Community_discussions_small  

Question

Opinions/suggestions on type of camera to take?

3 Apr 2014 Genevieve asked

Genevieve

Hi all! I'll be going on my contiki in May and I've started wondering about the camera that I was going to take. I've got a DSLR camera but I'm having second thoughts about taking it (i.e. insurance costs, pickpockets, breakages etc.). What types of cameras have other people taken/are planning to take, and were you happy with them?

• 6 Apr 2014 Jordan said

Jordan

I’ve taken a regular point and shoot and I’ve taken the Canon G12. The G12 does pretty much everything an DSLR will do, but it just doesn’t have the lenses. I didn’t bring my DSLR just because I didn’t want the hassle of lugging it around or having to switch out lenses. A friend of mine brought her DSLR and enjoyed it but we did have to stop once and a while for her to change lenses. I didn’t notice any difference between the quality of her photos compared to the ones I took with the point and shoot or the G12.

So it really comes down to personal preference. I just didn’t wanna lug around a monster! Hope it helps.

• 8 Apr 2014 MichaelClark said

MichaelClark

I did the Inspirations tour 2 years ago. I used a small camera but it had a long range zoom. I’m doing another contiki in June in USA. I’ve got a sony compact camera. It’s got a 20x zoom. For travel it’s perfect. I normally flick between my camera on my phone and standard camera. You’ll like the inspirations tour.
    If your coach driver is OJ then that’s who was my coach driver.

• 17 Apr 2014 Leeno said

Leeno

I always leave my DSLR at home for big trips for the same fears. A few people on my tours have taken theirs – though I remember seeing a camera bag come flying out of the overhead lockers on the bus as it went round a corner through the mountains :/
    My last trip across Europe I bought an Olympus tg-2 tough camera. It has the best reviews out of the tough cameras, and I had a lot of compliments on my photos, and a lot of people wanted to buy one by the end of the tour. The best thing is you don’t have to worry so much if you drop it, and you can get photos in the water etc that no one else can get.
    Whichever one you end up with – a smaller camera does leave you freer to live in the moment in those wonderful places without being paranoid of your equipment all the time.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion