Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Hair Straightner!

20 Apr 2008 Krystle39 said

Krystle39
Help!! I absolutely neeeed a hair straightner but I really dont want to bring my expensive one and chance it blowing up. What brands of dual volatage straightners should I be looking into? I dont care if its cheap or expensive as longs as it works
  • 20 Apr 2008 MJ said

Default_avatar

I don’t remember what it was called but do a search for hair straighteners and there is a previous thread on this subject. You just need to get a converter box that has a switch for high and low voltage. I got one at Walmart for about $20 us a few years back. Just make sure you get the attaching plug that goes with the country you are visiting.

• 21 Apr 2008 Vashnie said

Vashnie

Hi, iam a bit confused about high voltage low voltage converters. Iam from South Africa and my GHD says 240volts on it, is it safe to use in the UK and Europe ??

• 22 Apr 2008 Katiebee said

Katiebee

UK and Europe is 240 volts, so you will be fine to use it! I’m from NZ and we are also 240 volts and i just used all my stuff as normal. Its american voltage 110 that will cause problems and need the voltage box thingees. You will have no worries though.

• 22 Apr 2008 Vashnie said

Vashnie

Thanks Katiebee. That really clears things up

• 22 Apr 2008 peteywoods said

peteywoods

im beimg blonde here too but oz appliances work all ok over there with an adaptor aye?

• 10 May 2008 LKPhilly said

LKPhilly

just buy a converter, i got a converter box for $10 and i’m taking my good ol’ conair that was $15 at Target.

• 10 May 2008 Bradleyc123 said

Bradleyc123

What happens if your straightener says 250-440 volts??

• 11 May 2008 julie85 said

julie85

this thread caught my eye because i am a straightening iron addict also! i just bought one over here (in europe) because I was using my blow dryer & the adapter/converter blew! i didnt wanna risk it with my straightener from home. i got a BaByliss wet/dry iron for less that 40 euro & it works great! i recommend just doing that. then again.. i will be in europe for 5 months doing various things so it was worth the investment moreso than if i was on a 2 week tour. hope this helps!

• 15 May 2008 Carly said

Carly

What if your hair dryer says 1800 to 2000 watts.
    Can that work over in europe or do you need a converter box?

• 15 May 2008 jess_21 said

Default_avatar

I know this is prob a stupid question but im just double checking!

Is ‘worldwide voltage’ and ‘dual voltage’ the same thing?

• 29 May 2008 Explorer1100940 said

Default_avatar

watts is the amount of power u r using,so this doesnt matter with where u use ur straightener,if i remember correctly in europe the nominal voltage is 110volt.in australia it is 240 volts.therfore if i bring a european straightener to australia it will burn out very quik.bringin an australian straitner to europe will b fine as it have been made to suit 240 volts but is only using 110 volts.one problem with this is it wont get nearly as hot at it would in australia

• 29 May 2008 Vivz said

Default_avatar

My hair straightner is a Remington.
    230-240V~50Hz
    I already have a adapter/converter, but will my hair straightner be alright for europe? I know some people have said if you have a 240 then it’ll be fine. But, I’d rather make sure. Just in case I blow the cabin up. Eeker<!--graemlin::eek:-->

• 29 May 2008 Sarah Smiles said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by Explorer1100940:
    watts is the amount of power u r using,so this doesnt matter with where u use ur straightener,if i remember correctly in europe the nominal voltage is 110volt.in australia it is 240 volts.therfore if i bring a european straightener to australia it will burn out very quik.bringin an australian straitner to europe will b fine as it have been made to suit 240 volts but is only using 110 volts.one problem with this is it wont get nearly as hot at it would in australia

Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->
    Voltage in the US is 110v
    Europe is 220v
    Australia is 240v

For you ladies with the GHD straighteners that say 110-240v, that is what I have (the GHD 4, which is world-wide voltage) and it works great in Europe! All you need is an adaptor – no converter. The GHD straighters have an internal converter.

Oh and FLKim, I LOVE folica.com – great suggestion! Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.