Community_discussions_small  

Question

What happens at French Customs when you take a ferry?

15 May 2010 Explorer1182530 asked

Default_avatar
Hey guys, i will recently be taking my first tour around europe. On the way we take a ferry to France after departing London and will have to go through customs. Ive never done this before as it is my first time traveling and i was wondering what happens during this process?.

Does it take a long time to get through? do you get asked loads of questions? does it make it quicker if you have a european passport?.
Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated as i have been worrying about this process.
  • 15 May 2010 cdm115 said

cdm115

When I went from France to England we went through customs. It was quick, they just asked a few questions about what your purpose was and when you were leaving, nothing crazy.

• 16 May 2010 Explorer1132402 said

Default_avatar

Hey if you are travelling with a British passport you will have no issues whatsoever. I had a British passport and when we all got off the coach to go through customs they did not even ask me any questions at all, they looked at my passport, said “oh your british” and let me go straight through.

For the non british they were asked a couple of questions and had their passports stamped. to be honest it seemed as if they were asked more questions on the return into the UK than they were going into France.

• 17 May 2010 sophc said

sophc

At the Dover port we had 5 people from our tour picked at random to get their suitcases xrayd while we all stayed on the bus. Took 15 mins if that all up. When we went through from Calais we all had to go through with our passports and get them stamped. The whole bus was in and out in like 20mins. They can see your all traveling on a coach so they keep thee questions simple. The Best part was that you actually get a stamp in your passport!!! Its very exciting to see your passport filling up slowly Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion