Aids. You will need them when you develop blisters from your dress shoes after your first night out.

Miscellaneous
Small Backpack for Day/Overnight Bag –We never needed an overnight bag, but I had a backpack, which held some extra clothes, my neck pillow, Ipod and other things. I left it on the bus in the day while I was tooling around the cities and in the hotel overnight. I would not recommend a backpack for a day bag, it is just too heavy and a hassle. I had a medium-size purse with a long shoulder strap that was attached to me during the day. It fit my camera and everything else I needed.
Camera
Batteries (Rechargeable & Non) –If your camera eats batteries like mine does, I recommend rechargeable batteries. Charge them all BEFORE you go. Make sure that the charger is the correct voltage to work in your adapter, because mine was not and it fried the charger. I ended up buying another charger and batteries in Germany. Best Buy: $30
Recharger
Adapter –DON’T forget this! It’s an adapter to make your American devices work in Europe. Also, double and triple check voltages to make sure they are compatible; otherwise you’ll fry your electronics.
Memory Cards –I recommend at least 2 gigs. It was a drag for people to put pics on CD’s every 3 days. Best Buy: $20
IPod/Charger –I only used my Ipod on the airplane. They play music and movies on the bus.
Glasses/Sunglasses
Small Flashlight
Travel Alarm clock
Reading/Travel Book
Contiki Pack
Money Belt –I wore it on my waist under my clothes maybe five times. Most of the time it was in my purse, like a wallet. Target: $10
Pens/Journal/Address Book –Try to stay on top of your journaling. You’ll be happy later.
Sewing Kit
Insect Repellent –I got eaten ALIVE the first three days until I put this stuff on.
Plastic Baggies (Wet Stuff/Liquids)
Water Bottle
Granola Bars
Watch
Locks –Don’t put your locks on your suitcase until you get to Europe because even the TSA ones tend to get lost during baggage check. I used one on my backpack and suitcase every time I left them in the room. Target: $10
Spot Remover
Neck Pillow –If you don’t have one, get one. It’s the best. Target: $8
Umbrella
Duct Tape
Poncho

To Do Before Europe:
Shop
Call Bank/Mobile –Just to tell them you will be using your card/phone outside the states.
Pack
Get Euros –I did mine through my bank.
Traveler’s Checks? –I didn’t bring them, and I have no regrets.
Money in Account
Pay Bills
Check Flights
Europe Train Schedule –Make sure you are familiar with the tube routes and what one you need to take.
Make Copies/Scans of Passport & Cards
Activate Calling Card
Get new Cell Phone –Make sure your cell phone can be used in Europe. The calling card only worked some of the time. A lot of hotels charged you for the phone, and some didn’t even have one. Be cautious, cells calls are spendy.

Other things I wish I knew:
-Read your Contiki packet more than once. Lots of good info in there.

-The tour guides are a wealth of information. They will give you maps, history lessons, cool places to go and tons more. Don’t hesitate to ask him/her questions because know what they’re doing.

-Keep change in your pocket. It might seem lame, but you have to pay for the toilets at almost every restroom.

-The bus stops about every 2-3 hours at a rest stop/eating place. Spain and France’s were outrageously expensive, but the rest were reasonable.

-Do all the Optionals. You will be so glad you did.

-Put yourself out there and ask different people to do things with you. This eliminates continent-cliques.

-The language barrier really wasn’t that bad. Use hand signals and listen to voice tones.
  • 2 Feb 2012 jade89 said

Default_avatar

I only did the hotel tour, and no one took a sleeping bag, I don’t remember seeing anyone with a proper pillow… I think that would be really annoying to carry around. A lot of people had small travel pillows, and I’d definitely recommend one of those. I got an inflatable, not a beanie one, and I liked the inflatable much better (it went flat at the back, I found the beanie ones very uncomfortable).

• 5 Feb 2012 NicoleCooke said

NicoleCooke

thankyou very much!!

• 6 Feb 2012 Marian said

Marian

This is brilliant. You’re a life saver.

I need to know though, should the jacket be wind proof as well? I’ve been looking around and they’re quite pricey. Any tips on good places to get it cheap?

And I’ll be going in July where it’s hot but I’ll also be in the Swiss Alps … Do you reckon I’ll need it?

• 6 Feb 2012 Rachlovestravel said

Rachlovestravel

Awesome list, thank you so much

• 8 Feb 2012 Tracy! said

Tracy!

Thank you!
    I’m worried about what to pack…I tend to over pack on every trip I go on. I plan to shop a lot, so I am hoping I can pack the bare minimum!

Back to flat ironing the hair question…I must do it every day!! The different outlets isn’t going to totally fry my hair..is it?

• 19 Feb 2012 Emma B said

Emma B

tracy – no you wont fry your hair but i have seen people blow the outlets if they dont have the right plugs.

one thing i will do next time i go is pack less. I packed a lot of things thinking i will need it and too be honest you don’t. I travelled in May and brought a variety of winter/summer clothes and i brought a going out outfit for each night (which was a mistake) most of the places we went to were casual i could have gotten away with wearing jeans.
    - I did not bring Toilet paper/flashlight/face towel/sun screen/shampoo/conditioner/tweezers or duct tape???

I wish i had brought a first aid kit, by my 9th day on my tour my feet were so blistered it was hard to walk thankfully on my tour we had a doctor who had those things but i just wish i had my own.

• 23 Feb 2012 BecS said

BecS

I’ll be going on the Scandi & Russia tour in June this year. If anyone can give any tips what stuff to bring, that’d be awesome. I’m mainly wondering if I’ll need a lovely warm jacket for the northern regions??

• 14 Jun 2012 HN610 said

HN610

im going on the simply italy tour next month. im wondering wat i should pack clothes wise. i heard many ppl saying casual dresses r the best. do u think dresses r ok for a day to day bias for sigh seeing and such or should i stick with shorts and tanks? i heard its gonna be really hot during the time im going also. any advice would help a lot. thanks!

• 14 Jun 2012 Explorer1296283 said

Explorer1296283

I just got back from doing Road to Athens. We were in Italy toward the end of May and it was hot then. I didn’t take many dresses with but I also don’t wear a lot of dresses at home either. It would have been nice to have a couple light weight dresses for those really hot days. Casual dresses are great for day to day sightseeing. Looking back I do wish I would have packed a couple. One thing to remember is that for churches and other religious buildings you will have to have your knees and shoulders covered or they will not let you in. Have a great trip!

• 15 Jun 2012 HN610 said

HN610

ohh ok! thank you so much that helped a lot! i was worry cause i wear mostly dresses specially when its hot and sticky out. i prefer them over shorts and a tank. i will keep the church thing in mine. thanks again!!!

• 7 Jul 2012 Explorer1367158 said

Default_avatar

IM LEAVING NEXT SUNDAY, LUCKY I FOUND!

• 10 Jul 2012 jofh said

Default_avatar

Very useful information :) I am going for a holiday :)
    hurtownia elektryczna

• 3 Sep 2012 kia88 said

kia88

I was considering just using an over the shoulder purse to carry round every day. What do most women use? Purse or small backpack? I considered both but thought the purse would be easier to carry around and protect especially in crowds.

• 25 Sep 2012 Teleah88 said

Teleah88

thanks sooo much for this list. This will definately come in handy when i pack :-)

• 6 Dec 2012 JenniferReyann said

JenniferReyann

Wow, this is a really great list and resource. Thanks a lot! :)

• 11 Jan 2013 AyashaC said

Default_avatar

Does anyone have advice for the Berlin to Budapest in march 2013? It’s my first time traveling alone so I don’t even know what to ask or where to start

• 22 Jan 2013 Milly said

Default_avatar

That was so helpful – I was thinking about taking a small to meduim sized back pack on the bus, but then leaving it on the bus during the day and just taking a little purse with a long strap out and and about with me so I’m glad you put that you did that coz now I know it will be ok to do that, thanks!

• 11 Apr 2013 Jessica said

Jessica

Thank you for this list! really helpful

• 15 Jun 2013 Monica said

Monica

Thanks for sharing, This list seems like it’ll cover everything!!

• 30 Aug 2013 bec_traveliss said

bec_traveliss

This is the best list ever! You just eliminated so much stress and suggested things I hadn’t thought of yet! Doing the Simply Italy in less than a month, and I’m so excited!!!

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.